1. Tesla Model 3 apparel now available!

Dismiss Notice

Tesla vs. ICE & Other EVs

Discussion in 'Electric Vehicles' started by Dan Detweiler, Apr 18, 2017.

More threads by Dan Detweiler
  1. Dan Detweiler

Top-Contributor
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Canton, Georgia
    Country
    I have a question for those of you that may have experience with Teslas as well as other EVs or even ICE cars. I have been driving a Volt for the past 4 years and one thing I have noticed is that while there is virtually no noise from the car itself there is significantly noticeable road noise. Sometimes it is quite bad.

Do Teslas suffer from the same issue? I guess without engine noise you just notice road and wind noise more. Has Tesla done anything above and beyond to shelter the cabin from these unwanted noises? I also wonder if Tesla's skateboard design muffles the road noise somewhat as opposed to the Chevy Volt's "T" battery pack.

Dan

2. garsh

Dis Member
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Pittsburgh PA
    Country
    Even for ICE vehicles, once you get above 20 mph, and assuming you're not accelerating hard, most of the noise you hear is road noise.

I don't think the battery pack will make much of a difference. The noise comes from the tires. Adding additional sound insulation (like dynamat) to the wheel-well areas would help a lot.

Also, you can try to buy tires with a quiet tread pattern, but I think that's more of an art than a science.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • MelindaV

☰ > 3
      Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
      Vancouver, WA
      Country
      Your tires make a big difference. Check TireRack's review/ratings for noise ratings
      http://blog.tirerack.com/blog/turk-t/what-are-the-quietest-tires-v3

Antidotally, last week I drove to Seattle (160miles ea way). On the way home we were passed by two identical trucks. First had knobby tires and it made so much noise you could not hear it's engine, it's exhaust, my stereo, etc. The second with stock tires had some tire noise, but not louder than the rest of the truck.

• Informative Informative x 4
      • jman

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
        shrewsbury, Ma
        I am SOOO excited to finally have two electric vehicles....need to bring in 2005 Highlander for oil change !!! Will cost 100 bucks, so refreshing not to have to look at my odometer for every 5K miles to have SOMETHING changed......will hopefully get MB B Class or Kia EV Soul next.....anybody have these vehicles can give a review??

• Michael Russo

Top-Contributor
        Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
        Belgium now, SW France when my Model ≡ gets here
        Country
        Brief, yet good video from the Like Tesla YouTube channel, with some valuable reminders & fresh facts, from reference studies, including fresh ones, on relative cradle to grave environmental impact of EVs vs. 'fossil' cars (quoting Bjorn Nyland, my other favorite T≡SLA YouTuber!) :

• JBsC6

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
        Northern NJ
        Country
        Tesla model S p90d with 21 inch performance tires was noisy in its road test as the original poster described. Tesla model S road tested same course with standard 19 inch wheels and tires was quiet.

It's all in the tires....

Personally I might consider a set of winter tires in base rims and aftermarket rims with performance tires for the summer months.

I'm not sure but depending on initial costs from the factory for larger rims I might go that route.

Often times the aftermarket does offer interesting and often times less expensive wheel and tire options...

The dam potholes holes are killer for keeping wheels round...having an extra set around does make it easier to drop off a wheel at the local wheel repair shop.

When shopping for a second set of tires...read the tire rack review for the tires superior qualities. In my opinion I have found michelins to be worth the extra money from a ride and handling not to mention noise perspective....but it does depend on the brand and the model tire chosen...

Hope this helps and sometimes it's just the road surface and that can't be helped....depending on where you have this noise issue.

I'm looking forward to June or July as the model 3 releases and we start to get some in person viewing of the vehicle and the options ....and the colors!

• Like Like x 1