Tint problem

• If you haven't taken delivery yet or plan on ordering you can still get the 6 months of FREE Supercharging only until December 17th all Model 3s now qualify! Call or email your Tesla delivery advisor and give them our code
  • Winter is here and the forum is starting to get flooded with cold weather threads and posts. Please heed the suggested threads and posts before you post something related to cold weather. This is a great place to start: https://model3ownersclub.com/threads/teslas-in-cold-weather.5271
Country
Country
Hi All.

I had my windows tinted a few weeks ago. Everything seems good except for a lingering bubble-like defect on the windshield. It looked initially like a small water spot a few mm in size, but annoyingly is right in my line of sight. The installer says this is because my particular windshield was one that got a tiny piece of metal imbedded in it during the welding process and that normally you wouldn’t see such a defect but the tint makes it noticeable (presumably because the tint can’t lie flat). Supposedly there’s no way to scrape off this metal fragment. They tried to make it better but it’s actually whiter and more dense appearing now. Will this improve over time? It’s been relatively cold here in Northern California and I understand that this makes bubble types of problems take longer to resolve. I’ve never heard of anyone having this sort of windshield defect, however.

Thanks!

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Never heard of that, but I'm bringing my car back for the tint job too. There are two spots that look like there are dark pebbles between the glass and tint. Maybe this is what you are describing. Besides that however, there are small bubble on almost every sheet of glass, with huge nickel sized ones on some of the edges of the roof.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I actually have the same issue but thankfully it's on my rear windshield. I first thought that it was a stray piece of lint or metal shaving. I actually had the rear tint re-done for a different reason (slight bubbling at a corner) and pointed out the defect. When I came back to pick up my car they said that it was a defect of the rear window. They tried to clean it off but could not get it out. And yes, having a darker tint makes it stand out. But since its on the rear window and pretty small, it doesn't bother me. I wish I could say the same thing about my panel gap :(