tpms syncing and buying parts

/billy

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I'm wondering if tesla model s will auto sync in settings menu to new TPMS sensors that I buy from tirerack.com or if I have to pay to sync them to the car at tesla service center?

And any updates for Tesla to allow owners to buy parts?

JWardell

Legendary Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Every car I have ever driven has a button or item in the menu to sync to new TPMS sensors. If it's a button you hold it down for 20 seconds if the light comes on. In the menus there will be a TPMS reset. Assuming tires are inflated reasonably, after resetting the light will go off once you have driven a few miles and it is communicating.
Of course it is important that you get the right type of TPMS sensor to begin with...tire rack lists this standard 433MHz sensor as being compatible with Tesla

JWardell

Legendary Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Neither my Nissan nor my Honda have such a thing.
Do they have wireless TPMS sensors in the valve stems or do they just use the anti-lock sensors to detect differences in rotation? What happens when you put on new rims?

garsh

Dis Member
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
They both have wireless TPMS sensors in the wheels.

If I put on new rims (or replace a sensor), the car has to be "programmed" to recognize the new sensor(s). Normally, this involves a trip to a garage that has the necessary equipment.

For my Nissan Leaf, I actually have a phone app that connects to a bluetooth OBD dongle and can be used to reset the TPMS settings. That's what I use, but it's a bit of a convoluted process, as you can see below.