1. Tesla Model 3 apparel now available!

Dismiss Notice

Tesla pushes a new update to its ‘Summon’ feature following a recent Autopilot crash

Discussion in 'News from Electrek.co' started by RSSFeed, May 17, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
More threads by RSSFeed
  1. RSSFeed

M3OC RSS Bot
    Expand Collapse

[​IMG]

The story of a Tesla Model S crashing into the back of a trailer while the ‘summon’ feature of the Autopilot was activated has been making the headlines since last week. Tesla placed the blame with the driver, but now the automaker pushes an update to its fleet to add a step to the Summon feature that could potentially have prevented the accident. more…

Filed under: Cars, Tesla Tagged: Autopilot, crash, summon, Tesla, Tesla Autopilot, tesla autopilot accident, tesla summon, update [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG]

Continue reading...

2. garsh

Dis Member
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Pittsburgh PA
    Country
    Glad to see this update. I'm a little miffed at Tesla for taking such a hostile position with respect to a customer. I think they're probably correct about the guy lying about the circumstances, but it does make me a bit wary about dealing with them should anything go wrong with the automation capabilities of the car.

I think the more damning case was the lady who didn't believe that autopilot was going to brake in time to avoid a crash:
    http://www.autoblog.com/2016/05/16/second-tesla-model-s-driver-blames-autopilot-failure-for-crash/
    She decided to hit the brakes herself, but it was too late. Tesla says that her act of hitting the brakes "disengaged Autopilot's emergency-braking system". That is simply insane. That's the one case where an emergency braking system should work, regardless of the driver's actions. Tesla should be taking full responsibility for that accident.

3. derotam

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Virginia
    I am thinking there is more to the second crash story than what has been reported. The info that we don't have is the time between when she disengaged the autopilot to when the crash occurred. Maybe she tapped the brake pedal enough to disengage the autopilot but not enough that she perceived it, and she catch the car letting her know that autopilot had been engaged??? she even said that she saw the vehicle in front "came to a halt". I would think a reasonable sane individual, even with autopilot would normally have reacted by at least positioning their foot over the brake pedal. I am sure not much pressure has to be placed on the brake pedal for autopilot to disengage. even in my ICE car I can disengage cruise control with an inperceivable amount of pressure.

4. garsh

Dis Member
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Pittsburgh PA
    Country
    And my argument is that emergency braking should always be available, regardless of driver actions. Otherwise, it's not really working in an emergency situation where the driver isn't braking in time. It's a design flaw, and I hope Tesla changes it to be much harder (and more deliberate) to turn off.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Topher

Energy Curmudgeon
      Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
      Maine
      Country
      Not clear at all. I can easily imagine emergency situations where braking would get me killed, what I really want to be doing is accelerating and avoiding the problem. Having the car brake with no way to override it is a bad idea.

This conflicts with what I read they said. Do you have a verified quote?

Thank you kindly.

• garsh

Dis Member
      Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
      Pittsburgh PA
      Country
    • Dan Detweiler

Top-Contributor
      Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
      Canton, Georgia
      Country
      One owner's attempt to explain the crash.

Dan

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Topher

Energy Curmudgeon
        Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
        Maine
        Country
        Apparently I have confused myself:
        I think Tesla said that Simpson was not in Autopilot mode, having stepped on the brakes sometime previously. Whether that was 1 second before, or 1 minute isn't clear.
        When Simpson decided to brake manually, that would override the automatic emergency braking (NOTE: NOT the autopilot). Which would happen much later than autopilot braking.

So, your quote is right, but doesn't address the question of autopilot mode. Sorry for any confusion. I still think that this is correct behavior. But the question of alerting on autopilot mode deactivation needs to be addressed.

Thank you kindly.

• garsh

Dis Member
        Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
        Pittsburgh PA
        Country
        Volvo has emergency braking that is activated whenever the driver quickly pushes the brake pedal hard. In that situation, it will produce full-braking effect, even if the driver is not pushing the brake pedal hard enough themselves. It's a simple system that doesn't require outside sensors.

Nissan's system uses a camera to detect an impending collision and activate whether or not the brake pedal is pushed.

I still think that Tesla having their system deactivate when the brake pedal is pushed is a design mistake.

References:
        Volvo Emergency Brake Assist
        Nissan Forward Emergency Braking

• TeslaPod

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
        Bethpage, NY
        Completely agree Garsh, deactivating emergency braking when you depress the brake pedal is counter intuitive to how we have been trained to drive our entire lives. The movement to stomp on the brake pedal is reflexural, and a camera based system which is already factory installed by Tesla, should over ride the driver, ensuring safety, and preventing another wave of unwanted publicity.

• Topher

Energy Curmudgeon
        Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
        Maine
        Country
        How could that possibly be? You have never driven with car initiated braking before, why would you have any training with it. The reflex is to brake hard when you think you are going to hit something, and have no way to avoid it. The system here does nothing to counter that. In fact, there shouldn't even be any way to tell. However, if you decide that you DO want to avoid it, having the car brake instead is going to cause you to be in more danger than either just braking, or just avoiding. A ship can't have two captains in an emergency.

Thank you kindly.

• MelindaV

☰ > 3
        Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
        Vancouver, WA
        Country
        the Tesla software does react like @Topher described. That if a hazard is identified, and the driver has already stepped on the brake, it will leave the braking to the driver. If the driver fails to step on the brake, the computer would instead.
        here's the section from the Model X manual:
        Automatic Emergency Braking
        The forward looking camera and the radar sensor are designed to determine the distance from any object (vehicle, motorcycle, bicycle, or pedestrian) traveling in front of Model X. When a frontal collision is considered unavoidable, Automatic Emergency Braking is designed to automatically apply the brakes to reduce the severity of the impact.
        When Automatic Emergency Braking applies the brakes, the instrument panel displays a visual warning and you'll hear a chime. You may also notice abrupt downward movement of the brake pedal. The brake lights turn on to alert other road users that you are slowing down.
        When Automatic Emergency Braking has reduced the driving speed by 25 mph (40 km/h), the brakes are released. For example, if Automatic Emergency Braking applies braking when driving at 56 mph (90 km/h), it releases the brakes when the speed has been reduced to 31 mph (50 km/h).
        Automatic Emergency Braking operates only when driving between 8 km/h and 140 km/h.
        Automatic Emergency Braking does not apply the brakes, or stops applying the brakes, in situations where you are taking action to avoid a potential collision. For example:

• You turn the steering wheel sharply.
        • You press the accelerator pedal.
        • You press and release the brake pedal.
        • A vehicle, motorcycle, bicycle, or pedestrian, is no longer detected ahead.
        Automatic Emergency Braking is always enabled when you start Model X. To disable it for your current drive, touch Controls > Settings > Driver Assistance > Automatic Emergency Braking > Disable.
        This is followed by another full column of warnings and disclaimers that the driver is still to be alert and in control of the car at all times.

• Informative Informative x 1
        • InElonWeTrust

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
          CA
          Country
          Does anyone know if you can use the summon feature to park backwards in your garage. For visibility of pulling out, I always park backwards in my garage and parking spots. I hope so.

• Jay in Richmond VA

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
          Richmond, VA United States
          Would love to know the answer to this question before deciding where to place the wall charger in my garage.

• Agree Agree x 2
          • KennethK

Top-Contributor
            Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
            Michigan
            Country
            I do know that summon can work in forward and reverse. But I would only be guessing if I said it can do it in the garage too for auto parking. YouTube might have your answer.

• KennethK

Top-Contributor
            Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
            Michigan
            Country
            Results of my YouTube search...

• Like Like x 1
            Thread Status:
            Not open for further replies.