1. Tesla Model 3 apparel now available!

Dismiss Notice

Tesla Model X’s stunning panoramic windshield cost ~$2300 to replace

Discussion in 'News from Electrek.co' started by RSSFeed, Jun 3, 2016.

More threads by RSSFeed
  1. RSSFeed

M3OC RSS Bot
    Expand Collapse

[​IMG]

Tesla Model X’s panoramic windshield was one of the biggest ‘surpise feature’ unveiled at the production launch in September last year. In previously unveiled prototypes, the Model X was featuring a normal windshield, but the production version is equipped with a panoramic windshield extending all the way above the driver and front passenger seats.

The feature, combined with the structure of the Falcon Wing doors, makes the Model X’s passenger compartment truly unique, but some are worried about the replacement cost since the windshield is one of the most at risk part of any vehicle – and rightfully so it seems… more…

Filed under: Cars Tagged: Model X, model x panoramic windshield, Model X windshield, replacement cost, Tesla, Tesla Model X, windshield replacement cost [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG]

Continue reading...

2. Englander

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    United Kingdom
    That's a concern, looking at the huge piece of glass that is the Model ☰ roof...

3. Adey

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Sunderland, England
    Apparently there's going to be metal, glass and opening sun roof options

If you go for metal roof I reckon you'll be ok with the large glass

I work for an insurance company and most claims for any glass on a car is the windscreen. However it would probably exclude these large panaromic roofs (depending on company)

4. Curtish8892

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Toronto, Canada
    I had a Infiniti Ex 35 several years ago and the windshield cost $600 and that was not the one with all the sensors for the 360 degree view. That on cost $1200.

I also had a Subaru STI back in 2004 and the Brembo brake job was $5000.

If you want nice things you are going have to pay for it.

These media stories are really annoying, if you purchase any car that is in the same price range as the Model S, X or 3 you will have to pay big bucks for the extras and repairs.

Brake jobs on high end sport cars can go up to $25,000.

(Save up your loonies for the future repair cost)

5. minogully

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Ontario, Canada
    Country
    While there's no doubt that $2300 is a lot of money, it's actually not that bad if you consider this against any ICE vehicle which has more but cheaper costs and repairs.

My Civic for example, it seems like every time I need to bring it to the mechanic's for repairs, it's at least $500 a visit. We've had to do this at least 5 or 6 times over the last few years. And these are all minor repairs (mainly to do with the suspension system). Imagine the cost if I would have had to replace the transmission or the engine. We've put in far more than $2300 on our cheap civic.

I think as far as repair costs go, you're still ahead with a Tesla, even with the $2300 replacement cost for a new glass roof. And besides, how often do people actually need to repair/replace a roof anyways?

6. MelindaV

☰ > 3
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Vancouver, WA
    Country
    I think the point more is a windshield crack than "needing" to replace a roof, it just happens the X is one and the same...
    In the time I've owned cars (which started in the late 80s) I've had one windshield replaced, and it was paid 100% by my insurance co.
    At least in my state, it is common for windshield replacement be covered by your insurance. possible it's a local regulation, not sure.