1. Tesla Model 3 apparel now available!

Dismiss Notice

UK vehicle excise duty ( annual road tax )

Discussion in 'UK and Ireland' started by Martyn Demers, Jul 9, 2016.

More threads by Martyn Demers
  1. Martyn Demers

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Wednesbury. UK
    2017 road tax in the UK

I have just picked up some interesting information on the UK Tesla 3 owners club Facebook site about 2017 vehicle tax rates. In a nutshell zero emissions vehicles will not pay any road tax each year, as they do at present, however new cars registered in 2017 costing over £40000 will pay £310 additional cost above the yearly rate for the first five years. So we have a choice, suck it up for five years then pay nothing and plan on keeping the vehicle for a long period, as I want to do, or spec the car below 40K and hope you can add some specs through software after purchase, i.e supercharging. This move by our wonderful carbon saving government may mean a lot of people in the UK nor taking up their option on the Model 3. This could well have an impact on Model S and X sales in this country.

• Like Like x 1
    • Englander

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
      United Kingdom
      I can see the logic here - that if you can afford a £40k+ car, you can also afford to pay the extra road tax, but I too think it will dent EV sales in the UK.

My Model ☰ budget has always been less than £40k, so I hope to keep it below that by omitting anything I can pay for later, like Supercharging and Autopilot.

• Like Like x 1
      • TrevP

M3OC Founder / Administrator
        Staff Member Founder
        Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
        Aurora,Ontario
        Country
        I'm surprised you have to pay road tax in the uk given the higher fuel costs there. In Canada transportation infrastructure costs are maintained from added taxes on our fuel prices. In Ontario our new climate change action plan is going to raise fuel prices by $. 04 a litre soon to help pay for other things they're introducing. We're making a hard push for EVs on our roads over the next 4 years with tremendous incentives.

• Martyn Demers

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
        Wednesbury. UK
        Our government screws the motorist this change in the tax laws is because cars are getting lower on emissions resulting in lower road tax and therefore the government getting less revenue. Our current price of petrol is £1.12 on average per litre, just over £6 per gallon, most of this is paid in tax about 80 pence per litre or more.

I had a read of the paper on the new tax rates from 1st April 2017 In the first paragraph it says cars over £40000 will only pay the extra £310 if the pay the standard rate i.e £140, therefore as zero emissions cars pay £0 they will not have to pay the extra. I have tried to copy and paste the paragraph but the forum will not a low it

• Martyn Demers

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
        Wednesbury. UK
        The current UK subsidy for EV's is £4500, this Ibwas told at Tesla Birmingham that is deducted before the price of the car is posted, so if Elon said the cost of the Model 3 in the UK would be £30000 then that would include the government subsidy.

• Sliyk

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
        Solihull
        well that really dampens down the cost saving joy of getting an EV (by a little bit).

• Martyn Demers

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
        Wednesbury. UK
        I e mailed the DVLA for an explanation of the statement regarding zero tax cars over 40K as it can be read either way, surprisingly they have not replied! A poster on the Tesla model three Facebook page pointed me at a magazine article which clearly states we will be hit with the extra £350 tax over 5 years if our car is over 40K. As a lot of options on Tesla cars are able to be paid for after you have got the car, then I think there maybe a good chance we can spec the car under the dreaded figure then pay for upgrades later. I am sure the legal eagles of Elon's will be onto this and hopefully supply the car with add on options fitted.

• BigBri

Top-Contributor
        Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
        Toronto, Ontario
        Country
        I've really come to appreciate Ontario lately the more into EVs as our incentives should be around 14k, no tax on the purchase price and free overnight charging at home for the first few years.

• Martyn Demers

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
        Wednesbury. UK
        Our government have slipped this new road tax system in fromma budget two years ago, strangely as no one I mention itbto seems to have heard about it. Another one of our governments greatvstealth taxes

• BigBri

Top-Contributor
        Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
        Toronto, Ontario
        Country
        I'm nervous we'll see similar things down the road. Ours is pushing hard for EVs which is great but when there isn't a ton of fuel tax being paid chances are they'll come after EVs.

• Like Like x 1
        • Martyn Demers

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
          Wednesbury. UK
          We had the same when diesel powered vehicles were being pushed as the new fuel saving idea, they then started to put extra fuel duty on as we changed from petrol to diesel filled vehicles. They are now thinking of putting a higher tax on us as they now decide that diesels are dirty polluters, roll on my Tesla 3

• Jayc

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
          UK
          Country
          I think where the UK government went wrong is that they put this blanket 40k threshold for all cars irrespective of whether or not EV. And we all know that EVs cost more than the equivalent normal ICE. Then the government argues okay that is why we have the EV grant i.e. to make it a level playing field - but that has been going down since it was introduced and by 2018, I don't expect it to be there so it is no longer a level playing field. I think some of us have to get together and lobby the new government.

• Martyn Demers

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
          Wednesbury. UK
          I agree, the government doesn't seem to want to encourage ev ownership, maybe too much pressure from the major car makers. Elon has shown the way and they don't like it