Tesla fixed my stupid mistake for free

• If you haven't taken delivery yet or plan on ordering you can still get the 6 months of FREE Supercharging only until December 17th all Model 3s now qualify! Call or email your Tesla delivery advisor and give them our code
  • Winter is here and the forum is starting to get flooded with cold weather threads and posts. Please heed the suggested threads and posts before you post something related to cold weather. This is a great place to start: https://model3ownersclub.com/threads/teslas-in-cold-weather.5271
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
So, you know how it goes. You get a new car, you're not used to it, and you're trying to back it into a tight garage. You have to get so close to the wall that the proximity sensors go crazy, and even tell you to stop, despite seeing in the mirror what looks like enough space between your car and the wall.

Then you hear a different sort of noise, one that makes your heart race. "Bump," it says. You put it drive and pull forward to see what, exactly, went "bump," and to your dismay, you realize you've scuffed your car against the drywall. The body panel at the rear of the wheel arch is scuffed, and there's even some house paint marring the pristine finish.

That's where I found myself on Wednesday evening. For reference, I had taken delivery of the car the previous day. But! I had an appointment the next day for the Tesla detailers to buff out some scratches I noticed on the rear of the car. And maybe the detailer would be able to help me out.

He asked me to show him where the scratches were, and that provided the perfect opportunity. I showed him the wall scar and asked him if he had any advice on how I could remove it. He started running down what he would do, then paused and said, "You know, I'm going to be working on this part of the car anyway. Do you want me to just fix it for you?"

Why yes. Yes, I would. It looks good as new now. And the best part is my wife never needs to know. ;)

I'm glad Tesla employs nice, hardworking people. I also believe the damage would have been worse had I been driving an ICE car. Not only would the movement of the car be less precisely controlled, but the idling engine might have covered up the sound of the car hitting the wall until much more damage had been done.

Lesson learned: leave more space!

@gravityrydr

Country
Country
So, you know how it goes. You get a new car, you're not used to it, and you're trying to back it into a tight garage. You have to get so close to the wall that the proximity sensors go crazy, and even tell you to stop, despite seeing in the mirror what looks like enough space between your car and the wall.
......Lesson learned: leave more space!
Exactly my situation. The car starts complaining loudly when I back into my garage. The huge display for the rear camera and proximity sensors make it relatively easy. The ability to move slowly and precisely is fantastic. Is there another car on the market that gives you distances to the inch how close objects are? I marked out in tape on the floor of the garage what my entry track and stopping point should be.

Country
Country
I was heading out of town for a weekend at a BnB with the spouse and I thought I should wash the car Friday afternoon.

This was only a week or two after getting the auto-wiper feature via 'rain sensor'. I went to a car wash I like that is gentle on the X. Guess what I forgot to turn off before I entered the car wash?!?! My wiper blades started up when the water sprayed and it took me a too many seconds to realize what happened. My drivers side wiper blade got caught on the 'curtain' that swishes back and forth (no rolling brush). It didn't tear it all the way but close enough.

I drove to the Tesla service center because I was leaving on the trip very soon. Luckily I didn't break anything but the wiper. They understood my scenario (new auto-wiper feature and such) and had mercy on me. No charge. Heck, I was perfectly willing to pay. Wow did I feel foolish because I'm usually quite careful about these things.

TMK26

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I was heading out of town for a weekend at a BnB with the spouse and I thought I should wash the car Friday afternoon.

This was only a week or two after getting the auto-wiper feature via 'rain sensor'. I went to a car wash I like that is gentle on the X. Guess what I forgot to turn off before I entered the car wash?!?! My wiper blades started up when the water sprayed and it took me a too many seconds to realize what happened. My drivers side wiper blade got caught on the 'curtain' that swishes back and forth (no rolling brush). It didn't tear it all the way but close enough.

I drove to the Tesla service center because I was leaving on the trip very soon. Luckily I didn't break anything but the wiper. They understood my scenario (new auto-wiper feature and such) and had mercy on me. No charge. Heck, I was perfectly willing to pay. Wow did I feel foolish because I'm usually quite careful about these things.
The auto-wipers don't disengage when the car is in neutral?

BigBri

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
They gave me a free rim when I curbed my wheel. Pretty good dudes!

I've got the same garage issue but it's even worse. I don't have a paved driveway yet, that goes in this September so the car usually has a hissy fit as I've got a few inches to jump to get into the garage.

Country
Country
The auto-wipers don't disengage when the car is in neutral?
They did not at that point in time. Not sure if that functionality has changed. Perhaps there are other use case scenarios where it would be appropriate that you wipers worked in neutral. Can't think of any off the top of my head tho.

Bibs

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
We used blue painter's tape to mark the path into the garage and the old "ball hanging from a string" trick for the stopping point. Worry-free backup into our mailbox-sized garage.

Country
Country
We used blue painter's tape to mark the path into the garage and the old "ball hanging from a string" trick for the stopping point. Worry-free backup into our mailbox-sized garage.
Very highly recommend this Garage Laser Park device. Easy to install if you just plug it into your garage opener light (using adapter below). Great for parking our X precisely. You just drive in slowly until the laser light is somewhere you have adjusted it to be on your dash.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B000F6F99G/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1