V9 Features: Energy Display

• If you haven't taken delivery yet or plan on ordering you can still get the 6 months of FREE Supercharging only until December 10th all Model 3s now qualify! Call or email your Tesla delivery advisor and give them our code
  • Please post everything related to v9 (2018.39.x) into the version 9 MEGATHREAD. Please do your part to keep this site organized for everyone by looking around or doing a search BEFORE posting. Thanks

• Winter is here and the forum is starting to get flooded with cold weather threads and posts. Please heed the suggested threads and posts before you post something related to cold weather. This is a great place to start: https://model3ownersclub.com/threads/teslas-in-cold-weather.5271
  • It's OK to discuss software issues here but please report bugs to Tesla directly at servicehelpna@teslamotors.com if you want things fixed.

fmcotton

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Someone please explain how this graph works. I never understood it when looking at images of it for the S and X. Now that I am the owner of a Model 3, I feel like I have to understand what this graph is saying.

Rich M

Top-Contributor
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I would love to have "performance" gauges on screen with more stats like:
  • coolant flow rate
  • inverter temperature
  • motor temperature
  • louvers open/closed
  • motor rpm
  • battery active heating/cooling

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
I'm with you, @joelliot . I'm trying to figure out what this all means, too.

Any teachers out there who'd like to fill us in? :)
After staring at the screen for a bit, I believe the solid line might be the rated Wh/mi. In other words, if you stayed at the line you would get your rated 310 mile range? So average for the time period selected, instant and rated Wh/mi. The trip is still blank, It would seem it is only active while you are on a trip and I didn’t check it while driving.

Doug Joubert

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
After staring at the screen for a bit, I believe the solid line might be the rated Wh/mi. In other words, if you stayed at the line you would get your rated 310 mile range? So average for the time period selected, instant and rated Wh/mi. The trip is still blank, It would seem it is only active while you are on a trip and I didn’t check it while driving.
Thank you @joelliot !

Bokonon

Self-identified Teslaholic
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
After staring at the screen for a bit, I believe the solid line might be the rated Wh/mi. In other words, if you stayed at the line you would get your rated 310 mile range? So average for the time period selected, instant and rated Wh/mi.
Yup! That's how the energy screen works on the Model S and X. The Model 3's energy screen basically looks like a straight-up port of the S/X version.

Minor correction, though: the X-axis of the energy graph is distance, not time. You can have the graph show you the energy consumption for the past 5, 15, or 30 miles.

actualsize

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Having spent a lot of time in the S and the X, I really miss not having this in the 3. Glad to see it's finally coming on line. Interesting to see the dark "range par" line at, what, about 250 Wh/mi? The data I've been keeping suggests it'd have to be lower than that to get the rated range. I was guessing 220 based on past experience.

Anyway, this is really helpful on a long trip. It's also interesting to see how it rockets up to fill the entire screen when accelerating and climbining a grade, then dips way down to the bottom when descending. On flat ground this gives really good instant feedback to help you get more miles out of the car. Having had it before, I've really missed it.

Bokonon

M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Interesting to see the dark "range par" line at, what, about 250 Wh/mi?
Yes, rated battery-to-wheels efficiency is about 252 Wh/mi (78,200 Wh / 310 mi). Those numbers are about accurate for the AWD variants, but are high for the RWD powertrain which was derated from 334 miles. (334 miles would get you about 234 Wh/mi.)

Random aside: Teslafi's default efficiency par is about 220 Wh/mi. I'm not sure how they came up with this number, so I used their efficiency multiplier setting to recalibrate it to around 252.

Bokonon

M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I played around with the new Energy screen this morning on my 9-mile commute to work and took a few pictures of it in action. (Apologies in advance for the blurry/psychadelic cell-phone pics!)

But before I get into that, I just wanted to point out a couple of minor changes to the energy-efficiency *cards* (in the lower-left portion of the screen) in V9:
  • The order of the cards has changed. Previously, Trip A and Trip B were at the top, followed by Since Last Charge and Current Drive. The new order is: Current Drive, Since Last Charge, Trip A, and Trip B. (To everyone who made Trip A their "Lifetime" efficiency tracker because it was at one end of the deck and is now annoyed that it's second-to-the-end: I feel your pain! :eek:)

• When you scroll vertically between the cards, the current card "snaps" to the top of the viewing pane when you let go. This makes it easier to flip from one consumption timeframe to another without micromanaging the precise position of the card.... BUT it also means you can no longer view more than one timeframe at a time. (I liked to view both Current Drive and Since Last Charge at the same time.)
As for the Energy screen itself: as you saw in @joelliot's screenshot above, "Consumption" mode plots your car's energy consumption over the past 5, 15, or 30 miles, and projects your remaining range based on either your instantaneous consumption or average consumption over the selected time period. When you first update to V9, you'll find that this graph is already populated with consumption data that was recorded while you were still running V8.1 -- sweet!

To use "Trip" mode, you'll need to enter a destination in your car's navigation system. Once you do this, Trip mode will plot your battery's expected state of charge over the course of the trip. (For shorter trips, like my 9-mile commute, tap the "+" button to near the top of the graph to zoom in the Y-axis, otherwise you'll be staring at a flat line! :p)

20181009_120537.jpg

As you embark upon your trip, the red "location" arrow at the bottom of the graph will move from left to right along the X-axis, and you'll be able to see a gray line on the graph as well. This gray line represents the original estimate for the trip, while the green line shows your actual state of charge for the distance you've covered plus an estimate for the remainder of the trip. In the picture below, I'm 1.3 miles into my trip, and I'm consuming slightly more energy than the car had projected, as indicated by the fact that the green line is below the gray line.

20181009_120624.jpg

(Side-note: no, that car in my passenger-side blind spot did not actually side-swipe me! :eek:)

For this particular trip, my consumption was about 10-20% above the car's estimate for most of the way, but I ended up catching up at the end thanks to slower traffic and better luck with stoplights. Based on what you see in the "current drive" card in the picture below, the car seems to have estimated consumption of about 230-235 Wh/mi for this route, which includes two major hills and a net elevation loss of about 75 feet. That number strikes me as a little optimistic for an AWD Model 3, so I'd be curious to know whether rated powertrain efficiency factors into the estimate at all:

20181009_120723.jpg

All said, though, I'm glad that the Energy screen is finally here! Looking forward to trying it out on a longer, 180-mile round-trip I have planned for this weekend.

Lovesword

Top-Contributor
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I played around with the new Energy screen this morning on my 9-mile commute to work and took a few pictures of it in action. (Apologies in advance for the blurry/psychadelic cell-phone pics!)

But before I get into that, I just wanted to point out a couple of minor changes to the energy-efficiency *cards* (in the lower-left portion of the screen) in V9:
  • The order of the cards has changed. Previously, Trip A and Trip B were at the top, followed by Since Last Charge and Current Drive. The new order is: Current Drive, Since Last Charge, Trip A, and Trip B. (To everyone who made Trip A their "Lifetime" efficiency tracker because it was at one end of the deck and is now annoyed that it's second-to-the-end: I feel your pain! :eek:)

• When you scroll vertically between the cards, the current card "snaps" to the top of the viewing pane when you let go. This makes it easier to flip from one consumption timeframe to another without micromanaging the precise position of the card.... BUT it also means you can no longer view more than one timeframe at a time. (I liked to view both Current Drive and Since Last Charge at the same time.)
As for the Energy screen itself: as you saw in @joelliot's screenshot above, "Consumption" mode plots your car's energy consumption over the past 5, 15, or 30 miles, and projects your remaining range based on either your instantaneous consumption or average consumption over the selected time period. When you first update to V9, you'll find that this graph is already populated with consumption data that was recorded while you were still running V8.1 -- sweet!

To use "Trip" mode, you'll need to enter a destination in your car's navigation system. Once you do this, Trip mode will plot your battery's expected state of charge over the course of the trip. (For shorter trips, like my 9-mile commute, tap the "+" button to near the top of the graph to zoom in the Y-axis, otherwise you'll be staring at a flat line! :p)

View attachment 15774

As you embark upon your trip, the red "location" arrow at the bottom of the graph will move from left to right along the X-axis, and you'll be able to see a gray line on the graph as well. This gray line represents the original estimate for the trip, while the green line shows your actual state of charge for the distance you've covered plus an estimate for the remainder of the trip. In the picture below, I'm 1.3 miles into my trip, and I'm consuming slightly more energy than the car had projected, as indicated by the fact that the green line is below the gray line.

View attachment 15775

(Side-note: no, that car in my passenger-side blind spot did not actually side-swipe me! :eek:)

For this particular trip, my consumption was about 10-20% above the car's estimate for most of the way, but I ended up catching up at the end thanks to slower traffic and better luck with stoplights. Based on what you see in the "current drive" card in the picture below, the car seems to have estimated consumption of about 230-235 Wh/mi for this route, which includes two major hills and a net elevation loss of about 75 feet. That number strikes me as a little optimistic for an AWD Model 3, so I'd be curious to know whether rated powertrain efficiency factors into the estimate at all:

View attachment 15776

All said, though, I'm glad that the Energy screen is finally here! Looking forward to trying it out on a longer, 180-mile round-trip I have planned for this weekend.
AMAZINGLY DETAILED POST, headless @Bokonon!!

NOGA$4ME

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
fwiw: a 9 ,ile trip is not long enough to see the benefits of this app. in fact the first 15 minutes of driving are skewed by the initial accelerations
Maybe, but I think it was more illustrative of the mode itself, which I did not even know existed, so thanks. I look forward to playing with this some more and hope that maybe it shows waypoints and such on longer trips.

Bokonon

M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
fwiw: a 9 ,ile trip is not long enough to see the benefits of this app. in fact the first 15 minutes of driving are skewed by the initial accelerations
Yep, this is a valid point when it comes to the car's reported efficiency stats in general. Battery and cabin conditioning will cause higher than usual consumption at the beginning of a trip, especially after the car has been sitting idle in the driveway overnight. Trip Mode's estimation likely doesn't take these two factors into account, which would explain why the projection for my relatively short commute seemed optimistic.