1. Model 3 is coming. Get your Model 3 Owners Club apparel today!

Dismiss Notice

Tow Hitch

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Granite, Apr 11, 2016.

More threads by Granite
  1. Granite

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Grass Valley, CA
    Has anyone heard anything about an optional tow hitch? If so, what is the rowing capacity supposed to be?

2. MelindaV

☰ > 3
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Vancouver, WA
    Tesla Owner:
    Reservation
    Country
    Elon confirmed on twitter a tow package will be an option, but no word on the capacity.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. Nikola

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Arizona
    Country
    It will likely be a Class 1 or 2 hitch, suitable primarily for bike racks and little garden trailers. Although the electric motors have plenty of torque for pulling, there will be a significant impact on range when towing a cargo or travel trailer due to aerodynamic resistance. Also, this is a passenger car rather than an SUV, so tow capacity isn't as critical to sales. I'd guess Tesla limits it to 2,000 lb max tow rating, comparable to Subaru.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Gary Macdonald

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Ontario Canada
    I was wondering about this. I run my own business teaching all levels of first aid up to Emergency Medical Responder level. I just saw the picture of the Model 3 trunk. There is no way I can fit all my stuff in there! I wish I could justify and afford a Model X, but I can't. A small trailer seems to be the way to go.

5. Frits

Expand Collapse

IT Consultant
    City & State/Province:
    NETHERLANDS
    Would the Tesla Model 3 be capable of towing a small caravan of 1250kg?

• Like Like x 1
  6. Fro3

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Providence, RI
    Country
    Has there been any updates on tow hitch options for the M3 since Elon tweeted that there would in fact be one about a year ago? Concerned because based on all the photos I am seeing, I cannot discern any seems in the rear fender/bumper where there would be a cutout for a tow hitch. Many automakers have a removable plastic piece near the bottom middle of the rear fender. It is possible it could be underneath the very bottom of the fender, but that would seem to offer very little clearance. Most well lit picture I could find is attached.

I am really hoping there is a tow hitch option (even if it can't tow much weight) so I can use a hitch based bike rack. Much easier to get bikes on and off and potentially more aero. Also a hitch rack can be removed much quicker and easier than a roof rack. And before someone mentions the Seasucker, it is a great product but in addition to my lightweight road bike I have an ebike which is nearly 50 pounds so roof racks and Seasuckers are not ideal in this case. Thanks!!

M3 rear.jpg

7. 3Victoria

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Victoria
    I'd love to be able to pull my sailing dinghy. This is just short distances, from the house to the seaside, so less than 2 miles.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. kendthomp

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Aurora, CO
    Tesla Owner:
    Reservation
    Country
    I'm interested in pulling a single rail motorcycle trailer so the weight wouldn't be too heavy. My Mini Cooper S is capable of this task with no issues.

9. MichelT3

Top-Contributor
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Steenderen, Netherlands
    Tesla Owner:
    Reservation
    Country
    For me also (and many other people here in The Netherlands) a towing possibility would be something very much wanted. I think that in my country 75 % of all cars in this category have a tow hitch with a braked pulling capacity of at least 1000 kg (preferably 1500).

All to be revealed, I expect, on July 28, or sometime later.

• Agree Agree x 3
  10. arnis

Top-Contributor
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    near Tallinn
    Country
    In Europe, no car is allowed to tow more than 750kg (trailer without brakes) and usually no more than the the weight of the car itself with brakes.
    Mostly people tow regular stuff like sofa or fridge. Huge boats and horses are rare. And not appropriate for small passenger vehicle anyway.

Most likely Class 2 towing hitch (US rating). 3500lbs=1580kg
    As we know Tesla is trying to be around BMW 3-series competition, it shall tow around the same. 1500-1800kg (depending on engine variant). 1500kg for low power engines, 1800kg for mid power. And 1800 for high performance models as it is not just about acceleration.
    EU has 3500kg limit for the whole train. I'm pretty convinced that Tesla is aiming at fulfilling that 3500kg train limit.
    It's cheap. Less legal hassle. Less money wasted on improved friction brake requirements (regen is not taken into account for this calculation). And very very few drivers are allowed to tow any more.

Are there license limitations in US as well?

11. garsh

Dis Member
    Moderator M3OC Supporting Member
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Pittsburgh PA
    Country
    We tow those too.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  12. ahagge

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Northridge, CA
    Country
    I for one haven't seen a word since Elon's tweet last year. I'm certainly hoping that it will be a Class 1/2 affair - I want to pull a teardrop on occasion - and hopefully can be installed by a service center after purchase (and thus not be one of the "< 100 options" in the initial run). I'm guessing that there may be some cutting of the rear air splitter that's required (though I hope they add a removable cutout).

But as you say, it's all speculation at this point. Hopefully this will be part of the July 28th reveal...

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. ratsbew

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Burlington, Iowa
    Country
    I REALLY want to tow with my Model 3. I have no desire to ever own a pickup truck, but do have the need to haul stuff from time to time. I want to buy a utility trailer for those occasions where I need to haul lumber or other bulky items.

• Agree Agree x 3
  14. mig

mig
    M3OC Supporting Member
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    California
    Country
    Anyone seen any mention of how a hitch might work on the M3 since the delivery event?

I use a hitch rack for bikes, and my bike is way more important to me than a car, since it fills me with joy and happiness and not frustration and woe.

I have an i3 now with no good solution for bike racks and I don't want to be in that situation again please.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. MichelT3

Top-Contributor
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Steenderen, Netherlands
    Tesla Owner:
    Reservation
    Country
    ADDITION 1: Must be 750 and 1500 kg. @arnis is right. Preferably a capacity of 1500 kg is desired.

ADDITION 2: Sadly no news on July 28, apart from the fact that it's probably an option after delivery of the car.

16. TrevP

M3OC Founder / Administrator
    Founder M3OC Supporting Member
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Aurora,Ontario
    Tesla Owner:
    Reservation
    Country

• Like Like x 4
    • Love it! Love it! x 3
  17. MelindaV

☰ > 3
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Vancouver, WA
    Tesla Owner:
    Reservation
    Country
    I think the square bag in the photo (looks much shallow than the tow hitch case) is the roadside emergency kit. are they still including those with the S/X? or maybe a case of the tire inflater?

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. arnis

Top-Contributor
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    near Tallinn
    Country
    Now we know Model 3 Kerb weights: 1610kg and 1730kg appropriately. Likely payload around 450kg. Therefore gross vehicle mass around 2050-2200kg Later AWD will add 50-100kg. Gross Train Weight limitation with normal driving licence in EU is 3500kg (3900kg in US?), reasonable maximum would be 1500kg. That should be enough for pretty much everybody. But I'm not sure that RWD Model 3's will support OEM towing.
    It is actually quite problematic. On the surface, it looks like piece of cake. But it is not.
    Maximum nominal motor power for RWD Model 3 is likely less than 100kW. It's too easy to surpass thermal limit with a trailer going up&down all the time (Norway for example).
    And this is why RWD Model 3 has top speed below 155mph. It can't handle that with one compact drivetrain.
    155mph requires at least 150kW of constant power. With 20% losses that's 30kW of heat. Can't be extracted with 3/4" plumbing.

Leaf can handle 145km/h /90mph for 30 minutes (around 40-45kW load nominal), but inverter gets up to 70*C, within a minute. My guess is that 85*C is the maximum, any EV., including Tesla.

PS, Chevy Bolt peak power is almost twice of Leafs (150kW vs 80kW) but top speed is exactly the same.
    I guess coolant pump/water hoses are more-or-less the same.
    Model 3 is more capable than Leaf/Bolt (as top speed is 140mph, which is much more than 90mph, in terms of nominal power).

19. Brokedoc

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    New York
    Country
    I can confirm that this is the tow hitch case. I just installed my tow hitch this AM on the MX so I pulled the case out. The hitch mounts from underneath so you do not see the cutout. Even though the case is similar, I really doubt the hitch is Class III like the MX.

There is no roadside emergency kit included. No spare. No runflat can. You can buy an portable tire inflator with a can of runflat glue but Tesla's official policy is "Call Roadside Assistance if you get a flat."

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  20. KennethK

Top-Contributor
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Michigan
    Country
    Oh, I thought they came with a tire inflator. Glad I bought the Viair 88P from Amazon when it went on sale . This gives more credence to the fact that the bag is for a tow hitch... Very interesting