Tesla calling after accidents?

KarenRei

Top-Contributor
Country
Country

This is the second case I've heard of recently of someone getting a call from Tesla after they were in an accident, checking to see if they're okay. Is this an official service? New? I didn't think they used to do this, although maybe I'm remembering wrong or just missed it. He also - later - got a call from Tesla engineering, wanting to know, "What can we do to make this car safer? Is there anything that you noticed in the accident that we could improve?"

If someone like me could be unaware that Tesla makes safety calls, then the general public surely is. That's a huge feature (one of the main reasons people get OnStar), and they really should do more to make people aware of it.

Also like the fact that despite that he was rear-ended, supposedly at 50mph, not only was he uninjured, but even the things he had in the trunk weren't harmed. That's some bloody impressive engineering.

Last edited:

Dr. J

Private
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
The rear bumper absorbed a lot of impact. I guess he's being hyperbolic by saying Red Dragon is "dead?" Any updates?

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
They have done this all along. Remember the man claiming in a lawsuit that his car on autopilot ran off a rural road and sideswiped a wood fence, around the same time as Josh Brown’s wreck? That story involved tesla attempting to reach the driver multiple times.

GDN

M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I'm surprised they don't advertise this much. They don't disclose the criteria for the car to alert and for Tesla to call and check it seems either. OnStar never really did either I guess other than to say "If you are in an accident". I like the feature, especially since Tesla knows exactly where the car is, but just surprised they don't talk about it much and only a few reports of it happening.

Ken Voss

M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Given all the bad press Tesla gets I am sure this is to avoid litigation. There must be ambiance chaser lawyers who contact Tesla accident victims and try to build a case. Tesla, contacting the owner immediately after the accident, is able to mitigate this.

This is a good business practice for Tesla!

Dr. J

Private
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Given all the bad press Tesla gets I am sure this is to avoid litigation. There must be ambiance chaser lawyers who contact Tesla accident victims and try to build a case. Tesla, contacting the owner immediately after the accident, is able to mitigate this.

This is a good business practice for Tesla!
And there is the creepiness factor. And the legacy of OnStar commercials where every user was a complete freakin' idiot ("I threw my keys off a cliff and can't get home!').