Touchscreen in sun causes AC to stop (ironic?)

• Please post everything related to v9 (2018.39.x) into the version 9 MEGATHREAD. Please do your part to keep this site organized for everyone by looking around or doing a search BEFORE posting. Thanks

• Winter is here and the forum is starting to get flooded with cold weather threads and posts. Please heed the suggested threads and posts before you post something related to cold weather. This is a great place to start: https://model3ownersclub.com/threads/teslas-in-cold-weather.5271
  • It's OK to discuss software issues here but please report bugs to Tesla directly at servicehelpna@teslamotors.com if you want things fixed.
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Model 3 LR RWD (blue) delivered Aug 14 ...

I did a cursory look and haven't seen others report this issue: screen overheats in sun, and disables AC

Twice now my AC has refused to work. In both cases, I have found the car during a time when it has been in daytime sun in a parking lot. Cabin Overheat Protection using AC is enabled. Everything else I have tried works fine -- nav, entertainment, AP, controls, etc. The climate controls are available and responsive. The app is as well. But the fan will not start. In both cases, after driving (windows open) and a few minutes parked, AC is re-enabled.

In these cases, when I have entered the car the screen has been almost too hot to touch. It's possible that this is just due to exposure to the sun on a hot day. But it seems equally as hot on the part of the touchscreen well out of direct exposure to the sun. I assume the material is aluminum, which conducts heat very well, so it's plausible that this could just be from the sun. It just seems too hot for that, even compared to other metal bits in the car, hmmmm. In any case, I assume the AC failure is a temperature lockout. It just seems odd that some other non-essential functions are working.

Actually, it's ironic. I assume that the AC could keep the touchscreen cool. I believe I have correctly configured the car to use the cabin overheat protection option, so it's hard to say why the touchscreen could ever get hot enough to trigger a temperature lockout? I guess?

Meanwhile, any good (cheap) windshield reflector options anyone recommends?

rodwed

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
A couple of suggestions: Use your app to check the inside temp to confirm that COP is working. Also, make sure you don't turn off the AC with the app because your 3 will remember that the next time you get in the car.

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Random question but do you still have the screen protector that was on the car from delivery? I was getting phantom touches on the screen before I removed it.

Diamond.g

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I wonder if cooling power is sent to the batteries initially then the cabin. A couple of times I have noticed warmer air initially in the cabin, then a huge blast of cool air when it was in the upper 90's outside.

Petra

Country
Country
The trouble I have with looking to the touch screen as a cause is that it's just a display... The electronics that drive it are located in the dash and, if I remember correctly, are part of the same liquid cooled compute assembly as the Autopilot board.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
A couple of suggestions: Use your app to check the inside temp to confirm that COP is working. Also, make sure you don't turn off the AC with the app because your 3 will remember that the next time you get in the car.
Yep, tried those. Verified COP is working (today, another hot day) and saw cabin temps under 100 until mid-afternoon when it spiked, presumably because the AC stopped working. It was not working when I drove home.

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
The trouble I have with looking to the touch screen as a cause is that it's just a display... The electronics that drive it are located in the dash and, if I remember correctly, are part of the same liquid cooled compute assembly as the Autopilot board.
Underneath where the charge ports are for your phone under the display screen, are the a/c components . There is a cool you tube video of a guy on a quest to replace the cabin air filter and he took apart that column and it’s showed all the a:c components , So they are indeed in the cabin