V9 Features: Blindspot Warnings

• Please post everything related to v9 (2018.39.x) into the version 9 MEGATHREAD. Please do your part to keep this site organized for everyone by looking around or doing a search BEFORE posting. Thanks

• It's OK to discuss software issues here but please report bugs to Tesla directly at servicehelpna@teslamotors.com if you want things fixed.

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
for the big Version 9 release, we are going to have dedicated feature specific threads. Please use the MEGA thread for general fw discussion, using these for known specific features once the fw is being used.

dragonvoi

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
interesting approach to this one, not quite the cool option of showing what the side camera sees when you signal but we shall see how it pans out:

Attachments

ADK46

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
The email that I got moments ago says I need Full Self-Driving hardware for this to work. I did not pay the $3000 for FSD, but is it talking about something else?

Veedio

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
The email that I got moments ago says I need Full Self-Driving hardware for this to work. I did not pay the $3000 for FSD, but is it talking about something else?
I wondered the same but I think they probably mean Autopilot 2.5 hardware which we all have (I haven’t received the update yet). They could have worded it better though.

NEO

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I rented a $31000 Nissan Rogue with blind spot detection over a year ago

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I saw, that too, that you needed to have paid $8K for a security feature on top of a premium of the car. I find that disappointing this is the case.

ADK46

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
The description is written for all Teslas, meaning some that do not have all the sensors that a Model 3 has. It may be talking about those. The word "hardware" might be important, which we have. Holding out hope. Here's the text on the website referenced by the email:

Blindspot Monitoring

To improve safety and increase confidence when changing lanes, cars with Full Self-Driving hardware will now display a red lane line when your turn signal is engaged and a car or obstacle is detected in your target lane. There is no change to the display for cars without Full Self-Driving hardware.
Tesla cars with Full-Self-Driving hardware will now use all eight cameras, providing a 360-degree view of surrounding cars. This includes improved blind spot monitoring on the instrument panel which reflects the type of car in your blind spot, supplementing an already attentive driver.
https://www.tesla.com/support/software-v9

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Gotcha.. so, we have the hardware but may not need the subscription for it to work. Thanks for the clarification.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Edit: ADK beat me to this, but to reiterate:

From the email (after clicking through for more details):

Blindspot Monitoring
To improve safety and increase confidence when changing lanes, cars with Full Self-Driving hardware will now display a red lane line when your turn signal is engaged and a car or obstacle is detected in your target lane. There is no change to the display for cars without Full Self-Driving hardware.

Tesla cars with Full-Self-Driving hardware will now use all eight cameras, providing a 360-degree view of surrounding cars. This includes improved blind spot monitoring on the instrument panel which reflects the type of car in your blind spot, supplementing an already attentive driver.
Full self-driving hardware, which is standard on all Model 3s. I'm not certain, but I'd guess this means this feature is available to everyone, regardless of whether or not you paid for the Full Self-Driving package.

JWardell

Legendary Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I will reiterate my disappointment that the blind spot warning is only a visual red line on the display and not an audible warning when you activate your turn signals as most other cars do. Rarely do you think to look for the small visual warning (and for those with impairments, both should be there).
Frankly, the car should be smart enough to avoid the collision and tug the wheel away.
Of course, I'm sure this will all come in due time.

Unplugged

M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I will reiterate my disappointment that the blind spot warning is only a visual red line on the display and not an audible warning when you activate your turn signals as most other cars do.
The wheel already vibrates for moving out of the lane without using the turn signal. Why not incorporate the steering wheel vibration into the blind spot alert? It could be more pronounced, but it would go on if there was a vehicle detected.

garsh

Dis Member
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
do most states not require visual impairments be corrected in order to drive in the first place?
Only to some minimal level.

ADK46

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
When attempting to move to the left lane, Tesla wants me to look to the right and study the display, then turn my eyes towards the mirror? Or the opposite? Look only at the screen? Just turn on auto-steer and don't look?

A fifth option, apparently not possible on a Tesla: The new car I got last year has a very prominent yellow warning light on the mirror that comes on when there's a car in my blind spot. If I turn on the blinker, it will flash - impossible to miss or ignore.

Tesla should implement something that serves the same purpose - resistance felt in the wheel, a warning sound, something.

SoFlaModel3

Team Midnight Silver
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
When attempting to move to the left lane, Tesla wants me to look to the right and study the display, then turn my eyes towards the mirror? Or the opposite? Look only at the screen? Just turn on auto-steer and don't look?

A fifth option, apparently not possible on a Tesla: The new car I got last year has a very prominent yellow warning light on the mirror that comes on when there's a car in my blind spot. If I turn on the blinker, it will flash - impossible to miss or ignore.

Tesla should implement something that serves the same purpose - resistance felt in the wheel, a warning sound, something.
My assumption is that either an audible alert or vibration in the wheel or both will come with a future update.

Last edited:

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
If it was something flashing at me, I would hate it. Things like that make some people sick, and I really don’t want to attempt not to throw up whenever changing lanes.

ADK46

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
The flashing only occurs when I've done something wrong - turned on my blinker to change lanes when I shouldn't change lanes. I try very hard not to do that, so it's only happened two or three times in the past year, when I've allowed an assumption to reverse the proper order of checking then signaling. Only when wanting to move right, since the steady warning light on the right mirror is out of my peripheral vision.

iChris93

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
The flashing only occurs when I've done something wrong - turned on my blinker to change lanes when I shouldn't change lanes. I try very hard not to do that, so it's only happened two or three times in the past year, when I've allowed an assumption to reverse the proper order of checking then signaling. Only when wanting to move right, since the steady warning light on the right mirror is out of my peripheral vision.
What if there are two left turn lanes and you’re in the one on the right?

ADK46

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Doesn't flash or give the steady light unless you're going over a certain speed. At least, I've never seen it do anything other than what you'd want it to do, stop you from cutting off someone in your blind spot. I've come to trust it, perhaps too much - I find myself not checking as carefully when I'm in another car, including the M3.

It works off cameras mounted on the mirrors. Another option I splurged on was the 360° surround view like that promised (?) for V.9. It works off two more wide-angle cameras, front and rear. Great for maneuvering and grading your paper on parking space position.