TrevP

M3OC Founder / Administrator
Founder
Tesla Owner
Model X
Country
Country
http://electrek.co/2016/04/26/tesla-model-3-battery-pack-cost-kwh/

Keep in mind Tesla has better aerodynamics than everyone else so there's less need to a larger battery. Let's keep an open mind about this news, it's not like the battery will be 30kWh. More like 55 most likely. Remember, the 60kWh Model S achieved the same range and it's a bigger heavier vehicle.

Developing...

Last edited:

TrevP

M3OC Founder / Administrator
Founder
Tesla Owner
Model X
Country
Country
As Elon said, the base model will do 215 EPA miles (320Kms) on the base battery. Looks like the cost reductions from the Gigafactory is going to pay off handsomely but I suspect Tesla new this was going to happen all along. You don't build a massive factory and hope the costs some down. They've done the modelling and engineering before any of this stuff was decided upon.

EBelly

I hope the model 3 has a battery pack similar to the new S 60. A 75 KWH throttled down to 60 KWH. (Not those numbers but similar values for the smaller car). I watched TrevP's 3rd podcast and it was stated that you could charge the 60 KWH to 100% without harming the battery, because of the hidden capacity, where the 75 KWH should only be charged to 80%. This gives both batteries the same usable range except in those cases where you need to change the 75 KWH to 100% to use on trips. That would be much better than having a 215 mile range battery that you could only get a usable 172 miles out of for normal driving.