1. Tesla Model 3 apparel now available!

Dismiss Notice

Tesla is a different kind of car company. For better or worse...

Discussion in 'Tesla Discussions' started by Brokedoc, Aug 3, 2017.

More threads by Brokedoc
  1. Brokedoc

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    New York
    Country
    We have a small family here at M3OC compared to some of the other Tesla user groups. A few of our members are already blessed to own a Tesla but I get the feeling from the posts that most members are getting the M3 as their first Tesla.

I wanted to point out that your experience with your first Tesla will be very much like being a newlywed. It starts really nice and we're really happy until we discover little, annoying things but learn to live with them because we're REALLY impressed with the whole package. Tesla owners are the most likely to buy another car of the same brand/model than any other car manufacturer. Over 90%. The next closest car is the Corvette.

Tesla is truly a different kind of car company. They don't think like an old fashioned car company. Their cars don't look like regular cars, don't drive like regular cars, and aren't manufactured like regular cars. We are seeing different things like the gorgeous panoramic glass and think "why didn't cars ALWAYS have THAT?" Why don't ALL cars have apps where you can remotely unlock the car or turn on the climate control or check to see if the trunk is locked? There will be a fleet of service technicians that will come to you and fix 80% of any problems that you may have with your car instead of taking it to their shop to get it fixed.

If you find a software bug, you can click on the voice command button and say "Bug Report...There's a glitch when I try to stream Bloomberg Radio" and it supposedly sends the report back to the powers that be (who have yet to fix my glitch).

I point this out because MANY people will be buying their M3 and stretching their budgets and expecting their cars to be perfected by the genius that is Elon Musk. WITHOUT A DOUBT, the M3 will be amazing and a pleasure to own. Perfect, it will not be.

The most irritating thing that Tesla does is that their cars always seem to be in some version of Beta Test mode. The good thing is that they are constantly adding newer features but they don't seem to always be perfect and may need several revisions. IF what I'm saying bothers you then Tesla's philosophy as a car company may not be right for you. Old fashioned car companies evaluate every new feature for years and try to get all the bugs out before releasing that feature in a new model year with no future hope of ever upgrading it or fixing quirks. That's doesn't seem very progressive to me.

Yes, a $60k car may be stretching peoples' budgets and you may expect perfection but based on the MS and the MX releases, flaws will occur, even in those $100k+ cars. Just so that you know, when I picked up my MX, the guy showing me the features had to do a soft reboot. I've also had to do that myself in the past 2 months when my center screen locked up.

I apologize if you read this in my post on another thread but aside from my inability to stream Bloomberg Radio, a few quirks that I'm waiting to be fixed in a future update:
    • being able to select alternate routes in the navigation system (c'mon! The nav system is based on Google Maps and my Android phone version allows me to choose alternate routes!)
    • enabling the rain sensing wipers in the MX (that currently work in the MS)
    • creating a quick, easy button to put the car in mode for automatic car wash (currently it requires several steps to put the car in neutral "tow mode" with several button presses and more button presses to put the screen in cleaning mode so the car wash guys don't mess up any settings)
    And by the way, did you realize that the M3 doesn't have AM radio? My MX doesn't have AM either. Only the MS has AM. Something about the electrical interference....Tesla says you can stream AM stations instead but I'm still waiting for them to fix my Bloomberg bug....

So keep in mind that Tesla is a very new car company with a completely different way of doing things. Teslas are more comfortable for those that like tapping screens instead of pushing buttons. If you get giddy waiting to get the new features in your next smartphone update, Tesla is your kind of car company. If you still have a flip phone, you may want to consider cancelling your reservation. For me, I love my Tesla more than any car I've ever had and I can't wait to be a newlywed to a Model 3.

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • Akilae

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
      Vienna
      Country
      Hello,

Thank you for your report. I for my part am not expecting perfection. I rather see Tesla like a software company than a typical car manufacturer. I expect to have some bugs in the beginning and that there will be bugs coming up with new features. The point why I like Tesla is their behavior regarding their current fleet the customer has already bought. My ownership experience with my Opel Astra is actually like yours with the Tesla. The connection to my iPhone via bluetooth does not always work, sometimes it disconnects and you have to restart the bluetooth module in the car some things where ratteling in the beginning, water in the taillights etc etc.

But where mechanics took care of my mechanical problems (which of course can happen). Nobody and I mean really nobody cares about the bluetooth issue. I have been at 3 dealerships and of course can't reach Opel directly. And also I haven't got a single software update since I've taken ownership of the car 5 years ago. I think this experience will definatly be different with Tesla even if it takes some time for them to fix things. But at least you have a chance with them.

• Like Like x 2
      • Gary Moore

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
        Mountain House, CA
        Country
        We won't be in the news as if we were the first people on Mars. We will be driving the first Model 3's and experiencing what that means.

Tesla is now making history. Eventually, every form of organization must be redesigned, because knowledge and what is possible transforms. Developing roots works well for trees, but we do not live in the magic forest where old trees go out taking strolls.

Taking the first steps into the future means first facing new hurdles and missteps. However, not taking the first steps into the future means extinction.

• Agree Agree x 2
        • SoFlaModel3

Impatiently Waiting
          Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
          South Florida
          Country
          #4 SoFlaModel3, Aug 3, 2017
          Last edited: Aug 3, 2017
          Love the post!

I'm all in on being an early adopter.

I work in software development, so I appreciate the lifecycle and love the fact that the car we buy today is not the car we end up with when it's time to part ways. So cool! Why wasn't it always like that?

I will call blasphemy in your post though... the setting for automatic car wash should be very hard to find because you shouldn't go through an automatic car wash ;)

Bring on the fun (and quirks)!!

Side note on my dad's Model S the driver side mirror sometimes doesn't fold in on its own and sometimes doesn't unfold on its own. My dad still has the Tesla grin 8 months later though. This car has made me see what my dad must have been like as a kid and that's priceless!

• Like Like x 2
          • Agree Agree x 2
          • JWardell

Top-Contributor
            Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
            Boston
            Country
            Your opening statement is a big part of why I'm an active member here at M3OC and not in other Tesla forums. The others are filled with people with a...different perspective on life, who can afford $100,000 cars, who expect things to be a certain way, and will react differently than those who by $35,000 cars.

As for the Beta Test mode comments, this is a huge reason why I want one. I am always an early adopter, I want to always be on the cutting edge, bugs be damned! I'm usually running beta versions of anything I can get my hands on. I love being part of new ideas and features, as well as the chance for feedback and bug reports to mold them and their improvements. It's not for everyone.

• Like Like x 4