1. Tesla Model 3 apparel now available!

Dismiss Notice

Using the Tesla J1772 Adapter

Discussion in 'Charging and Infrastructure' started by Brokedoc, Sep 30, 2017.

More threads by Brokedoc
  1. Brokedoc

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    New York
    Country
    I wanted to put this in a separate thread so it's easy to find in the future. Credit to @LUXMAN for asking about the adapter.

Firstly, I LOVE Plugshare. Tesla has a really nice supercharger infrastructure but especially with the Model 3 not getting free Supercharging, it's nice to see other places to get level 2 charging (for free a lot of the time). I wanted to see how the J1772 adapter works so I looked up my location on Plugshare and found a bunch of local business that have Tesla chargers installed and will let you plug in for free. These guys aren't listed on the Tesla map and are really useful for certain areas that mau not have a big Tesla SC presence like for @RiggerJon in Austin.

So the J1772 adapter is included with the Universal Mobile Charger that comes with the Model 3. Its small and easy to lose and costs almost $100 to replace so DONT LOSE IT!!! I leave my UMC plugged in at home. It has huge metal blades to go into the NEMA 14-50 receptacle and frequent insertion/removal will cause premature wear. I primarily charge at home and when I charge on a road trip I use Supercharger or destination chargers so I don't need my UMC. I leave the J1772 adapter in my glove box in case I want to use a non-Tesla charger. It I haven't used it yet until today. The plug looks like this:
    20170930_151341.jpg

Using Plugshare I found a local Nissan dealer with a J1772 charging station. Many BMW service centers also have J1772 chargers.
    20170930_154449.jpg

The black switch on the charger handle allows you to remove the plug from the station. The adapter and the charger plug:
    20170930_160817.jpg

There is no button on the charging handle like the Tesla handles so you need to manually open the charge port door from the screen or app (or if like the S/X, press the charge port door when the car is unlocked - not sure if the 3 has this feature). Plug it in just like the Tesla charger and the adapter latches locked and the green light comes on. Success!
    20170930_154530.jpg

Being that this charge station was supplied by an active Nissan service station, voltage was just around 200 volts. Presumably charge rate would be higher at a full 240v. J1772 preset to max of 30amps. I reached 16 MPH charge rate with A/C off at this lower voltage.
    20170930_154848.jpg

No button on the handle to stop charging so I manually stopped charging on the screen. Light indicator now Blue to indicate not charging but how the heck do I unplug it without the button on the handle like a Tesla charger?
    20170930_155033.jpg

I pressed the black button on the charging handle to unlatch it from the adapter and detached the handle from the adapter. Voila! Adapter stays in the charge port and light turns white and you can hear the lock disengage. Pull the adapter out and drive! For @LUXMAN, if the car is locked, the adapter stays locked to the car even if the J1772 handle is disconnected. Nobody can steal the adapter.
    20170930_155039.jpg

• Informative Informative x 9
    • Like Like x 2
    • Badback

Valued Community Member
      Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
      Prior Lake, MN
      Tesla Owner:
      Reservation
      Country
      How do the Nissan people feel about you using their charger?

• Like Like x 1
      • MelindaV

☰ > 3
        Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
        Vancouver, WA
        Tesla Owner:
        Reservation
        Country
        If you look at PlugShare and the history of who has used a particular charge station at a car dealership, most are not the same brand as that dealer sells.
        These are also probably the charge stations most likely to be blocked by other cars (inventory cars) and likely locked behind a gate after hours in many places, so probably best not to count on them being available.

• Agree Agree x 1
        • garsh

Dis Member
          Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
          Pittsburgh PA
          Country
          Depends on the dealer.
          Some don't care.
          Some think that you should only use their chargers if you bought a car from them.

• Brokedoc

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
          New York
          Country
          At this Nissan dealer there was one CHAdeMO plug and two J1772 plugs and none of them were being used. I was probably there for no more than 10 minutes and nobody came up to me to say anything. There were a few Nissan salespeople that looked at me a few times. Not in an evil way but more like in an "I wish I was a Tesla Salesperson" way...

• Love it! Love it! x 2
          • Funny Funny x 1
          • KennethK

Top-Contributor
            Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
            Michigan
            Country
            @Brokedoc, I found out that if you press on the charge port door while the car is unlocked, the port will open. Also you can hold the trunk button on the remote a few seconds and that will also open the charge port door.

To stop charging, you can briefly press the black button on the J1772 handle without pulling on it until the color of the port turns light blue. Then release the black button which latches onto the adapter and pull.

• Like Like x 1
            • Informative Informative x 1
            • Petra

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
              Palmdale, CA
              Country
              I made a gif a while back to demonstrate this:
              [​IMG]

• Love it! Love it! x 3
              • Like Like x 1
              • Informative Informative x 1