1. Tesla Model 3 apparel now available!

Dismiss Notice

Tesla logs show that Model X driver hit the accelerator, Autopilot didn’t crash into...

Discussion in 'News from Electrek.co' started by RSSFeed, Jun 6, 2016.

More threads by RSSFeed
  1. RSSFeed

M3OC RSS Bot
    Expand Collapse

[​IMG]

Earlier this morning we reported on a strange Model X accident that ended with the SUV crashing into a building in Irvine, California. Fortunately, no one was severely injured in the accident, but the Model X owner claims that the vehicle accelerated on its own while entering a parking space and the driver was unable to decelerate before it ‘autonomously’ crashed into the building.

We contacted Tesla and the company reviewed the logs around the time of the accident. A representative is now assuring us that the Autopilot was not at fault and that the vehicle operated in a way consistent with the driver’s actions. more…

Filed under: Cars, Model X, Tesla Tagged: autonomous tesla, Model X, model x crash, Tesla Autopilot, tesla crash, Tesla Model X, tesla model x crash [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG]

Continue reading...

2. Topher

Energy Curmudgeon
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Maine
    Country
    "I am waiting to hear from Tesla whether the accelerator pedal can be depressed by the car electronically similar to gas-powered cars’ pedal being depressed on their own while in cruise control.”

Why would that be of interest? We know the car can accelerate on its own (while in cruise control). If his wife was braking, should couldn't know whether the gas pedal was being depressed or not. Are their skids marks?

Thank you kindly.

3. TE3LA

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Iowa
    Country
    "She knows the difference between brake and accelerator pedal."

I imagine so do the other 16,000 people (per year) that get into preventable crashes due to pedal error:

But each year, approximately 16,000 preventable crashes occur due to pedal error when drivers mistake the accelerator for the brake. Pedal error crashes can present serious safety risks to the vehicle occupants, surrounding motorists, pedestrians, and property.

http://www.nhtsa.gov/About+NHTSA/Press+Releases/2015/nhtsa-pedal-error-safety-advisory

4. TE3LA

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Iowa
    Country
    Reading further in the NHTSA article it also says:

"These incidents are initiated most frequently in vehicles that are traveling at very low speeds, such as when attempting to park the vehicle in parking lots and driveways."

• Like Like x 1
    • Stephane Lamarche

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
      Tennessee
      People really need to start taking responsibilities for their actions instead of blaming everyone around them. That being said, since those vehicle are the first with all this advanced tech. new owners should have to get some kind of advanced training before they leave the store. The walk around and basic explanation of the options is clearly not enough to explain all the technology in these vehicle and the risks.

• Topher

Energy Curmudgeon
      Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
      Maine
      Country
      You mean the accelerator pedal? This isn't a situation where the customer was using some new tech incorrectly (as it may have been in other examples). Either the customer hit the accelerator pedal instead of the brake, or the car lurched forward on its own. Neither will be fixed by more training.

Thank you kindly.

• Stephane Lamarche

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
      Tennessee
      Yes, totally agree. This latest example may not have been prevented by more training even though the individual was clearly trying to blame it on AUTOPILOT. If he understood autopilot better and understood that Tesla would backfire on him by ready the logs maybe he wouldn't have tried to blame it on autopilot or one of the other functionalities in the car.

Better training wouldn't eliminate all cases, but I'm sure it would help in a lot of those cases. That's all I was trying to say.

• Badback

Valued Community Member
      Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
      Prior Lake, MN
      Country
      Will Tesla be ratting their customer out to the authorities? Tesla already has it's money from the sale of the car and I don't think that they want to sell them another one. Can they be black listed in some way? I just think that there should be some kind of consequences for this kind of behavior. I think that if you make a mistake, just say so and not try to stick someone else with your problem.

Just saying!

• Agree Agree x 1
      • JWardell

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
        Boston
        Country
        I find it interesting that the owners are trying to pin blame on the pedal being moved by the car due to cruise control.
        Pedals moving by cruise control only exist on older systems where the gas pedal was physically connected to the throttle valve in the engine bay, which was then actuated by the cruse control.
        Most cars over the last 10-15 years have electronic gas pedals and throttle valves without a physical connection (drive-by-wire) and the pedal itself does not move due to the cruise control system. Obviously, there is no physical throttle valve in an an EV.

I should also note that these electronic gas pedals have at least two redundant sensors in them, reading in opposite values. That way the computer can detect a failure or high or low voltage in either of them and disable the control. In other worse, the pedal was definitely mashed to the floor!

Most of these electronics pedals come up from the floor instead of down from the dash. Pedals coming down from the dash were the ones that would get caught under the floor mat under some of the Toyota acceleration events. And those were all mechanical.

The only question I have is if the collision avoidance system could have detected and avoided the collision itself.

• Stephane Lamarche

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
        Tennessee
        I also wondered about that...