1. Tesla Model 3 apparel now available!

Dismiss Notice

U.S. Charging Infrastructure installation Tax Credit

Discussion in 'Charging and Infrastructure' started by garsh, May 3, 2016.

More threads by garsh
  1. garsh

Dis Member
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Pittsburgh PA
    Country
    References:
    2015 IRS Form 8911
    Instructions for 2015 IRS Form 8911

There's a tax credit for 1/3 of the price when installing "refueling property". It expires at the end of 2016.

I think my only plan will be to install a 240v NEMA 14-50 outlet in my garage, and plan to use the mobile connector that comes with the Tesla. Is installation of such an outlet enough to qualify for the tax credit?

2. MelindaV

☰ > 3
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Vancouver, WA
    Country
    Yes.
    Also some states have a similar sales tax exemption, so check if yours does and make sure your electrician is aware the outlet is for recharging and familiar with the exemption (if your state offers one).
    As backup for the fed credit, it's probably a good idea to have the receipt specify 'outlet for ev recharging' or something along those lines.
    If you decide to get an extra cord or the WC from tesla, that would be included in this as well.

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. Skione65

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Kentucky
    Country
    What is everyone's opinion on whether or not the Infrastructure Rebate that expires in December will be 'extended' or not? I'm trying to decide whether or not to have my electrician install the HPWC this year or 'gamble' on there being an extension into 2017.

@MelindaV,

Did you decide to install or wait as well? :)

On a side note is there any way to find out if Congress is even considering extending this, or if it is 'in the works' in D.C.?

Ski

4. MelindaV

☰ > 3
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Vancouver, WA
    Country
    @Skione65 When I went into the Tesla store this weekend, in talking to the guy there, he talked me out of a WC or a spare UMC and suggested to just stick with installing the outlet and using the UMC that comes with the car. So, that brought the install cost down by $500ish.
    So will probably go with just the 14-50 outlet.
    Ironically, just after the beginning of the year, I had an electrician install a new outlet in my garage. When the installer was there he asked if I was getting an EV. If I was thinking then, I should have had the 14-50 done then :mad: The outlet that I did have installed is a 30A 110V, so technically, I would be fine just using that outlet since my commute is just over 30miles RT, but would rather jump up to the 220V so I don't need to have it plugged in the entire time I am home.

and probably will do that sometime this year... I've not heard anything about the credit being extended.

5. AEDennis

Top-Contributor
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Southern California, Most of the time...
    Country
    So, as far as the charger install credit, @Skione65 and @MelindaV, the credit has already been extended before. So, it could get extended.

Then again, it depends on who is "in charge" both in Congress and the White House.

6. MelindaV

☰ > 3
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Vancouver, WA
    Country
    Today is a primary day for both @Skione65's Kentucky and my Oregon*!
    *so living in WA, they don't let me vote in OR, but I still claim it as 'my' state, especially when having to pay OR income taxes and never expecting to have to pay sales tax or pump my own gas - wait! that one is short lived no matter which side of the state border I am on.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Skione65

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Kentucky
    Country
    @MelindaV,

(Members....PLEASE......let's not get into Political preferences/affiliations in this thread....I know politics is VERY personal to everyone and can get quite heated. :). Thank you!!!) With that out of the way.....Yes it was. Wow....what a squeaker.....Hillary literally squeaked by with 46.8% of the votes to Bernies 46.3%....less than 5/10ths of a percent. The numbers were about 2,000 votes out of almost a quarter million....212,000 vs. 210,000....I think Bernie took your home state in Oregon.

On another note, why did the SC guy talk you out of a HPWC? What was his reasoning? Only reason I could see is if you were anticipating getting 'other' branded EVs. That way a straight outlet would be better and universal. I'm still leaning towards the HPWC.....

Still trying to figure out if there's a way to find out if It's even on Congress's radar entertain the idea of an extension....maybe I'll contact my representatives and test the waters......I DO hope they extend....that way I can take that credit in 2017 and the Model 3 if I'm eligible in 2018. Still don't know if I'll install this year or next......it's a gamble..... :)

Ski

8. AEDennis

Top-Contributor
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Country
    @Skione65 and @MelindaV

Most people do not need to recover at 58 miles per hour (or whatever the maximum is on 72A now that the S and X have a new charger) when they are re-charging at home for their next drive.the 25 or so miles per hour that a UMC provides is more than adequate for most applications.

That's one of the main reasons most folks don't need to install an HPWC. Besides, the wiring costs for the unit can get pricey depending on the length between the panel and HPWC.

9. Skione65

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Kentucky
    Country

@AEDennis,

Well said....however with the upgraded battery I'll be getting and my commute round trip on a single charge being close to 200 miles that would take 8-10 hours to charge....I'd rather have the higher charge rate and be able to charge in 4-5 hours. With that said....I do still need to get the appropriate estimates from the Tesla Certified Electrician on both a 240V NEMA 14-50 outlet and just using the UMC and the Tesla HPWC and see the price difference on 'installation'. I know right now the Tesla HPWC is $550 itself.

Ski

10. AEDennis

Top-Contributor
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Country
    I used to commute 100 miles roundtrip and a NEMA 14-50 was fine. At 200 miles, I would install an HPWC or Clipper Creek CS-100 or any other EVSE that would supply power at the highest rates. At the time that I had to make this decision, I pivoted to the NEMA 14-50 because I found out that the cost for the wiring alone was going to be prohibitive and the lower gauge cable on the NEMA 14-50 was much more affordable (so much so that I installed 2 more locations with that wire.)

• Like Like x 1
  11. MelindaV

☰ > 3
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Vancouver, WA
    Country
    @Skione65 - the reasoning from the Tesla store guy was essentially what @AEDennis listed... He said it is extremely rare any of the S/X buyers at their location buy either a WC or an extra UMC. On the WC I mentioned to him if I were to go with it I would wait to have it wired up to see if the Model 3 would have the dual charger option and if it should have a larger than 50A wiring. He also pointed out, that most everyone's existing electrical panel can handle the extra 50A circuit, but going above that is often not an option without upgrading the panel.
    I'm in a relatively new house that I know can have the 50A added, but would need to have an electrician evaluate anything beyond that.

Also beyond the fed connector credit, check w your state and power company. You may have some options for rebates/credits from them too.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Skione65

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Kentucky
    Country
    @MelindaV,

Well.....I'm interested as well to see if the Model 3 will have a dual charger option as well. I initially thought so but now that the dual charger is not available on the S and X (it's now a 72A 'Software Upgrade') as opposed to the dual charger hardware maybe the 3 will have the latter available as well!

I don't believe there's anything available from either our state or local power company....I've checked on their site.....nada......but I'll look further into it. Guess my state isn't as 'green' as they claim to be/should be. :( It was quite a disappointment on initial research.

As far as the HPWC is concerned it would have to be a 'significant' price differential between the two to not go with the higher.....but based on @AEDennis comment it may just be that. We'll have to see. There's only one company locally in my region that's even certified by Tesla to do the installations. When I do get him out for estimates on both Ill query him as well as to what most in the area are installing/have installed.

Ski

13. Skione65

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Kentucky
    Country
    @AEDennis,

Thanks my friend....Ill look into the Clipper Creek as well.....and these are my thoughts exactly on installing the higher rate charger. Hopefully the higher gauge wire for the HPWC is not so prohibitive in cost.

Ski

14. Curtis Ruder

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    San Antonio
    My electric panel is full and cannot handle an additional 50 amp wiring. Do you (or anyone else here) have an idea about how much increasing the panel and installing a NEWA 14-50 is going to set me back?

15. MelindaV

☰ > 3
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Vancouver, WA
    Country
    It will really depend on where your power transformer is, if you are in a neighborhood, etc. I would expect you would need to have an added 100A panel installed with the added supply from the transformer, potentially requiring an updated meter as well. Call a local electrician and have them provide a quote. They should without obligation to the work.
    Depending on your typical daily mileage, maybe it would make sense to go with one of the lower amp options. like if you drive less than 50miles per day, a 110V NEMA 5-20 may be workable with 50 mile charged over about 9 hours

• Like Like x 1
  16. AEDennis

Top-Contributor
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Country
    The new panel and getting your utility to increase the feed is pricey (at least in Southern California). I combined the expansion of our original main from 100A to 200A when we added Solar Panels on the roof. (which we've just celebrated our 4th year on.)

17. Badback

Valued Community Member
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Prior Lake, MN
    Country
    Are you sure that your panel is full? Do you see any knockout plates at the top or bottom of the rows of circuit breakers?
    If you do, then you have additional space in the panel. You will need two adjacent spaces for a 230V breaker. If you are unsure about this, ask an electrician. It would be very unusual for the panel to be full unless your house underwent extensive remodeling and additions.

If it really is full, some circuits can usually be combined to create space. Often additional breakers are put in for convenience, not necessity.
    For instance, having a separate breaker for each bedroom or bath is not usually necessary unless you heavy loads on those circuits, like a window air conditioner or a Jacuzzi.

You will need usually have to pay an electrician for a service call to get these questions answered.

18. Cali Desert Driver

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    California desert
    We are installing solar panels and had to upgrade the electrical panel since its from '79. With that said it was an easy matter to have my electrician install the 14-50 in my preferred location and he even surprised me with the the wiring he used is compatible with the HPWC if I choose to go that way later. We would only have to change the breakers and install the HPWC if I choose to upgrade.

I'll make that decision after seeing if the 14-50 is sufficient for my needs.

19. AEDennis

Top-Contributor
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Country
    I have found the 14-50 to be sufficient for most of my needs and I actually charge the S on an even LOWER speed (30A) because I've been using my oldest EVSE, a Chargepoint CT-500. (Here's my thread on my blogpost about this.)

• Like Like x 1
  20. RedModel3

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Tennessee, United States
    Hi all, just joined when I found this site researching this very topic. I'm getting a used Volt tomorrow to tide me over until my M3 comes, and I've been pondering what to do about the charging situation, as I have to upgrade no matter what I do. Anyway, for those of you thinking of waiting until next year to install EVSE, it seems from everything I've found that you should do it this year. The problem is that if you try to take the $7500 credit AND the EVSE credit in the same year, it doesn't work. So, to maximize your tax savings, you should go ahead and install the charging equipment now, and then take the other credit when you get the car.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1