V9 Features: Dashcam

• Please post everything related to v9 (2018.39.x) into the version 9 MEGATHREAD. Please do your part to keep this site organized for everyone by looking around or doing a search BEFORE posting. Thanks

• It's OK to discuss software issues here but please report bugs to Tesla directly at servicehelpna@teslamotors.com if you want things fixed.

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
for the big Version 9 release, we are going to have dedicated feature specific threads. Please use the MEGA thread for general fw discussion, using these for known specific features once the fw is being used.

SoFlaModel3

Team Midnight Silver
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I put together this video to help get ready for the dashcam functionality. I hope it helps!

FF35

M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
508E308A-03A4-4CB5-821C-9B43B68985B3.jpeg

JWardell

Legendary Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
In preparation for v9 dash cam functionality, I ordered a SanDisk wireless flash drive* and small USB hub so I can connect phone, and one flash drive for cam and my existing USB stick for music.

Release notes state that dash cam can't use same drive as music drive. I hope that is resolved some day, but another drive plus hub isn't expensive.
I thought the wireless drive would be useful so that in case of accident etc, files could easily and immediately be downloaded to phone. This is why my existing dash cams have wifi. *Note that only the 32GB version of this model is FAT32 formatted according to reviews, larger sizes may or may not work.

ER1C8

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
In preparation for v9 dash cam functionality, I ordered a SanDisk wireless flash drive* and small USB hub so I can connect phone, and one flash drive for cam and my existing USB stick for music.

Release notes state that dash cam can't use same drive as music drive. I hope that is resolved some day, but another drive plus hub isn't expensive.
I thought the wireless drive would be useful so that in case of accident etc, files could easily and immediately be downloaded to phone. This is why my existing dash cams have wifi. *Note that only the 32GB version of this model is FAT32 formatted according to reviews, larger sizes may or may not work.
I like that drive. Being able to get to the footage wirelessly would be nice. I might buy the same drive.

Last edited:

webdriverguy00

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I like that drive. Being able to get to the footage wirelessly would be nice. I might buy the same drive.
I like it too but I want 128 Gigs

Rich M

Top-Contributor
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
d small USB hub so I can connect phone, and one flash drive for cam and my existing USB stick for music.
Others have indicated the car recognizes a multi-partitioned USB stick as two drives. I would try that first before using a hub since each USB port doesn't put out much current.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Editing this as I'm not certain it is the case that we're allowed to discuss this yet. First rule of fight club...

My apologies if I jumped the gun!

Last edited:

JWardell

Legendary Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Others have indicated the car recognizes a multi-partitioned USB stick as two drives. I would try that first before using a hub since each USB port doesn't put out much current.
Great idea!

(I am hearing that they are sending V9 to wide release so I hope it's okay to discuss this now!)

Anyone using this yet? I am wondering about the file structure. When I plug the USB into my computer, I see the various .mov files that are just the looped, incremental record files. However, there are .REC files outside of the TeslaCam folder that seem to have been created when I clicked the "save" on the screen. But I can't open those. It suggest VLC Player, but won't open. Anyone have suggestions?
What if you change the file name to .mov or .m4v ? Are the files large enough to be videos?

I can't test things or troubleshoot until I have v9 myself. Hopefully soon.

dragonvoi

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
looking at the videos, there is a time stamp but, the date modified time stamp is off by 5 hours. first video was taken at 12:42

upload_2018-10-5_13-16-8.png

RichEV

M3OC Supporting Member
Country
Country
seeing the word "front" in the file name is a good sign for future enhancements.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

I read the description of the SanDisk wireless USB drive and it notes that the wireless feature does not work while plugged into a PC. ...if I need to unplug to get the data off it might be better to get one that can plug into your phone to quickly offload videos. ...I was thinking about this one:
SanDisk 32GB iXpand Flash Drive for iPhone and iPad - SDIX30C-032G-GN6NN

Rich M

Top-Contributor
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
New text indicates any video clip older than 1 hour will be deleted regardless of how much space you have on your drive. So it sounds like it can never use any more than 1.8 GB plus ~300 MB for each 10 min clip you choose to save. This makes it super important to remember to hit the save button within 10 minutes of anything interesting happening.

tc.PNG

Last edited:

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
New text indicates any video clip older than 1 hour will be deleted regardless of how much space you have on your drive. So it sounds like it can never use any more than 1.8 GB plus ~300 MB for each 10 min clip you choose to save. This makes it super important to remember to hit the save button within 10 minutes of anything interesting happening.

View attachment 15561
My first take reading that line was that any 10 minute clips you have saved, need to be downloaded off the drive within an hour, not that it clears out any data more than 1 hr old. could be worded a little better, whichever the case is.

JWardell

Legendary Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I read the description of the SanDisk wireless USB drive and it notes that the wireless feature does not work while plugged into a PC. ...if I need to unplug to get the data off it might be better to get one that can plug into your phone to quickly offload videos. ...I was thinking about this one:
SanDisk 32GB iXpand Flash Drive for iPhone and iPad - SDIX30C-032G-GN6NN
It has a built-in battery and you simply press the button to turn it on in wifi mode while it is in your hand etc. You can very easily browse its contents from the phone app.

Rich M

Top-Contributor
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
My first take reading that line was that any 10 minute clips you have saved, need to be downloaded off the drive within an hour, not that it clears out any data more than 1 hr old. could be worded a little better, whichever the case is.
Nah, cause on a long trip with no access to a computer you'd lose everything. Locking the file with the save button creates a 10 min clip and makes it permanent, which is the usual operation on normal dash cams. I'm pretty sure it's saying the unsaved, routine 1-minute clips will be cleared out one by one after an hour.
But my big question is, for the non-saved clips, does it delete by number of clips (60 clips at 1 minute each, always deleting the oldest), or does it delete by timestamp (if car is parked for 2 hours, it immediately deletes all clips on the next startup because they are all >1 hour old. The latter doesn't make any sense, but I am not the one writing the code.

UTexas98

Country
Country
The vast majority of trips are less than 60 mins. I'd have to assume it keeps 60 1 min clips. Their goal *should* be to give you a reasonable amount of recorded history and not fill up your drive with useless files.

Nah, cause on a long trip with no access to a computer you'd lose everything. Locking the file with the save button creates a 10 min clip and makes it permanent, which is the usual operation on normal dash cams. I'm pretty sure it's saying the unsaved, routine 1-minute clips will be cleared out one by one after an hour.
But my big question is, for the non-saved clips, does it delete by number of clips (60 clips at 1 minute each, always deleting the oldest), or does it delete by timestamp (if car is parked for 2 hours, it immediately deletes all clips on the next startup because they are all >1 hour old. The latter doesn't make any sense, but I am not the one writing the code.

Rich M

Top-Contributor
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
The vast majority of trips are less than 60 mins. I'd have to assume it keeps 60 1 min clips. Their goal *should* be to give you a reasonable amount of recorded history and not fill up your drive with useless files.
The USB drive can only be used for the dashcam, so filling it up would never be a concern.
Their goal *should* be to work like every other dash cam and use all available space and only start deleting once it's full.