1. Tesla Model 3 apparel now available!

Dismiss Notice

Tesla has a new Autopilot ‘2.5’ hardware suite with more computing power for autonomous driving

Discussion in 'News from Electrek.co' started by garsh, Aug 10, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
More threads by garsh
  1. garsh

Dis Member
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Pittsburgh PA
    Country
    Tesla has a new Autopilot ‘2.5’ hardware suite with more computing power for autonomous driving

@TrevP, not sure why the bot isn't picking up this story - it was posted 6 hours ago.

But now several sources told Electrek that it is not the only change that coincided with the start of Model 3 production. We are told that a new onboard computer updated to include a secondary GPU for more computing power was also added. The new Autopilot hardware suite is internally called “HW 2.5”.

In a statement to Electrek, a spokesperson confirmed the existence of the new hardware suite, but they downplayed its importance:

“The internal name HW 2.5 is an overstatement, and instead it should be called something more like HW 2.1. This hardware set has some added computing and wiring redundancy, which very slightly improves reliability, but it does not have an additional Pascal GPU.”

The spokesperson also said that all Model S, Model X, and Model 3 vehicles being ordered today come with the new hardware.

https://electrek.co/2017/08/09/tesla-autopilot-2-5-hardware-computer-autonomous-driving/

2. TrevP

M3OC Founder / Administrator
    Staff Member Founder
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Aurora,Ontario
    Tesla Owner:
    Reservation
    Country
    I turned off the Electrek feeds. That's why we're not seeing them. We can discuss stuff without the feeds anymore I think

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • JWardell

Top-Contributor
      Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
      Boston
      Country
      There are no technical details, except for no additional GPU. My guess is they added a small cheap watchdog MCU or maybe a processor like that in a webcam that can handle the one additional inside camera feed.

When I used to make make vehicle controllers, redundancy requirements simply meant that a second processor only needed to determine that the main processor was not responding and shut things down/go into safety state and was therefore small and cheap. Usually only military stuff needs full dual redundancy.

• Informative Informative x 2
      • Useful Useful x 1
      • John

Tech CEO
        Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
        California
        Country
        • Like Like x 3
        • Love it! Love it! x 1
        • garsh

Dis Member
          Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
          Pittsburgh PA
          Country
          TLDR: Many Model 3 design decisions are to support ride sharing via the Tesla Network (and the autonomous driving that would be required).

We pretty much expected the 3 to support this, but it goes into detail about how the S and X won't be able to support this usage - the 3 will be the only car to have this option. It makes sense, but I had never thought about the implications for S & X before.

I'll probably never trust strangers enough to add my car to the ride-sharing fleet, but it sure would be nice to send my car out to "fetch" the grandparents and bring them back to my house for a visit.
          :)

• Like Like x 1
          • Agree Agree x 1
          • KennethK

Top-Contributor
            Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
            Michigan
            Country
            The hardware for the inside camera may also be for detecting "distracted drivers".

• Like Like x 1
            Thread Status:
            Not open for further replies.