1. Tesla Model 3 apparel now available!

Dismiss Notice

Test drive model 3?

Discussion in 'Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by Brian D. Kincannon, Jun 11, 2016.

More threads by Brian D. Kincannon
  1. Brian D. Kincannon

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Michigan
    So I am new to tesla and live in Michigan. We do not have a dealership here. The closest one to me is in Ohio over 200 miles away. My question is, will there a chance to test drive the model 3 before I put in my final order? If so, will I have to make the drive to the Ohio dealer?

The car will be mainly for my wife and she wants to make sure she likes it. Also want to see if three car seats will fit in the back seat with room in the trunk for a stroller.

Any help would be very appreciated. Thanks.

2. MelindaV

☰ > 3
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Vancouver, WA
    Country
    Welcome Brian!

First, Tesla has 'stores' (in states not blocking them from selling) and 'galleries' (where they are not permitted to sell a vehicle) not dealerships, explaining why there are none able in your state. Semantics. ;)

Test drives should be available. In the past tesla has had test drive events at locations in addition to the store locations. Not sure specifics in or near MI in the past though. Tesla is also working on expanding locations greatly between now and 2018, so even if outside MI, there may end up being one closer than the current OH you mentioned. Also, just to get an overall feel before the Model 3 comes out, you can schedule a Model S test drive too. so if you plan on being near a tesla store look into it.

The car seats fitting will really depend on their size and style. For reference, in the larger Model S (how much difference in the back seats width we will not know for a while) some have fit three across, but not all styles work. The model 3's trunk looks pretty deep (no gas tank under it!) and extends under the rear window quite a ways. It shouldn't be an issue holding a stroller unless it's exceptionally large. Some people are concerned about the size of the trunk opening, but it is comparable to most other midsize sedans.

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. jim stack

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    chandler
    I'd expect many people in your area will have a Tesla mode 3 later in 2017. I'm sure they ,like me would be happy to let you test drive their car, ride in it and check the room and features. Tesla owners have been doing that from day one. They don't need commercials or sales people since owners love and share their rides.

You can also go to the closest Super Charger and see owners driving cross state and country . They are all over the state IE=
    Super Charger - Meijer 8605 E. 34 Road Cadillac, MI 49601 Charging 8 Superchargers, available 24/7

4. Blackout

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Toronto, ON
    Country
    Looll we are very far from this topic...We'll still have to wait for the 2nd reveal which may happen at the earliest by the end of this year...

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. JWardell

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Boston
    Country
    I remember seeing somewhere that if you test drive an S, they have a way to dial it back to simulate a 3. Can anyone confirm that is true? If so I might ask for a test drive sooner than later.

6. jim stack

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    chandler
    The information I have read says the model S can be programmed to act like the S60, S75, S90 but not the model 3. Maybe someone was just wishing for that. It would have to get 20% smaller and make the dash disappear and display screen turn 90 degrees to simulate a model 3 among other things. There will be a few out before you have to confirm your vehicle so just wait and watch to see when they start rolling on in 2017. http://insideevs.com/own-a-tesla-mo...now-you-can-by-entering-a-code-into-your-90d/

7. TrevP

M3OC Founder / Administrator
    Founder
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Aurora,Ontario
    Country
    #7 TrevP, Aug 19, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2016
    With the production numbers Tesla is trying to reach it wouldn't surprise me if they had test drive cars available for their showrooms in short time.

At least they had the "Get Amped" events for the Model 3 in late 2012 where reservation holders could test drive beta vehicles. They might repeat that with the 3 if the production ramp isn't up to snuff but that's worst case scenario.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Dan Detweiler

Top-Contributor
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Canton, Georgia
    I did test drive a Model S that the employee could select the performance specs on. He said that some demos got that feature. Very handy for demonstrating the acceleration differences between the models. Pretty significant going from 70D to P90DL in a matter of seconds.

Dan

9. Blackout

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Toronto, ON
    Country
    I had my 3rd Test drive today and luckily each time I get to test drive something new...This time I had a chance to test drive Model S 60

Now I think this is the closest car to the model 3 available right now and here is why...

Model S 60 base model -> 60Kwh - 338km range / 4323 lbs
    Model 3 base model -> 50Kwh- 346km range / 3900 lbs(my estimation)/

Now when I drove it, the first thing I noticed was the weight difference...All Tesla feel light and Agile despite being a heavy car...but this one felt lighter...
    And Yes it is slower than the 90D but wow because of the weight reduction and instant torque it just felt right...Accelerate way faster than I expected....reaching 130km/hr in no time until the Test-drive software interrupt kicked off and slows u down...(the test drive car has this option not available to customers where you can limit the performance of the car whether its speed or battery energy output...)

So we know the Model 3 will be 10% shorter in length, possibly as wide as the mode S and will have a smaller battery...But a smaller car means a reduction in weight..and since Elon already confirmed the base car will be doing 215Miles...which is very close to what the 60 is doing? then I think it's fair to say right now until we get to test Drive the model 3...the Model S 60 or 60D is your best bet....

Now I have to say I've test drove a P90D software limited to a 75D and the 60 felt different...because although the output is limited, the car still has it's original weight, and that play a noticeable factor...there is also air suspension on the 90D test drive cars vs Coil suspension on the base model 60...and all these makes a difference in the driving experience...

I feel, with the 60 alone I've way more power/speed/agility that I'll ever need in a car...so if my calculations are correct, that the Model S 60 would be pretty close to the Model 3 base? then I truly understand what Elon meant by You will not find a better car for $35K US....

FYI: Other interesting facts the Tesla charger base price now drops to 650$ CAD before it was about 1100$, extra money you can throw on getting a dual charger option instead, and cut down on your charging time at home...

Getting Excited folks...

10. Paul Spiers

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Newmarket, Ontario
    Country
    #10 Paul Spiers, Aug 28, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2016
    image.jpeg I had my first test drive of a 70D Model S today at the Lawrence Street East location in Toronto.

I have to say that it was exactly what I expected...perfect!!! I test drove a 70D without insane mode and I was floored with how fast off the line this car accelerates. The sales associate, Chris, that was with me on the test drive, encouraged me to take the exit at a higher speed to show how flat the car corners. I have to admit I was timid because in my own car I would have been nearly out of control. The Model S feels so solid and I'm sure I could have gone even faster around the curve. We went down the DVP to try out the auto pilot and it to was amazing. I was impressed with how it changes lanes very assertively and accurately. Chris then had me exit at Wynford Ave and then set the regen to normal or was that standard? Anyway, I love the regen feeling and how little braking is needed. In no time the test drive was over but, not before I was able to floor it another time. When we returned to the parking lot he showed me the auto park feature. I missed the first opportunity to use the auto park and after repositioning the car was able to complete an autopark. All I can say is that I wish I hadn't taken a test drive and at the same time am glad I did. Now the wait for the Model 3 is going to be even more excruciating.

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. TrevP

M3OC Founder / Administrator
    Founder
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Aurora,Ontario
    Country
    I went to a Tesla event about a month ago with my wife at the Yorkdale Mall. Took a test drive in a P90DL (ludicrous). Lets just say the first time I hit the floor it scared the scrap out of me and I backed off. Once I was more comfortable with the car I floored it on a on-ramp and could barely hold onto the steering wheel, meanwhile my wife was in the back seat with a HUGE grin on her face ;)

I never had intentions of getting ludicrous on the Model 3 but after the test drive my wife asked if that was going to be available on our car and I said yes. She said "I'll pay for the option" ;)

Maybe we should rename this thread "The Tesla Grin"

• Like Like x 2
  12. teslaliving

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Boston
    The details I read on that imply its just graphics/UI, not actual car behavior.

You could try valet mode but I hope the Model 3 doesnt work/feel like that!

13. LastGas

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    South Carolina
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  14. Blackout

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Toronto, ON
    Country
    Ohh I feel ya...

Actually my ownership of a Tesla car is still in question because while test driving the salesmen went too fast without enough notice and my wife had a whiplash...so you can already tell she's not a fan of Tesla lol...

Not going to be easy to justify the Ludicrous mode when I'm planning to start a family at some point driving this car...

15. Blackout

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Toronto, ON
    Country
    Story of my life...I've been doing test drive once a month every month as a way to help me wait for this car...

After every test drive it's just more painful...

I think now I'm reaching a step where I want to rent a model S for a weekend...

16. Kizzy

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    California, USA
    Oh, darn. Did y'all actually get to drive? During my test drive, the sales associate was never in the driver's seat. (And I did't really punch the accelerator while I was driving.)

17. Kizzy

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    California, USA
    Oh, darn. Did y'all actually get to drive? During my test drive, the sales associate was never in the driver's seat. (And I did't really punch the accelerator while I was driving.)

18. Rick59

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Country
    My wife is in Palm Springs, California, visiting friends. She sent me this photo. I think she's coming over to the dark side.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 3
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
  19. teslaliving

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Boston
    No, she's heading towards the light.

• Like Like x 4
  20. TheTeslaFan

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Austin, TX
    Country
    #20 TheTeslaFan, Mar 6, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2017
    Straight from the Tesla webiste FAQ section on the Model 3 below. they will be providing test drives. July/August time-frame I would presume we'll start seeing them show up at stores and appointments will open up. Wouldn't be surprised if they get heavily booked and people will really have to wait a while to be able to get test one.

When can I test drive Model 3?
    We will provide the opportunity to get behind the wheel of Model 3 once we begin production. In the meantime, we invite you to stop by a Tesla store to experience Model S or Model X.

***Update***

I just spoke with a rep from headquarters and they informed me they didn't have any specific update on when test drives would be begin but they said based on having worked at Tesla for several years and seeing how they released the S and X, that it's likely there may be some kind of "Meet the Model 3" event held towards the end of this year in which Reservation holders will be able to drive one but to just keep monitoring the My Tesla page for updates on that.

• Like Like x 6
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1