Uh oh... Problem with aftermarket wheels for Performance with Brake Upgrade

garsh

Dis Member
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
It looks like those of us who want aftermarket wheels for our Performance with Performance Upgrades are going to either need specially-machined wheels, or small spacers. @Mad Hungarian , thoughts?

PSA: Not sure if this has been mentioned here but the Performance brakes apparently have thinner hats (to save weight?), and therefore create a ~2-3mm lip ring (69.5mm diameter) around the center bore (picture of mine below).

Long story short: I noticed this issue about a month ago as soon as I removed the stock 20's to mount my aftermarket 19's. So I tried 5mm spacers to clear the lip, but only got 7 turns of lug nut thread engagement with my wheels (drove on those for about a week, but it made me nervous), so I ordered 3mm spacers and now get roughly 9 turns (13.5mm) of engagement, and they have been working fine the past few weeks.

The stock 20's have a machined ring and +35 offset to clearly accommodate for this, but a few less observant people have tried mounting aftermarket wheels and had severe vibration (and safety issues!) because the wheels were not flush against the hub, so please be careful.

The last photo below shows the initial 5mm spacer I tried before swapping for 3mm.

Sandy

One obsession to the next
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Thats an issue for sure. I'm personally not a fan of spacers (or centering rings). It will be interesting to see different solutions. As an aside thats also an interesting way to mate the 2 piece hat and rotor. Just like a splined shaft.

ppower

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
It is strange that they did this. Seems the easiest is to just have a center bore of 69.7mm or greater and use hub centric rings as needed.

crmatson

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Hoping the T-Sportsline wheels work.
They say they do and have videos online showing 18" on the the P3D+

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Has anyone installed hubcentric aftermarket wheels on the AWD Performance Model with performance upgrade?

Someone posted on a facebook group that in addition to the main hub that protrudes 64.1mm, there's a 3mm lip right at the rotor hat that will not allow the wheel to sit flush unless it's machined similar to the 20" stock wheel. Apparently this applies to ONLY the Model 3 Performance with performance upgrade package. All others are fine.

I'm about to order 20" VMR wheels custom bored to 64.1mm and would not be a happy camper if my new wheels do
not fit correctly. Thanks in advance for your feedback.

IMG_0778.JPG

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I'm currently communicating with Tim (from Stance wheels) and Rick (from wheelwarehouse.com) on purchasing a 20" wheel/tire package for my ride.. they're well aware of this "3mm nuance", have done several of these vehicles so far, and will make sure the wheels have a correct hubcentric fit.

Wheel/Tire Specs:
Stance SF03, 20x9 +32 offset all around, with stock bore +3mm lip
Wheel weighs 24 lbs, Made in Taiiwan as a rotary flow forged technique, meets JWL, VIA standards
Continental DWs-06 tires, 245/35/20

Stance SF03.jpg Stance SF03 on car.jpg

GetYourWheels

M3OC Sponsor Vendor
Country
Country
I'm currently communicating with Tim (from Stance wheels) and Rick (from wheelwarehouse.com) on purchasing a 20" wheel/tire package for my ride.. they're well aware of this "3mm nuance", have done several of these vehicles so far, and will make sure the wheels have a correct hubcentric fit.

Wheel/Tire Specs:
Stance SF03, 20x9 +32 offset all around, with stock bore +3mm lip
Wheel weighs 24 lbs, Made in Taiiwan as a rotary flow forged technique, meets JWL, VIA standards
Continental DWs-06 tires, 245/35/20

View attachment 14496 View attachment 14498
Let me know if we can help you. Tim is a personal friend of mine from our early days. As for the 3mm lip for the step in the hub center, we have already found a solution for owners looking for aftermarket wheels with hub centric abilities.

If any Performance Upgrade owners are wondering about aftermarket wheels, we added a chamfer on the center bore of the wheels to accommodate the step on the cars hub. This was done and ordered on a Stance wheel but can be ordered like this from Vertini, Avant Garde and VS Forged. Other aftermarket wheels that come hub centric will need to be machined out for the step. Any other aftermarket wheels that require hub rings, we'll have to look into a solution for a specialized hub ring.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Let me know if we can help you. Tim is a personal friend of mine from our early days. As for the 3mm lip for the step in the hub center, we have already found a solution for owners looking for aftermarket wheels with hub centric abilities.

If any Performance Upgrade owners are wondering about aftermarket wheels, we added a chamfer on the center bore of the wheels to accommodate the step on the cars hub. This was done and ordered on a Stance wheel but can be ordered like this from Vertini, Avant Garde and VS Forged. Other aftermarket wheels that come hub centric will need to be machined out for the step. Any other aftermarket wheels that require hub rings, we'll have to look into a solution for a specialized hub ring.

Hi Josh,

Comparing the Stance SF03 and the Avant Garde M610 rotary forged.. aesthetics aside, are they about the same in terms of quality? My main concern is strength and weight of the wheel. I know the stance wheel (20x9) is about 24 lbs, what about the Avante Garde? thanks in advance.

GetYourWheels

M3OC Sponsor Vendor
Country
Country
Hi Josh,

Comparing the Stance SF03 and the Avant Garde M610 rotary forged.. aesthetics aside, are they about the same in terms of quality? My main concern is strength and weight of the wheel. I know the stance wheel (20x9) is about 24 lbs, what about the Avante Garde? thanks in advance.
they are the same in terms of quality and the M610 will come out to same weight.

GetYourWheels

M3OC Sponsor Vendor
Country
Country
Do you know if any of the 18inch Stance models fit both the hub and over the brakes? I assume all the 19s would fit?
18X8.5 from Stance's SF series and Vertini's RF series will be close but would work with no problems. According to measurements we have and the measurements of the wheels, it should be enough space for a pebble to fly through.

artsci

M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country
I'm getting my 20mm and 25mm spacers milled this week to fit over that 2-3mm lip. Will post some photos when I get them back.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Does anyone have the measurement of the length of lip and the length of the 64.1mm hub? I would like the total length from rotor to end of the hub...