1. Model 3 is coming. Get your Model 3 Owners Club apparel today!

Dismiss Notice

Surge Protection for Garage

Discussion in 'Charging and Infrastructure' started by EV3Tim, Apr 20, 2016.

More threads by EV3Tim
  1. EV3Tim

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Dayton, OH, USA
    is it worth spending some $550 to install surge protection as 240V power is laid into the garage in preparation for new garage doors and an eventual M3?

2. TrevP

M3OC Founder / Administrator
    Founder M3OC Supporting Member
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Aurora,Ontario
    Tesla Owner:
    Reservation
    Country
    Are you in an area that has power issues?

If you do just make sure it is rated to handle the voltage and amperage of at least a level 2 charger. If you can wait until next year we should know more about the charging requirements for Model 3.

• Like Like x 1
  3. EV3Tim

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Dayton, OH, USA
    Thanks for the swift response, TrevP! We have an almost annual power outage on our side of the street. Otherwise no problems. The guys are here today putting in a NEMA 14-50, etc., and can add the surge protectors (one for whole house and one for garage) today or later. Up to us.

4. thecatdad

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Mentor, Ohio
    I saw garage doors connected to 240 vac before. It was absolutely hilarious how quickly that motor moved those doors!

I obviously don't know your situation, but here in a suburb of Northeast Ohio it cost about $400 to have a whole home surge protector installed. I trip is once a quarter to make sure it works. It works!

• Like Like x 1
  5. teslaliving

Top-Contributor
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Boston
    Tesla Owner:
    Model S
    Country
    A company came out with a surge protector for the Model S and asked me to review it. I called Tesla and asked them about the issue and if I needed to worry. They told me that the Model S charge cable is protected from surges and surge protectors are completely unnecessary. I declined the review.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. EV3Tim

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Dayton, OH, USA
    Thanks very much for the news! My electrical contractor wonders whether all the Tesla charge cables protect the vehicles from surges. Do you have contacts who would know?

7. AEDennis

Top-Contributor
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Southern California, Most of the time...
    Country
    The Model S (and Model X) UMC that comes with the car (in North America) adjust to the types of plugs and supply to limit the charge. It is smart enough to see the load and adjust the rate downward.

For example, on our cross-country trip last year, when I spent time at my cousin's house (day 10, day 14, day 15), the 110V connection worked at 1 mile per hour originally and finally found the sweet spot at 2 miles per hour (not the 4) because of the quality of electrical connection that he had (it was the longest run in the house.)

This capability was added after some of the much publicized Tesla Model S "fires" from years ago. (It's important to note that some of the UMCs sold in Canada are sold restricted to 30A, I believe (even with a NEMA 14-50) to comply with Canada's electrical authority or standards, (I'll have to see if I can find the source, this is years ago, I believe)).

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. teslaliving

Top-Contributor
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Boston
    Tesla Owner:
    Model S
    Country
    Not sure what you're asking. I asked Tesla directly and they said a surge protector is not needed.

Found the email:

"On November 19, 2014 at 1:11:16 PM, ServiceHelpNA (servicehelpna@teslamotors.com) wrote:

Thank you for contacting Tesla Motors Technical Support. The Model S has protections in place built into the cable as well as the car to avoid any issues with electrical supply. The car is very smart and will protect the battery and charging system from any outside influence."

• Like Like x 1
  9. AEDennis

Top-Contributor
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Southern California, Most of the time...
    Country
    OK, found the discussion on TMC about capping UMC in Canada (apparently 32A, not 30A)

Southern Ontario Tesla Owner's Club

10. EV3Tim

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Dayton, OH, USA
    Received some very helpful information from Tesla Home Charging Installation expert:

"All Tesla vehicles have built-in surge protection, so it is not required. That being said, there is no real protection against a direct lightning strike. The door motors probably don’t have built-in surge protection so it might be a good idea for those.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Colin Flynn |Associate Manager, Home Charging Installation3500 Deer Creek Road, Palo Alto CA, 94304
    p: 650.681.5325 | cflynn@tesla.com

[​IMG]"