Tesla Wall Connector with 14-50 Plug

pmaynes

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
Does anyone know if the wall connector with 14-50 Plug is the same inside as the regular wall connector? I.e. Tesla just added a cord and plug? The reason I am curious is I have 2 NEMA 14-50 outlets on one breaker and I want to install 2 wall connectors with communication wire between them.

GDN

M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
The same questions have been asked, but no one has an answer yet that I'm aware of. The manual for the new corded WC doesn't mention being able to daisy chain them nor to be able to adjust it's max amperage. One would think that they may have just added a cord and used the original WC otherwise as is without crippling it from being used as a non-corded model, but we don't know. They could have crippled it to protect it from going beyond 40 amps. The web page and manual says it will charge up to 40 amps and to connect it to a 50 amp circuit, which by definition a 14-50 is.

pmaynes

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
I had checked the manual too, the lack of info on the subject is understandable as it is suppose to be easy plug and play but I was hoping someone tried one out.

garsh

Dis Member
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I had checked the manual too, the lack of info on the subject is understandable as it is suppose to be easy plug and play but I was hoping someone tried one out.
Yeah, we'll have to be on the lookout for the first person to buy one and open it up to peek inside. :)

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
Anyone with any intel on when the HPWC will be available again with the NEMA14-50 plug? That was a most elegant solution for those of us that are willing to sacrifice the slightly slower charging speed for the portability it provided (i.e. for moving). It was available since about mid-December, then last week both the standard silver HPWC (hardwired) and the HPWC with the 14-50 plug went sold out. Now the silver is listed sold out, and the 14-50 HPWC is gone. I know you can just use the extension cord with the NEMA 14-50 adapter, but I am getting my garage ready for my big spring purchase and I want to know if its coming back or should I just go ahead and hardwire the HPWC. Cheers!

Lovesword

Top-Contributor
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Anyone with any intel on when the HPWC will be available again with the NEMA14-50 plug? That was a most elegant solution for those of us that are willing to sacrifice the slightly slower charging speed for the portability it provided (i.e. for moving). It was available since about mid-December, then last week both the standard silver HPWC (hardwired) and the HPWC with the 14-50 plug went sold out. Now the silver is listed sold out, and the 14-50 HPWC is gone. I know you can just use the extension cord with the NEMA 14-50 adapter, but I am getting my garage ready for my big spring purchase and I want to know if its coming back or should I just go ahead and hardwire the HPWC. Cheers!
I still have the link to it from a previous post in this thread here. But I get a 404 page not found when trying to navigate to it. Looks like it’s completely gone. :(
https://shop.tesla.com/us/en/product/vehicle-accessories/wall-connector-with-14-50-plug.html
D6925FF3-F5B1-46A9-A4B7-BED3CE2C8F2C.png

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
I still have the link to it from a previous post in this thread here. But I get a 404 page not found when trying to navigate to it. Looks like it’s completely gone. :(
https://shop.tesla.com/us/en/product/vehicle-accessories/wall-connector-with-14-50-plug.html
View attachment 21786
Yes, it has disappeared from the shop. Last week I noticed it was just sold out, now its gone. :cry:
Just wondering if someone associated with the Tesla Accessories side can tell us if its just back ordered, or if they gave up on making them.

JasonF

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I wonder if they ran afoul of someone or another because the HPWC is a permanent install, and adding a plug to it basically encourages people to install it without an electrician.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I wonder if they ran afoul of someone or another because the HPWC is a permanent install, and adding a plug to it basically encourages people to install it without an electrician.
Ran afoul of who? The local IBEW?

It's really no different than the UMC that the car comes with from that standpoint, just a little more sophisticated and capable. So not like the device was going to be running up against a UL code or anything like that.

Lovesword

Top-Contributor
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I'm wondering if they intended for it to do more.. like having multiples of these units connected to the same power source and be able to "talk" with one another and smartly share/distribute the charge. That was a highly asked question as soon as this thing came out and we all discovered that there was no mention of this feature ... does it have that or not? If it does not then that's really unfortunate, truly a missed opportunity. Maybe it will reappear with different verbiage?

They've also removed products from their store before only to re-post them quickly at a different price point (like the portable phone charger). So there's that.

Just spit balling here...

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
DÆrik had an unboxing and inside look on his YouTube channel
of an item that sure appeared to be a "Wall Connector with 14-50 Plug" way back on Jan 26 2018 (yes, it had jumpers inside), but of course a lot could have changed between then and now.

FYI, the order page
for the "Wall Connector with 14-50 Plug" showed as Sold Out on Jan 31 2019, and has now been taken offline.

GDN

M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
DÆrik had an unboxing and inside look on his YouTube channel
of an item that sure appeared to be a "Wall Connector with 14-50 Plug" way back on Jan 26 2018 (yes, it had jumpers inside), but of course a lot could have changed between then and now.

FYI, the order page
for the "Wall Connector with 14-50 Plug" showed as Sold Out on Jan 31 2019, and has now been taken offline.
This product in the video was out there, they showed up in Canada. Many were hitting eBay and the part numbers could never be tracked back to anything official at Tesla. They disappeared to never been seen again. Don't know if this new product carried those same part number or different. Since it has now disappeared again, it could have just been clearing out the inventory that had been left from a year ago.