Tesla fixed my stupid mistake for free

Discussion in 'Tesla Experiences' started by Ryan Ballantyne, Jul 13, 2018 at 1:08 PM.

1. Ryan Ballantyne

Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    So, you know how it goes. You get a new car, you're not used to it, and you're trying to back it into a tight garage. You have to get so close to the wall that the proximity sensors go crazy, and even tell you to stop, despite seeing in the mirror what looks like enough space between your car and the wall.

Then you hear a different sort of noise, one that makes your heart race. "Bump," it says. You put it drive and pull forward to see what, exactly, went "bump," and to your dismay, you realize you've scuffed your car against the drywall. The body panel at the rear of the wheel arch is scuffed, and there's even some house paint marring the pristine finish.

That's where I found myself on Wednesday evening. For reference, I had taken delivery of the car the previous day. But! I had an appointment the next day for the Tesla detailers to buff out some scratches I noticed on the rear of the car. And maybe the detailer would be able to help me out.

He asked me to show him where the scratches were, and that provided the perfect opportunity. I showed him the wall scar and asked him if he had any advice on how I could remove it. He started running down what he would do, then paused and said, "You know, I'm going to be working on this part of the car anyway. Do you want me to just fix it for you?"

Why yes. Yes, I would. It looks good as new now. And the best part is my wife never needs to know. ;)

I'm glad Tesla employs nice, hardworking people. I also believe the damage would have been worse had I been driving an ICE car. Not only would the movement of the car be less precisely controlled, but the idling engine might have covered up the sound of the car hitting the wall until much more damage had been done.

Lesson learned: leave more space!

• Love it! Love it! x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  2. @gravityrydr

Expand Collapse

Country
    Exactly my situation. The car starts complaining loudly when I back into my garage. The huge display for the rear camera and proximity sensors make it relatively easy. The ability to move slowly and precisely is fantastic. Is there another car on the market that gives you distances to the inch how close objects are? I marked out in tape on the floor of the garage what my entry track and stopping point should be.