Suspension Options

Discussion in 'Customizing & Modifications' started by ericsmithcpa, Aug 6, 2018.

1. ericsmithcpa

Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Reservation
    Country
    Is there a consensus yet on what the most well-sorted lowered suspension available for the Model 3 might be right now? Just want to make sure I have a clear picture of all the Model 3 suspension options... I'm loathe to spend a bunch of money on an expensive car upgrade without some more info (this from a guy who ordered a performance model without a test drive). I drive fairly hard sometimes, and may consider an occasional track day but I don't anticipate much competitive driving... I'm kind of looking for (1) well sorted solution, with no odd noises, rattles, rubs, alignment problems, etc, with (2) substantially less wheel gap - I don't have to tuck the wheels behind the fenders, but something lower than stock with (3) no reverse rake, and (4) firm confident handling that can be reasonable enough for street driving too.

I'm thinking that I'll need coilovers to satisfy my requirements (3) and (4) above... but these are all the options I know of.

1. MPP Coilovers, $2,350. So far it seems this may be the best available and the most expensive option. I saw the video of the MPP car on the track, haven't seen a thorough third party review of the coilovers (there are two versions, comfort and sport).
    • Also from MPP - not for lowering, but - camber and toe arms seem to be worthwhile (though I haven't read many reviews on them). It seems good to have to keep things well sorted. Unsure if a front end solution is in the works, and haven't seen a full review of them, would be interested to hear experiences.
    2. Unplugged Performance springs, $365 (Seems to be a very popular option, but some issues with reverse rake, and reports of new noise in the cabin and especially rear-end noise is giving me pause):
    • Mild is 1" drop, only for RWD Model 3.
    • Moderate is 1.5" drop, dual rate springs. (only option for AWD/performance model)
    • Low is 2.1" drop, only for RWD.
    3. TSportline Springs. $350. 1" drop. Somewhat softer than other springs (any NVH issues?). Reverse rake seems less noticable (maybe only because it's not a very big drop). RWD only. Any AWD/perf option in the works?

4. Eibach Springs. $324. 1.2" drop, available for RWD only. I have heard very little about them - curious about the NVH experience compared to the UP springs, and if this too gives the appearance of reverse rake, etc. Anyone done a full review on these? Pictures? Any thoughts about Eibach on the rear, with Unplugged on the front to get rid of reverse rake? Might not be good to mix and match (I'm not pretending to be an expert, feel free to explain if this is a dumb idea).

5. Unplugged Performance Coilovers (pre-order for $1995). I have no info on them other than what's on UP's website. Any thoughts on how these might be expected to compare to the MPP coilovers from folks who know more about coilovers than I do?

Maybe the best option might be to wait a year and see what other options come available?

2. MrBCC

Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    You summed up the available information I could find as well.

I ended up purchasing the TSportline springs since there we no reported issues with noises, the front's are linear compression and the rears are progressive compression, there is no perceivable rake, and they have been supplying Teslas for years. Now I just need to get them installed!

Also, I didn't want a huge drop, so 1" seemed to be the best option other than the .7" from UP.

MPP Coilovers would have been best, but I couldn't justify the $$.

• Like Like x 1
  3. slotti

Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    I'll bump this, since I am very curious as well. Don't feel like changing the entire suspension, just the springs. Looks like only TSportline really gives you that option, since I heard side effects on UP.

• Like Like x 1
  4. ericsmithcpa

Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Reservation
    Country
    Yep... I would like to hear people chime in with comments/reviews of the suspension they are using... There's relatively little information about many of these options yet. I think the only currently available options for performance-AWD folks might be the MPP coilovers and the UP moderate springs. I was kind of hoping that someone from UP might be able to comment on their coilovers (I'm not sure if they are available yet, the website says preorder at $1995, but it lets me put them in the cart), also the issues that people are having with the moderate springs. I think I read that that UP suggested that installation may have been causing these issues, but I haven't heard any details.

5. quadmasta

Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    I haven't seen anybody mention noise/issues with the UP moderate springs so thanks for bringing that up. I was about to order the moderate springs.

Anybody have the UP Moderate and have actual first-hand experience with any noise/issues?

6. ericsmithcpa

Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Reservation
    Country
    I have no firsthand info... these bumps could be something entirely unrelated to the UP Springs for all I know, and that would be terribly unfortunate... not trying to say bad stuff about UP, they are a well respected company that has done a lot for the Tesla crowd and I might wind up ordering their coilovers (or even the springs if some better info comes out about this alleged issue). That said, this is a link to a thread with some people discussing it... at least a few people mentioned this as a possible problem: https://model3ownersclub.com/threads/lowering-your-model-3-experiences-feedback-satisfaction.6919/. I am pretty interested to hear about the UP coilovers too - maybe Ohlins parts - should be sweet.

7. JustTheTip

Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    No
    Country
    Don't even have my car, and I'm already saving up for the Mountainpass/KW coilovers. lol

My current car, an Infiniti G37xS sedan has aftermarket springs. Learned my lesson. Wish I had more adjustability for the winter months. Car is a snow plow sometimes.

I'd imagine those of you who don't get winters would be fine with just springs.

• Like Like x 1
  8. ericsmithcpa

Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Reservation
    Country
    Does anyone have experience with aftermarket air suspension? I wonder if it could be adapted to the Model 3? Maybe fit the tank in the frunk?

9. JustTheTip

Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    No
    Country
    Anything is possible if you have the money. ;)

10. Rick Rollens

Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    No
    Country
    Asking around this Site if anyone is aware of Performance and/or AWD lowering springs are in production by any vendors.

11. rrollens

Expand Collapse

Country
    Found out, and pre-ordered, Tsportline lowering springs for AWD.

12. Kevin Smith

Expand Collapse

Country

I have not purchased the TSportline springs yet, but I would like to know what you think after you have them installed. In a perfect world I would get the MountainPass Coilovers, but I am having a hard time justifying the cost for a car that will only be my daily driver.

13. MrBCC

Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    I had a hard time justifying the cost too. However I do like the springs. A local shop in the bay installed them last week. I like the drop, just enough and not too slammed.

Very similar in driving feel as stock :

Attached Files: