1. Model 3 is coming. Get your Model 3 Owners Club apparel today!

Dismiss Notice

Tesla working towards 5-10 minute supercharger fillups

Discussion in 'News from Electrek.co' started by garsh, Jul 21, 2016.

More threads by garsh
  1. garsh

Dis Member
    Moderator M3OC Supporting Member
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Pittsburgh PA
    Country
    electrek: Tesla quietly upgraded its Superchargers for faster charging, now capable of 145 kW

The part of this article that I find most interesting is the bit at the end:

"...Tesla aims to bring the charging down to 5 to 10 minutes"

When this happens, the market for new gasoline-powered cars will evaporate overnight. Gasoline prices will rapidly fall over the next several years, and the majority of gas stations will go out of business. A few will remain - mostly ones that also provide CNG and more importantly, supercharging. We live in exciting times.

• Like Like x 1
  2. TrevP

M3OC Founder / Administrator
    Founder M3OC Supporting Member
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Aurora,Ontario
    Tesla Owner:
    Reservation
    Country
    JB's comment about getting the charge time down to 5 or 10 minutes I think is predicated on getting battery packs large enough to be able to slam them hard for that amount of time and get a usable amount of range out of then. If you could hit the pack with enough juice in 5 minutes to get a say 25 to 30% SOC and get maybe 150 miles that would work well.

However the prices need to come down of course to make such large packs doable. I wonder how they might do that.... :)

3. KirbyTurbo

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Denver, CO
    Don't you mean Gasoline prices will rise? If the prices fall then would it not be difficult to change the market?

It's going to be difficult to change the masses thought process. Right now most people will always want a full battery rather than just enough to get where they need to go.

With that said, if they can get Super Charging down to 5 - 10 minutes then it would really assist with their new goals for auto transportation.

4. BigBri

Top-Contributor
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Toronto, Ontario
    Country
    That'd be wicked if 5 minutes gave you enough juice to get a fair distance. It'll take awhile. Everyone seems to have some level of range anxiety. Probably because electricity isn't a tangible thing like gasoline is.

5. garsh

Dis Member
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Pittsburgh PA
    Country
    No. If people suddenly stop buying new gasoline cars, then the demand for gasoline will suddenly shrink. When there's more supply for a product than demand for it, prices drop.

The US government could prop up the oil industry short term by buying oil to top off our Strategic Petroleum Reserves. But I predict it will take a while for the government to react, and for the industry to reduce supply to compensate, and therefore prices will drop.

6. Topher

Energy Curmudgeon
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Maine
    Tesla Owner:
    Reservation
    Country
    ... and when prices drop, supply drops. Many extraction techniques just aren't cost effective at low prices, to name one issue. So, the simplest thing that can be said about oil prices is that they will be volatile. They will go down and that will cause them to go up, and vice versa. We have already seen this over the past decade.

Thank you kindly.

7. garsh

Dis Member
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Pittsburgh PA
    Country
    Ideally. The problem here is that there are several countries that live and die from selling oil. If they haven't managed to diversify into other fields, they may end up dumping everything they can produce at even lower prices.

Once the US & Canada started producing shale oil, OPEC quickly dropped the price of oil to make fracking not cost-effective. That's the main reason why gas is so cheap right now. So I agree, oil prices will be volatile, but in this case I think that means we will end up with really cheap oil for several years as a consequence of electric car uptake. Seems counter-intuitive, but I'll stick by that prediction. :D

8. Topher

Energy Curmudgeon
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Maine
    Tesla Owner:
    Reservation
    Country
    Not even ideally, inevitably. Some oil production methods just aren't economically possible at low prices. Dumping everything at lower prices just means you go bankrupt *faster*.

Thank you kindly.

9. Badback

Valued Community Member
    M3OC Supporting Member
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Prior Lake, MN
    Tesla Owner:
    Reservation
    Country
    #9 Badback, Jul 24, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2016
    Just my not so humble opinion: I have a problem with any country that gets filthy rich without doing any work. And, then uses the money to do bad things. Not mentioning any names here, you can guess.

So, if they wind up going bankrupt in the end, that is justice. Maybe I should invest in a camel ranch, looks like demand will be rising.

• Agree Agree x 1