1. Model 3 is coming. Get your Model 3 Owners Club apparel today!

Dismiss Notice

The Tesla Home of the Future is here now

Discussion in 'Tesla Discussions' started by Brokedoc, Aug 23, 2017.

More threads by Brokedoc
  1. Brokedoc

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    New York
    Country
    20170819_185640.jpg
    I had the privilege of touring a home recently that was almost finished with construction. It was gorgeous and way out of my price range but embodied what a true Tesla Home of the Future should be...everything except the Tesla solar tiles since those have not yet become publicly available. This house has boring, ugly solar panels (which can be seen on part of the roof in the drone picture).
    IS6yh2646qpf0j0000000000.jpg

The house is what any modern multimillion dollar in the Hamptons should look like. Views were amazing. Kitchen was gorgeous. Smart Home everything with full control of audio, lighting, HVAC, security all accessible through apps.

IS2fs2d1nzddfj0000000000.jpg

If you ask me, the most captivating part of the house is the garage. Full climate control and sound with ground space for 2 cars but one side had a lift to be able to park 2 cars vertically. There are currently 2 Powerwall2 units installed with plans to get another 2 Powerwall2 units. Only one Tesla wall connector installed but the builder will install more if requested. As per the listing agent, it may be possible to negotiate a new Tesla car with purchase of the house....

20170819_185611.jpg

20170819_174715.jpg

Even though the house is still under construction, the air conditioning has been running as usual and the electric bill for last month was only $17 with the use of solar panels (before installation of the Powerwall2). Basically, this house is "off the grid"

For those with $17 million burning a hole in their pocket, you can see the listing here:
    https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/14-Seaponack-Dr-Sag-Harbor-NY-11963/111517179_zpid/

• Like Like x 4
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. SoFlaModel3

Impatiently Waiting
    Moderator M3OC Supporting Member
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    South Florida
    Tesla Owner:
    Reservation
    Country
    Not bad but before I spend the $17 million I don't have, I would ask that they finish the floor in the garage and bury that wire running to the Tesla sign ;)

In all seriousness very cool.

Also, in non-Tesla news -- you don't have to be a multi-millionaire to get those toys...

I control my home's HVAC, Lighting, Garage Door, Burglar Alarm, and Security Cameras all remotely from an app. Fun times we're living in!

3. KennethK

Top-Contributor
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Michigan
    Country
    Wow, that is cool. Don't they worry about oil leaks on the bottom car?

But seriously, thank you for posting the pictures. I'm still waiting for my one Powerwall to be installed if they ever make it into Michigan.

4. Brokedoc

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    New York
    Country
    Lol.
    The Tesla sign was a temporary hedge put up to block the Tesla trailer that was set up.

The event was hosted by Tesla and Javier Verdura from Tesla described some of the artistic process in developing the solar tiles. Basically Elon throws a ridiculously impossible idea to the design team and tells them to do it in 3 months. It can be "design a beautiful solar panel" or "make a smaller Model S that costs less than $35k".

Javier's team drinks lots of coffee and take lots of Tums and refine their designs until they get Elon's stamp of approval. For the solar tiles, Javier's trick was to design the tile similar to the privacy filters that are used on some computer screens. When seen straight on, you can seen the solar cell and when seen at an angle, such as from the street looking up at the roof, it looks like a standard roof.

In talking about designing the Model 3, his favorite part is the minimalistic dash. He said it's "like sitting in front of a beautiful piece of Scandinavian furniture" and the dash is pushed so far away and much lower than a standard dash that the experience for the front passengers is completely different from sitting in a standard ICE car or even the Model S/X.

He said the most challenging part of designing the Model 3 was the directive to make the car under $35k. He said Elon refused any design suggestion to save money if it resulted in an inferior product. The design team could only make suggestions that saved money without affecting the quality of the car or improved the car.

He refused to speak about any future products or pipeline concepts beyond what Elon has already tweeted.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Brokedoc

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    New York
    Country
    I would think that the owner of a $17 milion house would make sure that their Bugatti doesn't have a oil leak.

I was surprised about the small size of the Powerwall2. For whatever reason, I pictured a battery pack at least double the size and similar to the floorpan of the the Model S where the battery is located.

It's funny also that the Tesla Wall Connector had the short cable and couldn't reach either of the Teslas parked in the garage.

• Funny Funny x 2
  6. KennethK

Top-Contributor
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Michigan
    Country
    Lol, I was referring to the model X leaking oil ;)

That is interesting about the short cable on the WC.

I am probably in the minority, but I really like the wood dash. In fact I'll do what I can to get wood overlays on the center console too. It reminds me of my i3.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Michael Russo

Top-Contributor
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Belgium now, SW France when my Model ≡ gets here
    Tesla Owner:
    Reservation
    Country
    Who was recently talking about what is even above first world problems?! :D

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. Badback

Valued Community Member
    M3OC Supporting Member
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Prior Lake, MN
    Tesla Owner:
    Reservation
    Country
    I'm with you. The "piano" black on the center console is just a big fingerprint magnet.

• Agree Agree x 1