Three Bluetooth/iPhone 8 problems: Recommendations welcomed!

• Please post everything related to v9 (2018.39.x) into the version 9 MEGATHREAD. Please do your part to keep this site organized for everyone by looking around or doing a search BEFORE posting. Thanks

• Winter is here and the forum is starting to get flooded with cold weather threads and posts. Please heed the suggested threads and posts before you post something related to cold weather. This is a great place to start: https://model3ownersclub.com/threads/teslas-in-cold-weather.5271
  • It's OK to discuss software issues here but please report bugs to Tesla directly at servicehelpna@teslamotors.com if you want things fixed.

KenGetz

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
Three connection problems that really need fixing. I know some of these (especially the first) have come up before, but I haven't seen conclusive answers.

* Since I've owned the car (Sep 1 2018), the ability to unlock the car with my iPhone 8 has been intermittent. I can understand failing here and there, but since installing v9, it fails at least 70% of the time. What's especially infuriating is that this scenario happens, over and over: I walk up to the car, and open the passenger-side door to put something in the front seat (usually, my gym bag). It opens fine. I walk around to the driver door (it's now maybe 3 seconds later) and the car won't open. The door is locked, and the screen tells me to tap the card to open the door. If I take the phone out of my pocket, start up the Tesla app (which takes far too long) and unlock from there, all works fine. Except... see the next problem.

Why was I able to open the passenger door, but not the driver's side door? Why is this intermittent (some days it all works fine)? This behavior is not dependent on opening the passenger door, and then going to the driver door. It fails more often than not when I just walk up to the driver door, as well. Or if I open the trunk first, and then walk to the driver door. This often fails.

* (Only since v9, and this happens 100% of the time) Once I get the door unlocked, I sit down to drive, but the car won't go into reverse to leave the garage because it tells me there's no device attached (that is, it can't find my phone, even though it just let me into the car.) After about 10-15 seconds, I see the connection happen, and I can put it into reverse. I just sort of sit there twiddling my thumbs until it gets connected. Before v9, I could sit down and go. No waiting.

* (Only since v9) This never happened before v9, and started happening within minutes of finishing the v9 update. It happens daily, every single time I use my phone to "push" audio to the car using bluetooth. I listen to podcasts stored on my phone while I'm driving--I live in a rural area and streaming often doesn't work as I drive--and after a few minutes, at irregular intervals, the audio "clicks" and then stops. If I press the left steering wheel button a few times to stop and start the flow of data, it will reconnect and continue. Sometimes, two clicks does it. Sometimes, it takes four or six. Like I said, this started happening within minutes of installing v9. And never happened before that.

Any suggestions appreciated. I am quite frustrated by the behavior of this otherwise delightful car!

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
Lots of folks looked, with no responses. Who knows? In any case, after installing 42.2, it seems to be way better. Drove for hours today without any podcast dropout. So maybe they fixed whatever problem they introduced in the original version of v9.

John

Tech Founder
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Diagnosing your issues is complicated, that's why no one responded, probably. It's kind of like asking for free IT help if you know what I mean.
I have an iPhone X running iOS 12.1.1. It's 100%, I don't even think about it any more.

Here are some factors to consider:
1. Do you leave the Tesla app running?
2. Do you have a bunch of other apps also running in the background all the time, especially apps that use Bluetooth? Or do you swipe them closed every now and then? (memory matters on phones, good habit to clean them up each day)
3. How do you carry your phone? Do you use an odd cover? (I don't use a cover)
4. Do you walk around your house/apt within Bluetooth range of your car a lot? (If so, try turning off Bluetooth while you're in your house.)

There's a lot of complicated Bluetooth stuff you can search for here on this forum as early users diagnosed their problems. Might be worth reading through the tips from back then.

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
Thanks for your help. It's been markedly better since getting 42.2 installed (although today the audio dropout occurred once). It's WAY better than it was, with no changes on my part. My phone case is super thin, I don't carry it behind me, I leave the Tesla app running (although iOS does swap it out so it takes a while to reconnect with the car). I'll keep searching, and thanks.