1. Tesla Model 3 apparel now available!

Dismiss Notice

Upcoming Proposed Service Centers?

Discussion in 'Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by Skione65, Apr 17, 2016.

More threads by Skione65
  1. Skione65

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Kentucky
    Country
    All,

I've have seen a few comments in our threads by Members who have mentioned that they have a new Tesla Service Center coming closer to their home location of residence. I have only seen the Tesla map of "Current" Service Stations/Supercharging locations on the Tesla site. How does one determine where some of these possible new or 'proposed' Service Stations (or Supercharging locations) will be? And yes I know everything is in flux, constantly changing and there will be many new locations between now Model 3 rollout in 2018. I'm just wondering what people are looking at or where they are getting this information.

Or is there a sign up link from Tesla as to getting "Updates" on these locations as they are determined?

Thanks.

Ski

2. AEDennis

Top-Contributor
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Southern California, Most of the time...
    Country
    Good question... I've seen a lot of focus on Superchargers... Not sales or service centers...

3. TrevP

M3OC Founder / Administrator
    Founder
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Aurora,Ontario
    Country
    Teslas has mobile service trucks out and about. Here's one doing tire work

• Like Like x 2
  4. Red Sage

The Cybernetic Samurai
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Los Angeles CA
    Country
    The Federal lawsuit against officials of the Great State of Michigan represents Tesla's activity on behalf of Tesla Stores/Galleries and Service Centers. Tesla cannot go through what they did in Utah any longer... Assuming they have a deal in place, acquiring land, building it out fully, then being told after the fact they are not allowed to open. That could be disastrous if it happened at 80-to-120 locations at once. Then how would stockholders react? Better to win the case outright, then spread like wildfire across the nation.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. cdbmo

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Springfield, MO
    Country
    As of last summer Tesla had plans to replace the current store in St. Louis, MO with one in nearby Chesterfield. It hasn't been completed as of yet, but will be going in a building formerly used as an automotive museum (currently sized at about 30,000 sq ft). The current service center is barely large enough to have a desk for sales and is in an industrial park area, not conducive to their brand image.

However, there is a court case currently pending (much like other states) that temporarily closed the Missouri stores for a few days just after the first of the year. A stay was put into place allowing Tesla to reopen their stores but it could be a rocky ride for the time being until fully resolved.

6. KennethK

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Michigan
    @Red Sage has there been any updates on the lawsuit in Michigan? I have a personal interest since it will affect where I pick up my model 3.

7. TrevP

M3OC Founder / Administrator
    Founder
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Aurora,Ontario
    Country
    • Like Like x 1
  8. sambira

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Colorado
    Wow. About time they expose the hypocrisy of the Republican agenda being for free market systems. And people complain that EVs and Tesla get so many subsidies but the truth is that many areas that have been around a long time get subsidies for them to survive. Heck, the US auto industry has been bailed out by taxpayers many times to keep them alive (the latest being the last recession)

9. Matthew Morgan

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Phoenix, AZ
    Country
    #9 Matthew Morgan, Mar 12, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2017
    Don't wanna make this political but I would n't blame this on the republican agenda. I think we can blame it on the automaker juggernauts trying to stifle the free market system by incorrectly quoting the intent of the system.

Maybe we could call it Republican Extremism.

• Agree Agree x 3
  10. AEDennis

Top-Contributor
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Southern California, Most of the time...
    Country
    Actually. In the specific case of Texas. The bills supporting Tesla has come from Republicans in Texas.

It's really a function of who the car dealer networks have lobbied in each state, and not party.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. Red Sage

The Cybernetic Samurai
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Los Angeles CA
    Country
    Correct. Some have tried to tie this to the RED State/BLUE State phenomena, but it really doesn't fit too well. Others have pointed to Republican Governors in Texas, Michigan, or New Jersey. But it is really about not losing the lucrative financial support to campaign funding that can be had when election time comes around. No one incumbent member of the State Legislature wants to see those funds directed toward a political opponent instead of their own coffers. No matter the party affiliation the bills proposed and votes cast to make them law seem to always be made to favor the 'independent franchised dealerships'.

Back in 2014, when there was a sneak attack to dislodge Tesla from Missouri, a guy who had direct family ties to dealerships foisted some new legislation onto a junior colleague and had him introduce the offensive changes to franchise law. Also in 2014, the person who submitted an edited version of the amendment that banned Tesla in Michigan was married to a lobbyist for the dealerships.

These guys know full well if they make a publicly accessible version of their bill revisions available prior to a vote it will become big news. That is why they try so hard to be sneaky, get the final revisions inserted only minutes before a final vote. They don't want a public outcry of support on the record, news vans in the parking lot, or those crazy Tesla Enthusiasts with their cars surrounding the entire block -- giving interviews and test rides -- because that will make them look bad.

• Informative Informative x 1
  12. scmaxwell

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Aiken, SC
    Country
    #12 scmaxwell, Apr 18, 2017 at 3:55 PM
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2017 at 6:05 PM
    I am currently living in South Carolina and we have zero service centers in the state. Our options are basically drive to Atlanta or Charlotte to our nearest center. Hopefully by the time model 3 comes out, Tesla will have at least one planned. I figure Columbia would be logical choice as it's the State Capitol and in the middle of the State. I have at least 1year and several months until I have to worry, unlike some of you early reservation holders. Can't wait to see the posts you guys have when you start getting your deliveries.

• Like Like x 3
  13. Red Sage

The Cybernetic Samurai
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Los Angeles CA
    Country
    It seems that Tesla has not yet given up in the Great State of Texas:

Tesla tries a new, ambitious approach at Texas Capitol | Texas Tribune
    A pair of bills filed Friday would allow any vehicle manufacturer to sell directly to Texans — bypassing the middleman dealers — in the biggest challenge yet to a longstanding state ban on the practice. -- by Patrick Svitek, March 10, 2017

It would be very nice if this works. Tesla is currently restricted to only operate Galleries in Texas, so their employees are not allowed to discuss pricing at all. Unfortunately the Texas State Assembly only meets once every two years. Tesla has struck out there in both 2013 and 2015, so this is their last opportunity to strike a deal prior to the launch of the Model ☰.

Here is some rather fuzzy, low quality video from an August 2013 episode of NIGHTLINE on ABC that covered Tesla's sales method being banned in Texas. At one point, Bill Wolters (then President of the Texas Dealership organization), outright lies when he says that they 'just want Tesla to play by the rules'. He doesn't mention at all that 'independent franchised dealerships' specifically lobbied the Texas legislature/assembly in their 2013 session to change the rule of law to ban Tesla. He intimates that Tesla requested an 'exception' to sell direct in Texas, but doesn't mention that before the change he and his associates saw enacted, Tesla wouldn't have needed one.

For some reason, the video no longer appears on the ABC website at all. For me anyway, it just sits there eternally 'buffering' after playing a commercial. There are other stories about Tesla though. Try this link, maybe you'll have better results than I did:

There is a link that says 'Read Full Story' that redirects to another story entirely, before I can copy the URL. The Search Function on the website won't bring up articles from that time period either.

Oh well. At least I was able to find a copy of it on YAHOO! NEWS, though without the accompanying video...

• Like Like x 3