1. It's OK to discuss software issues here but please report bugs to Tesla directly at servicehelpna@teslamotors.com if you want things fixed.

USB Thumb Drive Loading Error - ITunes

Discussion in 'Software and Firmware' started by ummgood, Apr 27, 2018.

1. ummgood

Top-Contributor
    Expand Collapse

Country
    I took a USB 2.0 8GB Kingston thumb drive and decided to test to see if I could load music in my car. I downloaded some songs to my mac (I usually just have them on my phone). The HD If Available checkbox was checked in iTunes and I copied the directory structure that iTunes uses directly onto the drive. The files are m4a files.

Anyway when I put the drive into the car the USB option shows up and when I select it the car can see the files. When I select a file it shows artist/album/artwork etc... but I get a loading error on all the files.

Any thoughts to what I need to do to support this? I can use my phone no biggie but I thought it would be kind of cool to have all my iTunes music in my car. I wanted to test on an existing USB drive before I purchased a larger one that would be dedicated to the car.

• Like Like x 1
  2. GDN

GDN
    M3OC Supporting Member
    M3OC Supporting Member
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    I"ve read a thread where someone loaded up a big USB drive. They had problems as the car was taking a long time to index and read through the drive. I do think it played the songs, but he found it seems that you can't use too big a drive with too many songs.

3. Joaquin

Expand Collapse

Country
    Convert them to mp3. I think iTunes can export into mp3 if chosen in the settings.

4. SoFlaModel3

Team Midnight Silver
    Moderator M3OC Supporting Member
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    Is it Apple Music music or iTunes purchased songs? If Apple Music, it might not play.

5. ummgood

Top-Contributor
    Expand Collapse

Country
    Purchased I don’t have Apple Music.

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. ummgood

Top-Contributor
    Expand Collapse

Country
    I just downloaded Tesla tunes. I am going to try that later.

7. SoFlaModel3

Team Midnight Silver
    Moderator M3OC Supporting Member
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    Well there goes my theory :)

8. Charlie W

M3OC Supporting Member
    M3OC Supporting Member
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country

For a while, I thought I was the last person on the planet who was wanting to use a USB to play songs instead of having to use my phone. I feel better now. ;)

~Charlie

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. ummgood

Top-Contributor
    Expand Collapse

Country
    So I think there is something weird with Apple files that the Model 3 doesn't like. I converted a few to FLAC just to test and the car can play those but I have a problem with the car going to the next song on the drive after playing for roughly 30 seconds. So that isn't quite perfect yet but that could be because I had to go and pulled the drive and probably messed up the file transfer.

I tried TeslaTunes and it is pretty neat but it will not convert to FLAC unless it thinks the files are Apple lossless (which I guess they aren't but I think they are because the car won't play them) so it does a nice copy but won't auto convert and there is no way to force it. I opened an issue with the developer and he has reached out so maybe we can get this solved which would be awesome!

I plan on getting some more files converted to FLAC and will try it again today. I just wanted to keep everyone up to date because I haven't seen many Model 3 postings on getting the right format on a USB drive.

For reference I have a Macbook Pro 13" with Touchbar that I am using to try to do all of this. I could try on one of my work laptops but they have this software on there that sniffs all outgoing packets and it makes USB transfer super painfully slow.

• Informative Informative x 2
  10. duckfriedrice

Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Reservation
    Country
    #10 duckfriedrice, Apr 30, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2018
    Hey guys. The issue for some could be the format of the USB drive. It needs to be FAT32. I'm not on my computer at the moment, but if it's not an option for Macs find a PC to format the drive with. They mention the format in the manual of someone else wants to find it. Not sure what file types they support, but I heard that the model S supports FLAC amongst others.

11. duckfriedrice

Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Reservation
    Country
    From the latest manual:

Attached Files:

12. GDN

GDN
    M3OC Supporting Member
    M3OC Supporting Member
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    Just as a confirmation the Mac can format FAT32.

• Like Like x 1
  13. MelindaV

☰ > 3
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Reservation
    Country
    if I recall though, there is a size max for FAT32 (at least from OSX), so a top thumb drive may be ok, but not a 2T SSD drive.

14. ummgood

Top-Contributor
    Expand Collapse

Country
    I already had it formatted FAT32 and then for good measure I wiped it and formatted it again. That didn't fix the issue. The car can read the USB just fine and see all the files on there. Plus it knows the song name/artist/title on the m4a files. When I choose a file to play it shows up on the screen with the info about the file including album art but it says "Loading Error" under the song name and will not play.

I have better results with FLAC but that still isn't perfect and I don't want to manually manage all the files myself. The utility I tried is very basic so I have to choose a directory at a time and it will copy to a root level on the thumb drive. So I am hoping to get a new TeslaTunes version that will do this for me. I could get his code and change it to do what I want but right now I don't have time and I haven't done Mac development before so there would be some learning curve.

15. Edward Reading

Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    What is Teslatunes?
    Thanks,
    Ed

16. Joaquin

Expand Collapse

Country
    In my previous life with other cars that were supposed to play music from USB or CDs with mp3, there are several things to consider:
    1. Double check that the files does NOT have DRM (copyright management stuff). iTunes uses this even if you purchased the song.
    2. Try to use a very well known format and codec. Specially those DRM-free (mp3).
    3. Double check the names of the folders and files: look for spaces, symbols, long names, etc.
    4. Remove any non-music files: images, meta-data files, etc.
    5. Try first with a small number of folders/files.
    I remember having lots of pain with all these stuff. It was a blessing when I could use my iPhone over BT with Apple music locally cached in the phone. Much less drama.

Not sure what is the perfect recipe for the Model 3 USB itself, let us know if you find it :)

17. ummgood

Top-Contributor
    Expand Collapse

Country
    It is a utility written by a fellow Tesla owner. It runs on Mac OS X and it syncs your iTunes library with a thumb drive. So if you buy new songs it identifies the new ones and copies only them over so you can keep a USB thumb drive in sync with your music without much work. In addition it is supposed to convert apple files you cannot play on the Tesla to FLAC format so the car can play them. It works fine keeping the files in sync for me but it isn't converting the files to FLAC so either it thinks the files are ones that are compatible with Tesla or they are compatible with Model S/X but not with 3.

If you have a Mac it is really a nice piece of software that helps manage a USB drive. Unfortunately at this moment it isn't working for me but I filed an issue against his project so he has reached out to me. I'll follow up to let others know what comes of it.

18. ummgood

Top-Contributor
    Expand Collapse

Country
    Thanks I am trying different things and will let everyone know what works. I have things though during the process. 1. It has to work. 2. I have to have some easy way to maintain the files on the USB drive. If I can't get both things to happen then I'll give up on it. That is why I went the TeslaTunes approach first because I like how it helps sync and convert at the same time. If I have to manually convert and keep everything sync it will not be worth it to me. I might be tempted to write software that can do it but why if someone already has something that does everything I want.

19. Edward Reading

Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    Wow, that sounds great. Thanks for the reply. I will have to check it out.

20. Runt8

Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    No
    Country
    iTunes stopped using DRM on purchased songs in 2009. However, songs that were purchased before then could still have the DRM in the files. Deleting and re-downloading them will delivery DRM-free versions.

• Agree Agree x 1