Uh oh... Problem with aftermarket wheels for Performance with Brake Upgrade

Discussion in 'Customizing & Modifications' started by garsh, Sep 5, 2018.

1. garsh

Dis Member
    Moderator M3OC Supporting Member
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    It looks like those of us who want aftermarket wheels for our Performance with Performance Upgrades are going to either need specially-machined wheels, or small spacers. @Mad Hungarian , thoughts?

• Informative Informative x 3
  2. Sandy

One obsession to the next
    M3OC Supporting Member
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Reservation
    Country
    Thats an issue for sure. I'm personally not a fan of spacers (or centering rings). It will be interesting to see different solutions. As an aside thats also an interesting way to mate the 2 piece hat and rotor. Just like a splined shaft.

3. ppower

Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    It is strange that they did this. Seems the easiest is to just have a center bore of 69.7mm or greater and use hub centric rings as needed.

4. M3P

M3P
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    Guess I'll just stick to powder coating for now

5. crmatson

Expand Collapse

Country
    Hoping the T-Sportsline wheels work.
    They say they do and have videos online showing 18" on the the P3D+

6. 1russianguy

Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    Has anyone installed hubcentric aftermarket wheels on the AWD Performance Model with performance upgrade?

Someone posted on a facebook group that in addition to the main hub that protrudes 64.1mm, there's a 3mm lip right at the rotor hat that will not allow the wheel to sit flush unless it's machined similar to the 20" stock wheel. Apparently this applies to ONLY the Model 3 Performance with performance upgrade package. All others are fine.

I'm about to order 20" VMR wheels custom bored to 64.1mm and would not be a happy camper if my new wheels do
    not fit correctly. Thanks in advance for your feedback.

IMG_0778.JPG

7. 1russianguy

Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    I'm currently communicating with Tim (from Stance wheels) and Rick (from wheelwarehouse.com) on purchasing a 20" wheel/tire package for my ride.. they're well aware of this "3mm nuance", have done several of these vehicles so far, and will make sure the wheels have a correct hubcentric fit.

Wheel/Tire Specs:
    Stance SF03, 20x9 +32 offset all around, with stock bore +3mm lip
    Wheel weighs 24 lbs, Made in Taiiwan as a rotary flow forged technique, meets JWL, VIA standards
    Continental DWs-06 tires, 245/35/20

Stance SF03.jpg Stance SF03 on car.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  8. GetYourWheels

M3OC Sponsor Vendor
    Expand Collapse

Country
    Let me know if we can help you. Tim is a personal friend of mine from our early days. As for the 3mm lip for the step in the hub center, we have already found a solution for owners looking for aftermarket wheels with hub centric abilities.

If any Performance Upgrade owners are wondering about aftermarket wheels, we added a chamfer on the center bore of the wheels to accommodate the step on the cars hub. This was done and ordered on a Stance wheel but can be ordered like this from Vertini, Avant Garde and VS Forged. Other aftermarket wheels that come hub centric will need to be machined out for the step. Any other aftermarket wheels that require hub rings, we'll have to look into a solution for a specialized hub ring.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
Model 3 Owners Club © 2018. All rights reserved.
Model 3 Owners Club (M3OC) is an enthusiast club and is not affiliated with Tesla Motors or the Tesla Motors Club Forum (TMC).
All Tesla logos are trademarks or registered trademarks of Tesla Motors.