1. We're hard at work on a software upgrade which will likely take place around the first weekend of October. We'll keep you posted and thanks for the support!

Tesla Time™ Stories

Discussion in 'Tesla Experiences' started by Maevra, Feb 17, 2018.

1. Maevra

Top-Contributor
    Expand Collapse

Country
    #1 Maevra, Feb 17, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2018
    So hubs and I had some errands to run around town today and saw not one, not two, but FIVE Model 3's in our two hours out and about. :hearteyes: ETA: Make that SEVEN. Just saw two more parked next to each other at a soccer game.

My favorite sighting was when we were driving around Palo Alto and pulled up right next to another silver Model 3. The occupants were an older gentleman and his lady friend and, as we both had our windows down, I waved and said to him "nice car!" He guffawed loudly as we went our separate ways. :D

There's a saying that the Model S is the Camry of Silicon Valley... welp, the Model 3 is definitely shaping up to be the Corolla of Silicon Valley now!

BTW mods, do we already have a mega thread where we can just add our experiences? There are so many small but cool "Tesla moments" I'd love to share but don't want to create a new separate thread for each one, so would be nice to have it if we don't already.

• Like Like x 8
  2. Michael Russo

MSM Team Founding Father, Red Dragon rider
    Moderator M3OC Supporting Member
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model S
    Country
    Maevra, you just did pave the way!! Edited thread name for this one to serve as such... and made it sticky as there starts to be so many of you now !! :cool:

Note to all: thread originally started under title ‘We’re gettin’ as common as Corollas. Sorta ;)
    (Trust Maevra will be pleased we did not lost that for posterity! :))

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
  3. SoFlaModel3

Team Midnight Silver
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    I don’t know how I feel about the Corolla of anything, but I get it ;)

So far the most aggresssive people following me to see the car were:

Model S P85
    Audi RS5

Kinda funny. I enjoy being the one being chased and filmed instead of the other way around :cool:

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Maevra

Top-Contributor
    Expand Collapse

Country
    Whoohoo! Thanks very much @Michael Russo! Love the new title!

• Like Like x 2
  5. Michael Russo

MSM Team Founding Father, Red Dragon rider
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model S
    Country
    You’re welcome... Good ideas always have a way to come to fruition, Maevra! And I look forward to the day that I can contribute to this thread with experiences of my own... :)

OK - that will be a while... don’t let that stop any of you current & future owners in the meantime! ;)

• Like Like x 1
  6. Lovesword

M3OC Supporting Member
    M3OC Supporting Member
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    #6 Lovesword, Feb 18, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2018
    Last night we went to dinner and I got a great parking spot on the street right next to the restaurant we were going to. They sat us by chance at a window where I could see my car. Now, this street has many restaurants and parking is at a premium (downtown area). Most of the people were just walking on by my car like normal, but one group of three gentlemen stopped, with one in particular about as happy as I was when I picked my car up! I watched them with a smile of my own as they took some pic, ogled the car and it seemed to make their night. EDIT: they were super respectful and were keeping a distance, just like I would do, not sure why but felt like I needed to edit and add that.

I decided to walk out and greet them (after using the app to honk at them for a laugh ;)). I got out there and asked them what they thought about it...they all seemed to really just be getting a kick out of only seeing the car.....so then asked if they wanted to sit inside. The really enthusiastic guys jaw dropped and he went to the passenger seat, “no, no, no....” I said and motioned to the drivers seat. He pretty much ran around the car to get in. He looked to be on cloud 9, and that in turn made me feel really good, it’s always so enjoyable for me to see others joy. His buddies snapped some photos and we talked briefly about the car...the guy said he’s for sure getting one now, so that’s cool! We shook hands and that was that, I didn’t even get their names! Lol. But it was a good experience! I smile writing about it :)

One more edit to add, GREAT IDEA @Maevra @Michael Russo!!

• Love it! Love it! x 16
    • Like Like x 8
  7. Vistan

Expand Collapse

Country
    Today, as I was parking at the Forum in Carlsbad, CA to go to the local Apple store, two nice ladies happened by and asked if they could look at my car. I, of course, told them "No, don't come any closer!" But, they got the grand mini-tour of the inside, frunk, and trunk, and loved it. Apparently, their husbands had told them about the new Tesla and now they were thrilled that they could go home and say "I've been there, and done that."

Vistan

• Like Like x 4
  8. M3MD

Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    Well I don't have my car yet, but I do have a Tesla jacket. Every time I wear it, I get asked questions about Tesla by random strangers in the grocery store, the dentist office, wherever I go.
    I should have thought about this when I wore it to the Bellevue, WA showroom last week to see their beautiful red Model 3. I had a crowd of people around me asking me questions because they all thought I worked there. Thanks to this forum, I'm pretty sure I was able to answer all the questions with as much knowledge as the actual employees and I think I even convinced 2 people to put down reservations.

(I did tell everyone I wasn't an employee, just a super fan.) ;)

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. KarenRei

Top-Contributor
    Expand Collapse

Country
    Could be fun for 1 april ;) "Well, what's interesting about the new batteries for the Model 3 - they're still lithium ion, but instead of using a petroleum-based electrolyte as in the Model S, the electrolyte is a mild cheese. Really! It was discovered that the fatty acids are unexpectedly good as a solute for lithium, given a very heavy dose of preservatives..."

;)

I've long been tempted to set up a booth in a heavily touristed part of downtown Reykjavík on 1 April with a big sign that says in Icelandic "EKKI TREYSTA ÞESSARI KONU", followed by an English "translation" of "TOURIST INFORMATION KIOSK". And then literally every response I'd give would be a lie. "Well, that church up there, that's Hallgrímskírkjan, which means 'The Church of Hallur the Cruel' - which admittedly isn't a very kind name, but it was given to him by his enemies, under the pagan chieftan Snorri the Ugly who previously occupied the Reykjavík area...."

There would of course be information pamphlets being given out. They'd be lies too. Tourist maps would as well be available. They'd be wrong. ;)

• Funny Funny x 7
  10. skygraff

Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    So, the rest of the year you stick with the "legitimate" maps to the stars homes in LA, right?

You can fool all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time, most of the people most of the time, and then there's the internet where a sucker logs on every nanosecond.

In the meantime, even without the car or the jacket or hanging out where Teslas roam, I've already had my share of unprompted informational and evangelical encounters. I hope I've convinced a few but also hope they didn't get so amped as to buy an S and reserve my.. er.. a 3 while I'm over here practicing my patient thumb twiddling.

11. SoFlaModel3

Team Midnight Silver
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    Last weekend at the supermarket, I parked in my usual (far away) spot and a Black Model S P85 spotted me parking. He literally flew around the corner to come check it out.

We spent a good 15 minutes chatting about the car. He said he literally just made his final payment on his car, but was torn by the 3. Very nice guy!

On a seemingly daily basis I have people videoing me on the highway, but that was my first experience with someone following me to check it out and chat.

• Like Like x 7
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
  12. TrevP

M3OC Founder / Administrator
    Founder M3OC Supporting Member
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model X
    Country
    I had 2 occurrences yesterday on our way back from the long weekend. Our X was parked in our friend's driveway for a couple of days and kept noticing the neighbour across the street would linger on his porch looking over at the car. When I was packing to leave he got in his work truck, came over, rolled down the window and said "nice car". I immediately responded with "thanks, it's fully electric". The look on the guy's face was one of disbelief. The fact that I hd the falcon wing door open I'm sure was the reason he got in his truck so fast to come over though ;)

The other occurrence was stopping in rain to get a get a coffee and bathroom break at night and some kids were getting out of the van in front of us and one of them exclaimed "it's a Tesla!". Kids get it ;)

• Like Like x 6
    • Love it! Love it! x 3
  13. Mad Hungarian

Resident M3OC Wheel/Tire Guru
    Expand Collapse

Country
    Maybe it's because I work in a company with 100 other gearheads, and live in a fairly urban area, but it seems amazing to me that anyone in North America with a active driver's license - at least within 100 kms of a major city - wouldn't recognize a Model S or X on sight by now. Or know that it was electric.
    Was he recently unfrozen from an Austin Powers style cryogenics experiment?

• Funny Funny x 7
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Ken Voss

M3OC Supporting Member
    M3OC Supporting Member
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    It was Rip Van Winkle!

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  15. Brokedoc

Kick-Gas Contributor
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model X
    Country
    I've had coworkers who I've showed my Tesla to and all the fancy tech and phone app and they're amazed.

Recently, I had a Blue Model X loaner (my regular X is black). They asked me if I got a new car and I told them that Tesla is so high tech, they have a color changing paint that I can control on the app. They absolutely think its true!

• Funny Funny x 11
    • Love it! Love it! x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  16. MelindaV

☰ > 3
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Reservation
    Country
    I hope these coworkers are not practicing doctorso_O

• Funny Funny x 2
  17. Brokedoc

Kick-Gas Contributor
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model X
    Country
    Lol. Most aren’t but there is a surprisingly high percentage of non-tech savvy docs, especially the older generation.

18. Brokedoc

Kick-Gas Contributor
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model X
    Country
    I had posted this earlier this month but it is especially appropriate for Tesla Time.

By far and away the MOST COMMON question Tesla owners get is about the charging. The lack of need to worry about gas stations is HUGE. When people ask about if charging the car is a hassle, I ask them if they prefer charging their phone overnight or would they rather have a disposable battery that can’t be recharged but you would change it every day in a few minutes and it would cost more money and make your hands dirty.

They usually blink at me few times before they get the analogy. Then the answer is always the same...

My analogy seems SO RIDICULOUS that why would anyone every want to have dirty, more expensive disposable batteries for their cell phone. Soon, everyone will have the same attitude towards gas and ICE cars.

• Winner Winner x 7
    • Like Like x 6
    • Love it! Love it! x 2
  19. Maevra

Top-Contributor
    Expand Collapse

Country
    So I'm walking the dog and suddenly I see... could it be? YES! It's a white Model 3! Driver was stuck at a light so I waved, but they didn't see me (or ignored the crazy lady waving like a maniac). Just my luck seeing a 3 on the one day I chose not to wear my Tesla logo hat! :D

• Like Like x 4
  20. Lovesword

M3OC Supporting Member
    M3OC Supporting Member
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    I'm loving this thread! Keep them coming all!
    I'll combine a few small ones we probably all have, but they make me feel good each time so...sharing!

Out for dinner with friends (I of course picked them up so they could see my car!) and when we were leaving there was a small group of kids out and one exclaimed "OH MAN, LOOK AT THAT TESLA!" I waved and then peeled out (safely, the opposite way of the children!). So YES @TrevP, the KIDS GET IT!!! :)

Walking out to my car in a grocery store parking lot, this car drove by slowly and I could read the drivers mouth. "Oh. My. GOD!" They went past and circled back only to park somewhat distant from us. I was kind of waiting because of COURSE I'll stop and talk about my car with people... but they just parked and sat there... and stared. I asked my wife, are they walking up? "Nope, just sitting there... staring, their jaws are on the floor."
    Nice, but... ok, I guess we leave then. VROOOM <---did we ever decide on an EV equivalent?

Last one. Yesterday I was on my way home, stopped at a light waiting to take a left. Coming the other way was a nice silver Model S. He was kind of MOVING! He slowed down and started waving!! In that brief moment I thought "Nice Model S!" "Why is this guy waving at me? Oh yeah! I'm in a Tesla too!!" and "When is this light going to change so I can drive more?" all at once... and I tried to wave back but he might have been too far past me to see. I tried! I definitely am going to wave! I'll even wave at crazy ladies waving like maniacs (with or without Tesla hats) @Maevra . ;)

• Love it! Love it! x 4
    • Like Like x 1
Model 3 Owners Club © 2018. All rights reserved.
Model 3 Owners Club (M3OC) is an enthusiast club and is not affiliated with Tesla Motors or the Tesla Motors Club Forum (TMC).
All Tesla logos are trademarks or registered trademarks of Tesla Motors.