Tone when another Model 3 goes by

• Please post everything related to v9 (2018.39.x) into the version 9 MEGATHREAD. Please do your part to keep this site organized for everyone by looking around or doing a search BEFORE posting. Thanks

• It's OK to discuss software issues here but please report bugs to Tesla directly at servicehelpna@teslamotors.com if you want things fixed.

ig0p0g0

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
I've noticed that if I pass another Model 3, or if it passes me, I get a proximity warning...even with reasonable separation. I like to think the cars are saying "hi" to each other:)

I imagine what's actually happening is interference with the rangefinders, which are at the exact same height and probably identically modulated. Anyone have this experience? I wonder if it could pose an autopilot problem as more and more Model 3s are on the road.

SoFlaModel3

Team Midnight Silver
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I've noticed that if I pass another Model 3, or if it passes me, I get a proximity warning...even with reasonable separation. I like to think the cars are saying "hi" to each other:)

I imagine what's actually happening is interference with the rangefinders, which are at the exact same height and probably identically modulated. Anyone have this experience? I wonder if it could pose an autopilot problem as more and more Model 3s are on the road.
I haven’t seen enough Model 3’s on the road, so I can only draw on literally one experience where my boss and I were headed somewhere after work and each had our cars. I didn’t get any proximity alerts and we were literally right next to each other.

ig0p0g0

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
I drive Model 3 alley every day from Marin to Los Altos :) seems like about 5% of the cars on the stretch are tesla.

Maevra

Top-Contributor
Country
Country

Probably just the proximity alerts. Regarding its effect on AP, the manual does mention that AP may be affected by other objects that emit ultrasonic waves, but in practice I don’t worry about it. I’ve been driving next to enough Model 3s and other Tesla’s and it’s never been an issue.

LorieL

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

That happened to me crossing the Golden Gate Bridge. We were waving to the other Model 3 drivers when the warning chime sounded. We also thought it might be the cars saying hi. ;)

ahagge

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Interesting - I'll have to be on the lookout for that one. I wonder if the great minds at Tesla might have never thought about that scenario...