1. It's OK to discuss software issues here but please report bugs to Tesla directly at servicehelpna@teslamotors.com if you want things fixed.

Use of Summon and other functions without LTE or wifi

Discussion in 'Software and Firmware' started by FF35, Aug 6, 2018.

1. FF35

Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    Why does summon and turning on the AC require LTE or WiFi? I’m in an area where the car can not get LTE (my Verizon service on the phone works perfectly) and The only thing I can do is lock and unlock the car with my phone.

The Bolt, which uses Bluetooth, could still use all of the functions whether or not the Bolt has WiFi or LTE.

What gives?

2. Ed Woodrick

Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    The app uses LTE for to control anything that you control in the app. Just because it does.

3. FF35

Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    Two things.

The app doesn’t need LTE to control everything as stated in the initial post. It does exclusively use Bluetooth for the locks, trunk and frunk if you’re within range.

The fact that Tesla excludes the use of AC and summon from using Bluetooth exclusively is really strange. Why would the car need LTE to turn on the AC when I’m 20 feet away is a bit strange.

Just “because” isn’t a good reason. They should change it.

4. Ed Woodrick

Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    Just because is an answer that you should get used to. There is a lot of things that people are wanting, some are getting delivered, but I suspect that many are in queue behind the FSD features. There's a LOT of things that the car stops doing when it doesn't have cellular service.
    Summon is a brand new feature, only been available for weeks. For me, summon and parking are so slow, that they are rarely useful, most demo items.

5. FF35

Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    Seems like a bug to me.

6. Ed Woodrick

Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    Absolutely in no case would this be considered a bug. A bug is something that is working in manner inconsistent for how it was designed. At this point, it is worked that way that it is designed. The design may change in the future, as so many pieces of the car are expected to.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. garsh

Dis Member
    Moderator M3OC Supporting Member
    Expand Collapse

Country
    #7 garsh, Aug 7, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2018
    Well, how about: because the S & X didn't have bluetooth?

Not saying they shouldn't change it. Just providing a possible "why".

• Love it! Love it! x 1
  8. SoFlaModel3

Team Midnight Silver
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    It’s not a bug. Perhaps it’s just not developed all the way (other priorities) or there is an underlying reason. Best to submit an enhancement request and see where it goes!

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. FF35

Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    The battery level requires LTE as well. Not being able to see the battery level via Bluetooth is strange too. It’s hard to imagine this was purposely done by Tesla.

10. Rich M

M3OC Supporting Member
    M3OC Supporting Member
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    If you want to dm me an intersection near you I can see if something can be done about the LTE situation.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  11. FF35

Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    I’m camping at Lake George.

I think this has less to do with LTE and more to do with Bluetooth and why certain things don’t work without LTE. It’s not a huge deal but was trying to show some friends summon and it won’t work here.

Don’t understand why Tesla will only allow the locks, trunk and frunk to work but nothing else, including something simple like the battery level. Is there a good explanation?

12. garsh

Dis Member
    Expand Collapse

Country
    Momentum, lack of foresight, limited engineering time and too many other things to do.

The original Model S cars didn't have bluetooth, so mobile network was the only way to accomplish those things.

You should suggest such a change to them!

Tesla starts shipping new key fob with Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE)

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. FF35

Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    I saw the keyfob report yesterday. I was excited to see that report.

How do you submit a request?

14. garsh

Dis Member
    Expand Collapse

Country
    Actually, the article I linked was from 2016. That's when Tesla switched the S/X keyfob from radio frequency to bluetooth. I was just providing proof that the old S/X vehicles didn't have bluetooth at all.
    I believe there's a way to do it from inside the vehicle. @SoFlaModel3 ?

15. SoFlaModel3

Team Midnight Silver
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    Inside the car you can only do a “bug report” using the voice control. I think an enhancement could be submitted that way as well.

I would email servicehelpna@tesla.com as well though.

16. Rich M

M3OC Supporting Member
    M3OC Supporting Member
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    Lake George is huge and covered by 6 cell sites, so it depends where on the lake you are.

It looks like the bluetooth utilization is 1 way only, phone to car. Is anything reported from the car back to the phone when the only connection is BT?

17. FF35

Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    The app can see the status of the locks so it can definitely do 2 way via Bluetooth. For whatever reason the other functions are excluded.

I’m at Rogers Rock campground.

18. Rich M

M3OC Supporting Member
    M3OC Supporting Member
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    Gotcha. If you still want to try summon, best shot is to get as east as you can in the parking lot in the pink box, with the car facing south.
    It's just happenstance that the closest ATT site is on the same side of the lake as Rogers Rock, but blocked by terrain and foliage, so the site that serves Rogers rock is actually 10mi south on Huletts landing with an unobstructed, albeit weak shot up the lake. Verizon is on the other side with a better viewshed.
    lake george.PNG

• Like Like x 1
  19. Bernard

M3OC Supporting Member
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    I agree it's not a bug -- but in a sense it's worse: it's a design flaw. I assume it's because all Tesla engineers and designers are urban types, who never suffer from spotty LTE coverage ;-) That so many functions in the car depend on non-stop LTE connectivity I think supports that interpretation.
    Fortunately, it's all software and thus easily fixable -- we just need the Tesla engineers to realize that some of their customers live in the boondocks ;-)
    (Some of the software already exists: in Google maps, you can download the maps for your trip, so that you can still use the maps offline -- the navigation system should offer that option, but even better, should automatically buffer the next 15-20miles without having to be asked and seamlessly switch between the buffered version and the real-time version as needed.)

• Agree Agree x 3
  20. PNWmisty

Top-Contributor
    Expand Collapse

Country
    #20 PNWmisty, Aug 17, 2018 at 1:51 AM
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2018 at 3:49 AM
    I agree with you on something as simple as turning on the A/C but when it comes to summoning, I totally understand why they might not want to use Bluetooth. Because moving a car is serious enough business that you want to exclude the possibility that it could drive itself out of Bluetooth range considering that Bluetooth is a very short range technology. And I think thats why summon isn't always reliable, even with cell service one would think was good enough. Because it takes a little while to determine if the cell signal is steady and reliable enough to count on.