1. Tesla Model 3 apparel now available!

Dismiss Notice

Tesla Autopilot crash in Montana: Drivers reveals new details and claims a ‘cover up’ by Tesla

Discussion in 'News from Electrek.co' started by garsh, Jul 23, 2016.

More threads by garsh
  1. garsh

Dis Member
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Pittsburgh PA
    Country
    #1 garsh, Jul 23, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2016
    http://electrek.co/2016/07/22/tesla-autopilot-model-x-crash-montana-coverup/

The driver, known as Mr. Pang, insists that he did not receive any alert from the vehicle prior to the accident and that it veered on its own into the barrier.

He claims that it not only veered on its own, but that it didn’t slow down after hitting the first post and that it hit 12 more barrier posts before he managed to stop the car manually.

This has convinced me to install a 2-channel dashcam into any vehicle before I start using Autopilot. I'm not saying that I fully believe Mr. Pang and that I believe Telsa is covering this up. But if there is an accident, and Tesla is able to produce vehicle logs, I want to be able to produce evidence that is under my control. A dashcam setup with a second camera on the driver should solve that problem.

2. TrevP

M3OC Founder / Administrator
    Founder
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Aurora,Ontario
    Country
    I have a BlackVue 650 dual channel in my current car. It's great and I'm going to move it to our Model 3 when the time comes.

3. garsh

Dis Member
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Pittsburgh PA
    Country
    I've been waiting for a deal on one of those. It's the only one I can find that lets you download videos wirelessly.

4. Badbot

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Apple valley, ca
    garsh Tesla is not prosecuting you.

5. garsh

Dis Member
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Pittsburgh PA
    Country
    I love that Tesla has all of the vehicle logging available. People can't get away with simply lying about their liability anymore. But Mr. Pang's letter gives me pause. Unlike the other people who were "proved" to have lied by the data, I find his arguments to appear genuine. It may be that he's simply a better class of liar. But what if he's telling the truth? What if the logging simply doesn't include enough information to show that the car was just a bit off and started mowing down guardrails?

It's just for piece-of-mind. I'd like some data logging of my own. And it's not just to protect against autopilot mistakes, but for all sorts of scenarios.

6. TrevP

M3OC Founder / Administrator
    Founder
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Aurora,Ontario
    Country
    I was lucky to find someone who had bought one and decided against it. Paid $300 for it. Check local Listings or Craigslist, you never know

7. Topher

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Maine
    He shouldn't have been using (to say nothing of relying on) auto-pilot on that road. He should have had his hands on the wheel. He should have slammed on the brakes when the car hit the first post. He did none of these things *by his own testimony*.

"it didn’t slow down after hitting the first post"

1) This is physically impossible.
    2) Why was he checking the speed rather than slamming on the brakes?
    3) For someone who was cited by the police for being inattentive, he seems to know a lot about what happened in the split seconds of a crash.

"Tesla were trying to cover up the lack of dependability of the autopilot system,"

Nonsense. There is nothing for Tesla to even cover up. Exactly what piece of information is being withheld or suppressed by Tesla?

He was using a lawn mower as a hedge trimmer, and now wants someone to blame.

Exactly which statement (if true) would be concerning to you Garsh?

Thank you kindly.

• Like Like x 1
  8. MelindaV

☰ > 3
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Vancouver, WA
    Country
    I was going to reply here what I'd found out after looking into BlackVue, but then figured it made more sense to post a new thread on BlackVue :) at this time, it's the only 'mod' I have planned for my Model ☰ and looking forward to it! (plus likely window film)

@Topher - IMO, his account of the wreck reads as if written by a lawyer that was no were near the wreck...

• Agree Agree x 2