1. Tesla Model 3 apparel now available!

Dismiss Notice

UAW seeks to unionize Fremont factory, Tesla responds ‘changing the world is not a 9 to 5 job’

Discussion in 'News from Electrek.co' started by RSSFeed, May 22, 2016.

More threads by RSSFeed
  1. RSSFeed

M3OC RSS Bot
    Expand Collapse

[​IMG]

Tesla’s factory in Fremont is the only U.S. car assembly plant owned by an American automaker that is not represented by a union, but that’s just one of many things Tesla does unlike any other American (or otherwise) automaker.

Following the announcement of Tesla’s updated plans to increase its annual vehicle production at the factory to 500,000 cars by 2018 – 2 years earlier than previously planned, the United Auto Workers (UAW) expressed interest in unionizing Tesla’s workforce at the factory. One could look at the move as being opportunistic by the UAW to significantly increase its numbers or as a move to help protect workers it perceives being exploited by Tesla’s ever-expanding needs.

UAW President Dennis Williams said that up until now, the union was respecting Tesla’s startup status, but the new production rate would quickly make the electric automaker one of the largest car manufacturer in the nation and bigger than more established luxury automakers like BMW and Mercedes.

Williams is right that Tesla plans to quickly become as big as other automakers, but does higher volume alone justify the implementation of a union? more…

Filed under: Cars, Tesla Tagged: Dearborn, Detroit, Michigan, Tesla, Tesla Factory, Tesla salary, tesla work condition, United Auto Workers [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG]

Continue reading...

2. Topher

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Maine
    I note that they aren't asking the WORKERS! That tells me all I need to know about the union's goals.

Thank you kindly.

3. Gary Moore

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Mountain House, CA
    In Germany, another form of worker-management relationship prevails. German factories in America favor that approach; the UAW, not-so-much.

The only Toyota plant in the United States which has had UAW workers employed inside was the very one which is now being used to build the current Tesla vehicles.

It's wiser for all concerned to volunteer to walk that proverbial mile in the other party's shoes, but humans are oft well-noted for being bullheaded enough to necessitate intermediaries. Point of view does not mean that the other side needs an optometrist or a psych nurse, and divorce lawyers do have to pay for their motor vehicles. Who's buying?

Things look differently, based simply upon where you stand. A word to the wise is sufficient. Any others either will somehow learn the hard way or never learn at all.

4. Badback

Valued Community Member
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Prior Lake, MN
    Country
    I have never been impressed by any cars made by UAW workers. My ex brother in law was a UAW worker. He used to brag about how he would intentionally mess up every car that he touched on the assembly line. I guess that he cemented my opinion.

5. SpdBug

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Spencer, ok
    Topher, the union has to let management know their intentions, no sneaky business. Plus it's the workers who have to vote on it. If the vote fails then there's a certain amount of time that no other union can go in and try to unionize.

Badback, That's management not doing it's job, and another reason why I'll never buy a Big 3 vehicle, GM especially. When they stop trying to kill their customers I might think about it.

Friend of mine's husband used to work for GM back in 2007 and I got to talk to him about the time he was there a couple weeks ago. It was bad, really bad. People didn't know if they were going to have jobs at the end of each day and they were firing people left and right. He brought up a couple warranty repairs that would have cost nothing to fix and almost got fired for finding the problem. That wasn't a union problem, that was management leading the way in cutting corners.

6. Badback

Valued Community Member
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Prior Lake, MN
    Country
    Nuf said.

7. SpdBug

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Spencer, ok
    You might enjoy this exchange.

I was talking to my friend who lived in Michigan in 2009 about the new Prius I bought. She was all upset because I didn't buy an American made car, her husband was still working at GM at the time. Somewhere abouts in 2005 she came down to San Diego to visit and could help but talk about him and the work he was doing. They had developed a Corvette engine that got 60mpg. At the time it seemed promising and a little far fetched so I just let it go. I reminded her of this story she told and asked where that motor is now? Probably on a shelf somewhere because GM didn't want to release it. Then I told her if GM sold a Corvette getting 60mpg then I would be driving a Vette right now instead of a Prius, she got quiet. I confirmed this story when I talked to him a couple weeks ago. Seemed there was some nondisclosure questions I was asking but I got the feeling they were beyond that shortly after. No telling what their R/D is cooking up today. He quit in 2009 and is much happier now.

8. Gary Moore

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Mountain House, CA
    In labor relations, as in other relationships, it takes two to tango. Management cannot guarantee the economy won't crash. Workers won't benefit by making the customers (who fund the income) become dissatisfied. Meanwhile, the game of debating whose end of the boat the holes are in generally risks the boat sinking, with all hands lost at sea. Plug the holes. For every horror story of one flavor, there is an equal and opposite horror story of another flavor.

Ultimately, it's like the character Bob McKenzie asks in the 1983 movie, Strange Brew: "Are you a good mutant or a bad mutant?"

(The fact that you're being called a "mutant" by people is not the central, relevant point of sorting things out.)

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Gary Moore

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Mountain House, CA
    It's more than likely even stranger that you may think. Even Adam Smith did not wholly trust that "unseen hand" of economics of which he so famously wrote.

Similar stories within the genre of the mass-mileage-engine are often a result of unintended consequences that get so insanely entangled that they never could be unraveled to potential public comprehension, even if all of the nondisclosure agreements were to be magically vaporized.

Once you paint yourself into a corner, you then fully realize that there is much more at stake in the game than how pretty you sincerely intended to make the basement floor at the outset.

Companies discover that they may not (in fact) be the puppet masters, but that they themselves are only futilely tied-up marionettes in another, bigger drama.

It's like the old joke about a farmer who had been asked for directions by a traveler. He confidently rambles through many failed possible ways to help the inquiring traveler reach her destination, only to come to his ultimate conclusion: "I'm sorry, ma'am. You can't get there from here!!!"