The Frunk

• If you haven't taken delivery yet or plan on ordering you can still get the 6 months of FREE Supercharging only until December 17th all Model 3s now qualify! Call or email your Tesla delivery advisor and give them our code
  • Winter is here and the forum is starting to get flooded with cold weather threads and posts. Please heed the suggested threads and posts before you post something related to cold weather. This is a great place to start: https://model3ownersclub.com/threads/teslas-in-cold-weather.5271

garsh

Dis Member
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
There has been a lot of talk about the Model 3's trunk (vs hatchback), but I'm more interested in the frunk.
The photos appear to show a frunk that's not nearly as deep as the one in the Model S. I remember during the Model S unveil, having a person jump out of the car's frunk *with* a bag. Even without the front motor, it looks like the Model 3's frunk is not nearly as deep. I wonder if there's any possibility that they can make the final version a bit bigger.

garsh

Dis Member
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
My understanding is that the cars at the unveil were dual motor xars.
They were, and I think that explains the big hump exists at the back of the opening. The dual-motor S has a similar hump. But I though it would have been deeper (vertically).

Badback

Valued Community Member
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
I and my partner enjoy a couple of road trips each year. The big bone of contention seems to be where we stuff the cooler. My Other is a Cherry Coke addict, so she always stuffs our cooler with HER favorite. This leaves little room for our other provisions.

Looking at the frunk, it occurs to me that it would be a great place for a form fitting cooler.

Maybe we could get one of the major cooler makers to make one just for the Model 3. Maybe Coleman or Igloo.

What do you think?

Cool idea. Sorry. I had to say that.

Love the idea, though. Fill the frunk with ice and you have enough Cherry Coke for at least a day.

Let's take this a step further. You can back the car into the parking space at football (or other sporting event) games and instead of tailgating, you can "frunkgate."

Frunkgate is copyright JOFTAA, 2016 -- You heard the term first, right here. I just made it up.

Badback

Valued Community Member
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
Cool idea. Sorry. I had to say that.

Love the idea, though. Fill the frunk with ice and you have enough Cherry Coke for at least a day.

Let's take this a step further. You can back the car into the parking space at football (or other sporting event) games and instead of tailgating, you can "frunkgate."

Frunkgate is copyright JOFTAA, 2016 -- You heard the term first, right here. I just made it up.
"Frunkgate" sounds like a political scandal. How about "Frunk-a-que" or "Frunk al fresco"?

AEDennis

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

teslaliving

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country

Thalass

Isn't the 12v battery beside the frunk? If you were desperate you could wire a new connector from the battery directly. Obviously you'd need a fuse in line with it, and you possibly risk the car not starting up. (I think that's how it works in a Tesla, yes?)

AEDennis

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Isn't the 12v battery beside the frunk? If you were desperate you could wire a new connector from the battery directly. Obviously you'd need a fuse in line with it, and you possibly risk the car not starting up. (I think that's how it works in a Tesla, yes?)
We don't know where the battery is for the 3 or even if it will have a 12V battery. (probably will). But Roadster 1.5 had no 12V battery, Roadster 2.0 and 2.5s had a 12V.

teslaliving

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country
A number of people have poked through to the front area and connected directly to the battery. Some dash cams come with things to stop you draining the battery. The access isn't as easy as just tapping into the ODBII though.

I and my partner enjoy a couple of road trips each year. The big bone of contention seems to be where we stuff the cooler. My Other is a Cherry Coke addict, so she always stuffs our cooler with HER favorite. This leaves little room for our other provisions.

Looking at the frunk, it occurs to me that it would be a great place for a form fitting cooler.

Maybe we could get one of the major cooler makers to make one just for the Model 3. Maybe Coleman or Igloo.

What do you think?
The original Mercedes 300 SL gullwing had a custom-made set of luggage that exactly fit the space behind the seats. And that was 60 years ago.

Red Sage

The Cybernetic Samurai
Country
Country
It looks fine to me. Please note that is fitted luggage up front. The frunk will be fine. Have you seen the tiny tray that is in the front of a BMW i3? I'm not sure if it could hold a hammer and a couple of screwdrivers.

TrevP

M3OC Founder / Administrator
Founder
Tesla Owner
Model X
Country
Country
In case some of you haven't noticed, the frunk on the Model S has been getting smaller over time. We lost the "microwave" and 1/4 of the size when they introduced the dual motor and then another 1/4 when the Bioweapon defense HEPA filter was introduced. It's quite small now.

They were, and I think that explains the big hump exists at the back of the opening. The dual-motor S has a similar hump. But I though it would have been deeper (vertically).
Model 3 has lower nose and shorter front end than the S so the frunk is rather shallow and short. Wouldn't surprise me if the Model has the Bioweapon defense filter as an option too which would account for the small frunk. Just be thankful we didn't lose it completely!

TrevP

M3OC Founder / Administrator
Founder
Tesla Owner
Model X
Country
Country
Last edited: