The early adventures of "Excelsior"!

• If you haven't taken delivery yet or plan on ordering you can still get the 6 months of FREE Supercharging only until December 17th all Model 3s now qualify! Call or email your Tesla delivery advisor and give them our code
  • Winter is here and the forum is starting to get flooded with cold weather threads and posts. Please heed the suggested threads and posts before you post something related to cold weather. This is a great place to start: https://model3ownersclub.com/threads/teslas-in-cold-weather.5271

GateFather

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Everything went off without a hitch and I’ve been having a blast. This car is an absolute thrill to drive. It’s so beautiful and although I was told there wouldn’t be a dual motor badge, there is!

I was one of the lucky ones and had my original appointment moved up earlier! Was December 3rd and got it today. Inspected everything on the checklist and it’s all good. Feeling super lucky! Here are some pics of (and I stole this from someone else) “Excelsior!”

6E55E92E-E7B0-4D22-A842-14BF23702BCB.jpeg 445845C2-C19C-4F55-B8A7-E7603CB16D9F.jpeg 2892A7A0-FB62-4016-9076-A227E565E691.jpeg 5CD1E479-127D-418E-8147-0F7DF013DC51.jpeg 68757614-3A6F-4AE9-A88B-12453B23FE6F.jpeg

Last edited:

jasonm163

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Congrats, try not to obsess over keeping it clean like I do mine. You are going to find yourself washing it WAY too often LOL.

Do you have a NEMA 14-50 installed in the garage already? Or what are your plans for charging?

Dan D

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
How does "Danielle" feel about it? Hhaha looks like she got the first call.

And I'd really like that badge.

GateFather

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Congrats, try not to obsess over keeping it clean like I do mine. You are going to find yourself washing it WAY too often LOL.

Do you have a NEMA 14-50 installed in the garage already? Or what are your plans for charging?
Luckily my father in law is an electrician and helped me install a Tesla Wall Charger. It’s all ready and hooked up at home. Haven’t been home yet though!

How does "Danielle" feel about it? Hhaha looks like she got the first call.

And I'd really like that badge.
Haha Danielle is my wife. She’s actually not a fan. Told me she almost passed out when I took her for her inaugural drive and showed off it’s speed. Haha

Dan D

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Luckily my father in law is an electrician and helped me install a Tesla Wall Charger. It’s all ready and hooked up at home. Haven’t been home yet though!

Haha Danielle is my wife. She’s actually not a fan. Told me she almost passed out when I took her for her inaugural drive and showed off it’s speed. Haha
My wife was mostly a fan during all of the 2.5-year build-up. Until, by accident, she saw the dealer window sticker (with bold MSRP) laying there in the trunk. I had made it that long with the actual cost of the car never coming out of my mouth. I used phrases like... "well, the payment will almost be the same as the Honda". "Oh, that's cool then."

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country

Did you install the Wall Connector inside or outside? I'm curious since I live in NJ too.

Dan D

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Where is your panel if you had to come through the ceiling of your garage? Interesting.

I installed a 30-amp plug between my garage doors, similar to your location. My panel is in my garage but it still required 50-feet of conduit and wire to go around the rails of the doors.

Now that the car is here and I am in my real-life situation, I am already noticing that it's not an ideal location all the time. I'm considering splicing in a second plug on the other side of my garage that I can use if I back in. These are real-world problems, let me tell ya.

GateFather

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Where is your panel if you had to come through the ceiling of your garage? Interesting.

I installed a 30-amp plug between my garage doors, similar to your location. My panel is in my garage but it still required 50-feet of conduit and wire to go around the rails of the doors.

Now that the car is here and I am in my real-life situation, I am already noticing that it's not an ideal location all the time. I'm considering splicing in a second plug on the other side of my garage that I can use if I back in. These are real-world problems, let me tell ya.
The panel is on an adjacent outside wall. There’s an attic above the garage that we ran 40 feet of 6-2 gauge wire through (no neutral needed!) here’s a picture of that side. Garage doors to the right.

8B85DEFF-A358-435F-B5F4-BFA5FA8E63C4.jpeg

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Midnight Silver and delivered with a Dual Motor badge. I love the new animation for Autopilot calibration in progress. Sweet!!!

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Didn’t realize that was new! Loved that. Although the first couple tries after calibration almost drove me off the road! Better now after another 20 miles or so.
Its relatively new I believe within the last 1-2 months.

ADK46

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
How easy do you think it would be to pry off the “Dual Motor” badge? Not that I’d try to take yours, I’m too far away.

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
How easy do you think it would be to pry off the “Dual Motor” badge? Not that I’d try to take yours, I’m too far away.
It's very easy to debadge a car and here is the basic process...

(1) Park car in the sun
(2) Apply heat -- a hair dryer works well
(3) Run fishing line/floss behind the badging (pull toward you to avoid rubbing on the paint
(4) Lift the badge as you go, but don't pry it or you may leave marks in the paint
(5) Use Goo Gone to remove the remaining residue
(6) Wash and Wax the area

It's best to do this as earlier as possible especially with colors that may fade over time (usually common in the reds).

GateFather

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
@GateFather - have you tried to load up your back seat with the kids seats yet?
Getting there! Last on my list tonight. I have puddle lights, footwel lights, pedals, and vinyl on the docket tonight. I did something super dumb and accidentally tried to install the puddle lights in the footwell! The first wouldn’t go on so I chalked it up to pulling on the wires too hard and a service center visit to fix. The second did the same. Even when I realized what I’d done and removed them and put the OEM lights back in they’re off. On the passenger side, there is a red glow coming from inside the hole that the lights get put in in the wheel well. Did I blow a fuse? Something worse? Any help would be appreciated.

Got the puddle lights in the door no problem and they look great. Got only front doors and the Tesla T logo.

Brake pedal went on easy. Accelerator not so much. Have in some warm water to warm up the rubber now. Last for tonight is the vinyl and the car seat.

GateFather

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Exhausted! I got a lot done tonight, and also a couple missteps. Also a few questions for the more experience folks.

Successes:
1) New pedals (very nice and comfortable)!
567C870E-F976-44B1-AE55-264A74B4ECC3.jpeg 9B6BBDB7-D752-4A76-A258-2AD31AB6510B.jpeg
2) USB hub + USB drive partitioned with music on one partition and cam on the other- working like a charm!
3) Puddle lights for front driver and passenger of the Tesla T logo - nice!
447C476D-64B5-4358-80BB-9B6FD4EA5FAF.jpeg
4) Tesla wall charger works at my home nicely
5) iPhone XS Max has had no issues all day. Car was ready when I was!
6) Vinyl wrap is in and I think it looks nice! May cover the wood panel with the same material - not sure yet.
97D40B85-E162-4FC5-AE6F-68FFBA334DB9.jpeg 6ADADB05-2834-43EE-BA42-E4ECB61820A3.jpeg
7) Jeda wireless pad in. I have a software update that will install tonight but for now I measured the Voltags and only am getting 5.11V out of the front USB. Will look into this more tomorrow after update.
8) Car seat in. My sons first ride tomorrow!
CA89939B-AC91-42BD-BCB1-C2970EB14494.jpeg

Failures:
1) I seem to have broken the driver and passengers footwell lights :-( - I read that there are no fuses and sometimes in 60-90 min things “reset.” Well see...
- UPDATE 1:25AM - saw the software update was completed so went outside just to check things out and guess what!? Footwell lights work. Looks awesome now!
865395C8-6DB6-404F-86F8-45E5B57192F7.jpeg

Questions:
1) I setup my garage with homelink but for some reason even though I’ve set it to open and close automatically at 70 feet, it doesn't do it. It does open and close when I manually select the garage door from the homelink drop down.
2) Is there a way to have the mirrors automatically tuck in when homelink is triggered if I get that working (would be nice to have the mirrors in when pulling into garage)?
3) Is Eve for Tesla only for Model S and X? They have MyQ smart garage opener integration (I have those garage openers), but it seems to only be for S and X.
4) If a contact has multiple numbers, is there a way to always have it call one by default without having to choose. Even if I say, for example, “Call Danielle Mobile” it prompts me fore Home, Work, Mobile etc and I have to tap mobile each time.
5) Will summon stop if theres an obsticle in the way.....like a garage door?
6) Is it supposed to make strange noises from the motors while updating?

Technical Curiosity:
1) How much voltage is getting sent to the engines, anyway to see at any given time?
2) How is this car a real thing? Lol

Last edited:

GDN

M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Welcome to team Midnight Silver (although I now split my time with team Black). I love how so many accessories are available and people are stocked up and ready the day the car arrives. The pedals are my favorite.