Tesla's Communications About New Firmware Updates

Bernard

M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I just an email from Tesla announcing this update. I still don't have it. DAMN YOU Tesla!
Why the last part? It takes time to roll it out. Why not thank Tesla for constantly updating your car and making it better rather than rage at it?
Would you rather have a car from any other brand, that will be pretty much fixed in the configuration you bought it in?
Would you rather Tesla be completely silent rather than let you know about coming attractions? The keyword is "coming" here: Tesla's email does not say "try it out in your car now."

Maynerd

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Why the last part? It takes time to roll it out. Why not thank Tesla for constantly updating your car and making it better rather than rage at it?
Would you rather have a car from any other brand, that will be pretty much fixed in the configuration you bought it in?
Would you rather Tesla be completely silent rather than let you know about coming attractions? The keyword is "coming" here: Tesla's email does not say "try it out in your car now."
SO first of all, it's tongue and cheek. But if we want to get real here, they could trigger the email when your car is flagged to get the update. They could have a clear order on how people get the update, instead of it being seemingly random. Lastly, they've been testing the navigate feature for a while now, no reason to throttle these updates. Release it to everyone all at once, hell they could even prioritize it for people on wifi. There's still some people who had not received the original V9 update.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
SO first of all, it's tongue and cheek. But if we want to get real here, they could trigger the email when your car is flagged to get the update. They could have a clear order on how people get the update, instead of it being seemingly random. Lastly, they've been testing the navigate feature for a while now, no reason to throttle these updates. Release it to everyone all at once, hell they could even prioritize it for people on wifi. There's still some people who had not received the original V9 update.
i agree with you.

Bokonon

Self-identified Teslaholic
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Well that's an even worse reason to send out the email today to me a Model 3 owner. Why not wait until it's ready?
I'd *like* to think that it's a sign that whatever additional validation they needed to do on the 3 specifically is complete, and that it will go wide-release tonight... but that's my usual triple-rainbow optimism talking. :)

Maynerd

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I'd *like* to think that it's a sign that whatever additional validation they needed to do on the 3 specifically is complete, and that it will go wide-release tonight... but that's my usual triple-rainbow optimism talking. :)
Here's to hoping! :)

fazluke

Country
Country
I just an email from Tesla announcing this update. I still don't have it. DAMN YOU Tesla!
I have mine too 4 hours ago but usually I get the download around midnight, so be patient.....just make sure that you are on a wifi

Bernard

M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Glad to learn that it was not meant for real!

I am not sure it would that easy to trigger the email when it is the car's "turn". The entire firmware must have been successfully downloaded (and in that case, of course, you just get a notification that the update is available), since otherwise there could still be arbitrary delays due to poor connectivity. Some people would be able to keep their cars within range of wifi once they are notified, but many do not have that much choice and so might not see the update for a week or two after their notification -- missing "their" slot in the queue and having to wait for another.
Finally, Tesla might have a good reason for the "throttle" on 42.2 for Model 3: about 10'000 Model 3s (from Teslafi, assuming a bit over 1% representation) have received 42.2, so it's possible that some issues have been identified by owners and Tesla is working on fixing them; or it could just be that they are prioritizing S and X over 3, as they appear to have done for 39.

Perhaps Tesla should tell us more about their firmware release process, but it might just fuel more speculation about "when am I getting xx.y?" and give some people reasons to get upset.
Personally, I'd rather get a broad announcement about imminent improvements and thus expect something over the next several weeks, rather than be given a specific date, wait impatiently for it, and find out it did not happen anyway.

Maynerd

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Glad to learn that it was not meant for real!

I am not sure it would that easy to trigger the email when it is the car's "turn". The entire firmware must have been successfully downloaded (and in that case, of course, you just get a notification that the update is available), since otherwise there could still be arbitrary delays due to poor connectivity. Some people would be able to keep their cars within range of wifi once they are notified, but many do not have that much choice and so might not see the update for a week or two after their notification -- missing "their" slot in the queue and having to wait for another.
Finally, Tesla might have a good reason for the "throttle" on 42.2 for Model 3: about 10'000 Model 3s (from Teslafi, assuming a bit over 1% representation) have received 42.2, so it's possible that some issues have been identified by owners and Tesla is working on fixing them; or it could just be that they are prioritizing S and X over 3, as they appear to have done for 39.

Perhaps Tesla should tell us more about their firmware release process, but it might just fuel more speculation about "when am I getting xx.y?" and give some people reasons to get upset.
Personally, I'd rather get a broad announcement about imminent improvements and thus expect something over the next several weeks, rather than be given a specific date, wait impatiently for it, and find out it did not happen anyway.
I don't want to argue with you but come on man. They want to program cars to drive themselves and they can't figure out how to send an email at a time when a car is going to be sent the signal to take the update? To address some of your other concerns they could write the email to state that being connected to wifi will ensure that you will get the update more quickly than if you are only connected over the air. There's no reason to make someone miss their slot, they flip a switch saying these cars will be notified of the update availability, then they wait for X period of time and trigger the next lot. If people didn't get it previously because they weren't connected to wifi, so be it, they will get it later or when they next connect to wifi. If S and X cars are going to get it first then say that and going back to the email thing, send emails to people who are getting the signal sent to them instead of being lazy and sending it to everyone. It's more work and effort but it's not THAT hard. To be clear the email they sent doesn't say I'm going to get it in a few weeks, it says "Please note this feature is only available with the latest software update (Version 2018.42). In order to receive this update, make sure your car is connected to a strong WiFi signal." I'm connected to a strong wifi signal every night. Where's my update? :)

Look I'm fine with waiting, I'll live... but Tesla doesn't get a free pass to do anything they want because they are being nice and giving me a software update. We all paid a good chunk of change for these cars and we should expect more. There are better ways to do things and they should try to do it better.

Last edited:

hdgmedic

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I don't want to argue with you but come on man. They want to program cars to drive themselves and they can't figure out how to send an email at a time when a car is going to be sent the signal to take the update? To address some of your other concerns they could write the email to state that being connected to wifi will ensure that you will get the update more quickly than if you are only connected over the air. There's no reason to make someone miss their slot, they flip a switch saying these cars will be notified of the update availability, then they wait for X period of time and trigger the next lot. If people didn't get it previously because they weren't connected to wifi, so be it, they will get it later or when they next connect to wifi. If S and X cars are going to get it first then say that and going back to the email thing, send emails to people who are getting the signal sent to them instead of being lazy and sending it to everyone. It's more work and effort but it's not THAT hard. To be clear the email they sent doesn't say I'm going to get it in a few weeks, it says "Please note this feature is only available with the latest software update (Version 2018.42). In order to receive this update, make sure your car is connected to a strong WiFi signal." I'm connected to a strong wifi signal every night. Where's my update? :)

Look I'm fine with waiting, I'll live... but Tesla doesn't get a free pass to do anything they want because they are being nice and giving me a software update. We all paid a good chunk of change for these cars and we should expect more. There are better ways to do things and they should try to do it better.
They are doing it better. How many emails has anyone ever gotten from any other manufacturer that told them there was update at the same time as they got it. Answer: Zero. How many other manufacturers constantly upgtade their vehicle at all? Answer: Zero. Sheesh, man! Next someone will complain they don't get personal phone calls to announce updates or they can't talk directly to an online chat rep via the web browser. It is all about expectations. If they performed like everyone else, you wouldn't be complaining. Owners of Jaguars, Mercedes, BMW and Audi also pay a pretty chunk for their cars and get nothing like this. They are thankful when they take their car in for service and get the occasional free update to something. Yet, here we have bellyaching about someone not timing an email correctly? C'mon man!

PNWmisty

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Owners of Jaguars, Mercedes, BMW and Audi also pay a pretty chunk for their cars and get nothing like this. They are thankful when they take their car in for service and get the occasional free update to something. Yet, here we have bellyaching about someone not timing an email correctly? C'mon man!
Completely agree! Volvo charges for firmware upgrades, even when the upgrade is to fix a problem with the way the car runs under certain temperature scenarios or other problems. I think we needed 3 or 4 software upgrades over the life of our S80 T-6 and I recall they averaged a little over $100 each. Some of them reduced peak hp and torque and one actually made the MPG go down in the winter. And we had to pay for those!

I don't recall that any of them added additional functionality, they just fixed acceleration and fouling issues. They were a source of profit for the service center.

Maynerd

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
They are doing it better. How many emails has anyone ever gotten from any other manufacturer that told them there was update at the same time as they got it. Answer: Zero. How many other manufacturers constantly upgtade their vehicle at all? Answer: Zero. Sheesh, man! Next someone will complain they don't get personal phone calls to announce updates or they can't talk directly to an online chat rep via the web browser. It is all about expectations. If they performed like everyone else, you wouldn't be complaining. Owners of Jaguars, Mercedes, BMW and Audi also pay a pretty chunk for their cars and get nothing like this. They are thankful when they take their car in for service and get the occasional free update to something. Yet, here we have bellyaching about someone not timing an email correctly? C'mon man!
Sorry no free passes just because it's Tesla. They can do a better job it isn't hard. They are being lazy. And I agree with you, it is about expectations, they should be setting proper expectations and people would have less leg to stand on when bitching. That includes me. :)

hdgmedic

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Sorry no free passes just because it's Tesla. They can do a better job it isn't hard. They are being lazy. And I agree with you, it is about expectations, they should be setting proper expectations and people would have less leg to stand on when bitching. That includes me. :)
So, if the email started with "In the coming weeks," there would be less complaining? Perhaps, that is the answer. Tesla, are you paying attention? Please start your emails with "In the coming weeks" Thanks!

Maynerd

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
So, if the email started with "In the coming weeks," there would be less complaining? Perhaps, that is the answer. Tesla, are you paying attention? Please start your emails with "In the coming weeks" Thanks!
That would certainly be a start.

350VDC

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
That would certainly be a start.
Not quite sure you were ready for an electric car, if you are still comparing Tesla to ICE manufacturers. By buying a Tesla you also are part of a pioneering development that will be more evident in a few years. Yes' it can be frustrating as they learn how to combine the release of new and experimental features with customer service. To claim they are lazy and can do better? Maybe you have some insight into their processes? We all complain at times and everyone loves to speculate what is going on behind the scenes, but I have yet to hear anyone in person or on here say they regret buying a Tesla. All I see is eager excitement and anticipation for new features and releases that in the long run will make the car better. Perhaps another brand where you know the features are limited and final would be a better choice for you.

Maynerd

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Not quite sure you were ready for an electric car, if you are still comparing Tesla to ICE manufacturers. By buying a Tesla you also are part of a pioneering development that will be more evident in a few years. Yes' it can be frustrating as they learn how to combine the release of new and experimental features with customer service. To claim they are lazy and can do better? Maybe you have some insight into their processes? We all complain at times and everyone loves to speculate what is going on behind the scenes, but I have yet to hear anyone in person or on here say they regret buying a Tesla. All I see is eager excitement and anticipation for new features and releases that in the long run will make the car better. Perhaps another brand where you know the features are limited and final would be a better choice for you.
That's just ridiculous. I've not compared Tesla to ICE, not sure where you are getting that. I understand how customer service works though and its importance. I'm not dissatisfied by my car or my purchase. I am just saying we should not just drink the kool-aid non-stop. It is very realistic for Tesla to do a better job with these rollouts and they should and we should expect better.