1. It's OK to discuss software issues here but please report bugs to Tesla directly at servicehelpna@teslamotors.com if you want things fixed.

Temporary lost backup camera and autopilot

Discussion in 'Software and Firmware' started by Ken Voss, May 7, 2018.

1. Ken Voss

M3OC Supporting Member
    M3OC Supporting Member
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    Yesterday I experienced some odd behavior BTW I am on 2018.14.13

When I backed up out of my garage I noticed that there was no backup camera, just a black screen where the camera image should have been, I made a mental note but didn't think that much of it at the time. I got on the highway and Autopilot would not engage, neither would cruise control. I looked at the screen and noticed that the image of my car didn't show any lane markers or nearby vehicles so I assumed that none of the cameras were not functioning.

I pulled off the road and tried to reboot and that did not help. I called Tesla roadside assistance and they recommenced that I try to power cycle which I did, and that didn't help either, they said it must be a firmware issue and made an appointment with a service center for me (3 weeks out was the soonest).

I continued on my trip because other than backup camera and Autopilot everything else was working fine. I parked, the car locked itself when I walked away as usual, and when I came back to it 10 minutes later and like magic everything worked perfectly!

Anyone else have a similar experience where just letting the car lock and unlock fixed an issue?

• Informative Informative x 4
  2. mtdoak

Expand Collapse

Country
    I've experienced the "black camera" when backing up twice. Next time I used reverse it worked.

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. SoFlaModel3

Team Midnight Silver
    Moderator M3OC Supporting Member
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    I’ve experienced the black screen (with white lines showing the path of the car) a few times, but each time it was resolved by putting the car into P and then D again.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. BLDRN3R

Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    I experienced same issue as described above on day 3 of ownership. Had blacked out camera 2x Ince then, but similarly, upon parking and returning it was all fixed. Im also on 2018.14.

5. Joaquin

Expand Collapse

Country
    Same issue here.

Backup camera going totally black, usually just for 1-2 seconds, and usually coming back to normal by itself without doing anything.

My autopilot likes to go lazy a lot. Friday worked all day, and stopped at night. Last Saturday was not working the whole day (day trip to Santa Cruz, gone the whole trip).

Sunday morning still the same, after 5 miles I decide to stop and do a "hard reset" (foot on brake and pressing 2 scroll buttons) and after that Autopilot back to normal.

I sent a "bug report" while the autopilot was gone. Also sent a "question" to Tesla (the website option) and got an email this morning saying that I just need to call them. I hate calling, but will do if this keeps coming :(

• Like Like x 1
  6. Joaquin

Expand Collapse

Country
    #6 Joaquin, May 8, 2018
    Last edited: May 8, 2018
    This morning autopilot was gone again. After 1 mile I decide to pull over, do a hard reset, and go back to the road again... still not working.

Did the same again after some minutes, and still no luck. Sent bug report.

When I arrived at work decided to try the phone call. As I expected, I was on hold for like 5 minutes, so decided to hang up and try again in another time.

Edit: in my commute back home, autopilot/cruise still not available. Called Tesla again, and while on hold they provide an option to get a call back, and did that.

Half an hour later got the call, described the issue, and provided some "timestamps" on when this was happening. The guy on the phone mentioned that he needs to pass all this info into their diagnostics team, and I should have a call back from them in a couple days.

7. android04

Expand Collapse

Country
    I had the same issue as you last Saturday, and also on 2018.14.13 firmware version. Backup cam just showed a black screen and using scroll wheels to reboot the computer didn't fix it. Was feeling a little bummed about encountering my first issue with the Model 3 that might require service. I parked in my garage and started charging the car. The next time I had to use the car, the camera worked and has worked fine since.

8. sclyde

Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    Loss of backup camera is a common occurrence for me lately unfortunately. Usually comes back eventually, whether the same day or the next. The annoying thing is that the entire display freezes for a few seconds when the backup cam comes up blank. It's trying hard to do something... Hoping 2018.18.1 or whatever we're up to now fixes it.

9. BLDRN3R

Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    Im on 18.1 and black backup cam has been every other day it seems. Frustrating. What is the fix?

10. GregRF

Expand Collapse

Country
    I've also had it come back on by closing the back up screen ("X" in top right corner), then manually toggling the reverse camera back on.

11. Spiffywerks

M3OC Supporting Member
    M3OC Supporting Member
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    Those getting the black screen, are you seeing it when you backup right after getting into your car and reversing? Or does it happen at anytime?

I noticed that the black screen happens to be only if I go into reverse right after getting into the car. It seems like the car hasn't fully booting when I put it into reverse, so the camera isn't ready. After a few seconds it usually does come on though.

• Informative Informative x 2
  12. Joaquin

Expand Collapse

Country
    In my case, it goes black randomly, but only for like 2 seconds, and comes back without any further action.

I'm more concerned about the Autopilot thing, thought. Yesterday it worked all day without any issue. This morning I had a longer commute than usual, and was not working at all the whole trip :(

Still no word from Tesla.

13. GregRF

Expand Collapse

Country
    I've generally been backing into parking spaces, so for me it has happened at the end of my journey.

14. aquadoggie

Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    Yes, I've only had it happen a few times, but always when first getting into the car.

15. zosoisnotaword

Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    I have what you have. Usually fixable by X'ing out and then manually popping the camera. After I updated to 18.1 last night, that fix didn't work, but a reboot did.

16. Brentt

Expand Collapse

Same thing here. When first getting in car, Camera goes black on reverse, but if I put it in drive, then back in reverse it comes on.

17. verygooddog

Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    I've had Blanche for 12 days and 420 miles. The backup camera goes black randomly, maybe 10 times in total. Occasionally when I put her into reverse the camera comes on then blacks out after I've backed up a little bit. Sometimes it happens immediately when I go into reverse. It almost always happens when I'm backing out of the garage, so it's happening in the first few minutes of driving. Usually if I put her in park and then reverse again, the camera will come on.

As far as autopilot goes, after 420 miles, it's still not activated, nor is cruise control. Is this normal? About 30% of the mileage has been on divided highways. Should I contact TESLA, or just keep waiting. 2018.14.13

18. SoFlaModel3

Team Midnight Silver
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    Do you see the gray steering wheel icon by the speedometer?

19. verygooddog

Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    Nope, not there. I assumed it would not appear until the calibration was complete.

20. SoFlaModel3

Team Midnight Silver
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    Hmm yeah you should definitely call. Most likely your car accidentally did not come with autopilot. Was it listed on your window sticker and did you end up paying for it for sure?