1. Tesla Model 3 apparel now available!

Dismiss Notice

The Tesla-SolarCity deal explained through some amazing quotes by Elon Musk

Discussion in 'News from Electrek.co' started by RSSFeed, Jun 22, 2016.

More threads by RSSFeed
  1. RSSFeed

M3OC RSS Bot
    Expand Collapse

[​IMG]

Since Tesla announced its offer to buy SolarCity, which is still contingent on a vote by the shareholders, Wall Street has turned on the company with analysts issuing notes claiming that there’s little to no value in the deal. Barclays analyst Brian Johnson issued a note saying that he sees “little in the way of synergies and much in the way of cash burn.”

It’s not like Wall Street analysts have the best foresight, Johnson himself is ranked #2,713 out of 3,984 analysts on TipRank with an average return of -0.7%, but they represent the point of view of the financial sector.

As for the point of view from the actual customer offering/product side, a merger between Tesla and SolarCity will certainly open the door for some interesting product integrations and new distribution opportunities. more…

Filed under: Cars, Energy Sources, Solar, SolarCity, Tesla Tagged: Elon Musk, SCTY, SolarCity, Tesla, tesla solarcity merger, TSLA [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG]

Continue reading...

2. MelindaV

☰ > 3
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Vancouver, WA
    Country
    being from the architectural world, I am curious what Elon sees as how a solar panel can improve the look of a roof and make it "beautiful".

3. Topher

Top-Contributor
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Maine
    Country
    They are a beautiful iridescent blue. If architects can't make them look good on a roof, that is the fault of the architect, not the panels. Besides all they have to beat are asphalt shingles; put a road on your house...

Thank you kindly.

4. TrevP

M3OC Founder / Administrator
    Staff Member Founder
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Aurora,Ontario
    Country
    Most of "ugliness" of solar panels is in the colour contrast of the panels themselves being dark and the frames and hardware being light in colour. To most people the contrast is what makes them unsightly.

Recent panels I've seen are uniform in colour and blend in with the roofs a lot more.

Compare this:
    [​IMG]

With this:

[​IMG]

Elon is very much into aesthetics so you can be sure he has some ideas to improve on the overall design and look of panel installations.

5. TE3LA

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Iowa
    Country
    I have to agree with MelindaV on this one. I have yet to see a solar panel that doesn't look like an aftermarket addition slapped ontop of an existing roof. 99% of people to buy these things will in fact be putting them on houses that have already been built, so I fail to see how an architect is supposed to fix that problem.

Elon was talking-up the improvement in aesthetics pretty big. To convince general public, I believe the panels would have to not look like panels at all, but rather blend into the existing roof, or perhaps replace the entire existing roof with some sort of solar material. I have seen solar panels that were designed to mimic asphalt shingles (see below), but even those look like odd patches added to a roof.

Solar-Shingles-624x347.jpg

• Agree Agree x 1
    • deez

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
      TX
      I think mine are beautiful. Thanks Sun, keep burning!

[​IMG]

Due to the panels, I am able to take advantage of a kwh plan that is free from 9pm - 6am. So I charge my car for free at night. In the day my panels cover the household kwh needs, at night it's free. Considering my DD is an EV, there are little to no maintenance costs, and the power to send it down the road is free. So when I look at my roof, it looks better than ever.

• Topher

Top-Contributor
      Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
      Maine
      Country
      This is what a talented architect can do with them:
      [​IMG]