Trailer Hitch, Roof Rack

Urs

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Any news about a trailer hitch and/or roof rack on Model 3?
Is anybody working on an unofficial (non Tesla) hitch?

Country
Country
I'm on the waiting list for Torklift's Model 3 hitch. No timeline yet, but I'll follow up once I get it (and a car to put it on).

Michael Russo

MSM Team Founding Father, Red Dragon rider
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country

MichelT3

Top-Contributor
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
Thank you.
Though I'm not very much interested in carrying bikes, but in being able to tow a cart/trailer.
Also the problem with a hitch is not the hitch itself - I imagine you can make an attachment - but the (in my country) obligatory electrical connection to attach trailer lights or lights on a hitch bar to the electrical system of the car.
As I just explained here https://model3ownersclub.com/thread...would-you-like-to-see.4845/page-16#post-71280

Urs

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
When we got our Model 3 delivered - a few days ago - I asked about the roof rack. According to the delivery person there is provisions for a rack and Tesla supposedly will have a rack "soon" :) . - Whatever that means. But no trailer hitch so far. :confused:

Oregonian

Country
Country
Any news about a trailer hitch and/or roof rack on Model 3?
Is anybody working on an unofficial (non Tesla) hitch?

My guess is that Tesla will have an official trailer hitch option for the AWD/SAS when it's released.

TheTony

It happened.
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Add me to the watch list for the roof rack. Given that I'm definitely interested in that, it would be nice to find out sooner, rather than later if support for one is contingent on a specific trim level (ie the PUP glass roof, for example).

Not so much interested in the hitch, but still hoping the folks who want one get a solution for that. My only concern with an aftermarket solution for a hitch (were I looking for one) would be the effect on Tesla's warranty.

Urs

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Bad news: Talked to a service manager about the roof rack. He actually checked with Tesla (don't know exactly with whom) and he came back saying that Tesla decided not to make a rack for Model 3 ever. He also suggested that there will be aftermarket racks made eventually.
OK - I need a rack - who is going to make one? :)

Maevra

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Bad news: Talked to a service manager about the roof rack. He actually checked with Tesla (don't know exactly with whom) and he came back saying that Tesla decided not to make a rack for Model 3 ever. He also suggested that there will be aftermarket racks made eventually.
OK - I need a rack - who is going to make one? :)
Hmm let’s still file this as “speculation”. Employee/insider info has been wrong before.

GTV6

Country
Country
My clear recollection is that there are clearly mounting points on the glass roof for a rack but that the manual indicates a 'non-Tesla approved' rack was a challenge to the warranty coverage. Assuming recently delivered 3's still have those points visible under the weather stripping on the glass, it's difficult to believe that Yakima and Thule won't have crossbars available ASAP. Hope their US distributors will facilitate measurements so this is sooner than later. Any 3 owner looked for these points?

Urs

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
@GTV6
These little arrows are clearly etched into the roof glass on my 3. Although I can't make out anything else that would indicate any mounting points for a roof rack. It looks like there would have to be some drilling done.

GTV6

Country
Country
@GTV6
These little arrows are clearly etched into the roof glass on my 3. Although I can't make out anything else that would indicate any mounting points for a roof rack. It looks like there would have to be some drilling done.
Thanks, Urs. In the pictures I saw last summer (?) the arrows point to slots in the edge of the glass and were hidden from sight unless you pulled back the gasket. The continued existence of the arrows suggests to me they must still be there because why leave the arrows but remove the slots?

Last edited:

Urs

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Got this from Yakima:
"The Model 3 is still under going evaluation. Because it has not moved from evaluation into the development phase I'm unable to provide a specific ETA as when it will be available for purchase. Typical timelines are between 6 and 12 months once we move to the development phase." :eek:
Thanks, Urs. In the pictures I saw last summer (?) the arrows point to slots in the edge of the glass and were hidden from sight unless you pulled back the gasket. The continued existence of the arrows suggests to me they must still be there because why leave the arrows but remove the slots?
According to the Service Rep in Rocklin, the provisions for the rack are there, but Tesla won't make or sell a rack. :(

Urs

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Good news - I got a rack :)
Rack N Road in Sacramento installed a roof rack for me today. Riveted some mounting pads to the roof and mounted the rack to those. The rack is fully removable, leaving the small (3/4" x 3") pads on the roof. IMG_20180221_132341459.jpg IMG_20180221_132649581.jpg

GTV6

Country
Country
Good news - I got a rack :)
Rack N Road in Sacramento installed a roof rack for me today. Riveted some mounting pads to the roof and mounted the rack to those. The rack is fully removable, leaving the small (3/4" x 3") pads on the roof. View attachment 5859 View attachment 5860
Congratulations! A global first outside of Tesla??
Riveted? Yikes. Can you provide close-ups and details? Thanks.

DNR

Tesla Owner
No
Country
Country
Rivets? I hope they sealed the holes well.
I'm scared of putting bikes on the roof. I know that eventually I'll drive under something too low. Would probably cause $10k+ damage to a Model 3.
Are hitch mounted racks more aerodynamic? Seems like they would be.

Urs

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Congratulations! A global first outside of Tesla??
Riveted? Yikes. Can you provide close-ups and details? Thanks.
Tesla would probably not like this, but it seems to work just fine. For close-ups give me a day or two, I'll try.