V9 Features: Nav on Autopilot

• Please post everything related to v9 (2018.39.x) into the version 9 MEGATHREAD. Please do your part to keep this site organized for everyone by looking around or doing a search BEFORE posting. Thanks

• Winter is here and the forum is starting to get flooded with cold weather threads and posts. Please heed the suggested threads and posts before you post something related to cold weather. This is a great place to start: https://model3ownersclub.com/threads/teslas-in-cold-weather.5271
  • It's OK to discuss software issues here but please report bugs to Tesla directly at servicehelpna@teslamotors.com if you want things fixed.

Derik

M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I got to use the feature for the first real time on my commute this morning (it's 45 miles one way.. so we'll try it again on the way home).

So far it's pretty good. It did suggest a few lane changes and I ignored them because I can see the traffic up ahead would have been worse in the lane it wanted me to be in. So the better choice was just to stay in the slower lane for a bit longer. (All I kept thinking was the opening to office space with it's lane suggestions).

Now part of my drive is in an HOV lane and I'm lucky enough to have an exit directly from the HOV lane right next to my office. But the navigation still doesn't want me to go into the HOV lane even though the allow HOV lane is marked. Once I got in it did fine, but when I approached the exit it wanted me in the right lane of the HOV land and was looking for the freeway exit. Of course there wasn't one there, and the navigation updated after I passed the exit and then figured out I was in the HOV lane. The exit worked flawlessly from the HOV lane then.
Maybe they can add some way to detect if the vehicle is in the HOV lane and update the navigation to show it's in the HOV lane. I'm pretty sure GPS alone doesn't have the accuracy to determine what lane you are in, so it would need to look for the solid yellow / white lines.
Now on the way home tonight I need to see if it'll suggest crossing the solid lines from the HOV lane if the traffic is moving better on the other side. Hopefully it's smart enough to not suggest that maneuver. But we will see!
Overall this is a pretty amazing improvement and I give it a full 2 thumbs up. It's only going to get better as time goes on. Have I said how much I love this car lately?

Trknz

Country
Country
I had the chance to test this out more fully during my commute today -

Good:

- Kept the Lane much better at a split in the highway to my office, whereas it would veer right before
- Took my exit home nicely, signaled and started to turn off the exit with NOA disengaging about halfway to the merge point

Not so great:

- While it notifies you about upcoming exits / proper lane positioning it does so much later than I would prefer - about a mile out vs. 2 -3.
- The exit off of the first highway I take forced NOA to disengage about 30 yards before the exit - it is a pretty curvey exit so I guess it’s just not supported yet?
- My work exit requires me to merge over to the right hand lane (against traffic from another road) before taking an exit on the right off the highway. It waited until I was less than a half mile from my exit traveling at 70MPH before starting to signal me to move over a lane - need to merge and slow down much earlier so I had to take over.

Definitely cool to see progress here but a ways to go yet...the one exit at least was a good example as to how it should work vs the two that didn’t work out so well.

RichEV

M3OC Supporting Member
Country
Country
Not so great:

- While it notifies you about upcoming exits / proper lane positioning it does so much later than I would prefer - about a mile out vs. 2 -3.
Which NOA setting were you on?

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I got to use the feature for the first real time on my commute this morning (it's 45 miles one way.. so we'll try it again on the way home).

So far it's pretty good. It did suggest a few lane changes and I ignored them because I can see the traffic up ahead would have been worse in the lane it wanted me to be in. So the better choice was just to stay in the slower lane for a bit longer. (All I kept thinking was the opening to office space with it's lane suggestions).

Now part of my drive is in an HOV lane and I'm lucky enough to have an exit directly from the HOV lane right next to my office. But the navigation still doesn't want me to go into the HOV lane even though the allow HOV lane is marked. Once I got in it did fine, but when I approached the exit it wanted me in the right lane of the HOV land and was looking for the freeway exit. Of course there wasn't one there, and the navigation updated after I passed the exit and then figured out I was in the HOV lane. The exit worked flawlessly from the HOV lane then.
Maybe they can add some way to detect if the vehicle is in the HOV lane and update the navigation to show it's in the HOV lane. I'm pretty sure GPS alone doesn't have the accuracy to determine what lane you are in, so it would need to look for the solid yellow / white lines.
Now on the way home tonight I need to see if it'll suggest crossing the solid lines from the HOV lane if the traffic is moving better on the other side. Hopefully it's smart enough to not suggest that maneuver. But we will see!
Overall this is a pretty amazing improvement and I give it a full 2 thumbs up. It's only going to get better as time goes on. Have I said how much I love this car lately?
For me it did not suggest moving out of HOV while the lines were solid. Worked well in that regard

BlueMeanie

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I drove with NoA from Cincinnati to Dayton yesterday with zero inputs from me (other than the nags).

It negotiated construction zones, lane shifts, and exits flawlessly. It let cars merge in front as they entered the highway, sometimes slowing down to let them in.

I am, overall, very impressed!

beastmode13

M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
2018.42.3 MadMax mode NOA. All four lanes changes in the video were made with NOA. I was pleasantly surprised that it made lane changes with much tighter space than previous versions of AutoPilot. For what is worth, there is still much work needs to be done. 90 minutes later I was in denser traffic, the NOA didn't work as well, it lacks the LA Traffic mode.

AZBMT

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
For me it did not suggest moving out of HOV while the lines were solid. Worked well in that regard
The issue I have here in the Phoenix area is that Autopilot OR NOA will not let me cross the carpool solid line, even though it is permitted here.

evannole

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I had two very positive experiences with Nav on Autopilot this evening on my commute home, both on the I-75/I-85 "Downtown Connector" in Atlanta.

First, I was in the HOV/Diamond lane, all the way to the left, in fairly heavy traffic. While I was moving at about 30 mph, another car decided to hop in the HOV lane in front of me. There was plenty of room, and it was a perfectly legitimate move, but prior versions of EAP would not have reacted to this car's moving into my lane until it was all the way in, at which point EAP would slow rather suddenly and awkwardly. It didn't take me long to decide that this was not desirable behavior, and I had developed the habit of disengaging EAP and just slowing manually when I saw people starting to cut over. In this case, however, the car clearly saw the other vehicle cutting in, and slowed gradually and gracefully to let them in, just as a courteous human driver would. This is a big step, in my book. Minimizing the need for manual intervention in common scenarios is what will make it more or a truly useful, reliable tool and less of a novelty, and I think it's getting pretty close in that regard.

About two miles later, the Downtown Connector splits, with three lanes of I-75 NB going off to the right, and three of I-85 off to the left. The HOV lane remains on the far left, and has the opposite split; if you stay straight, you remain on I-85, while if you exit to the left, you'll go under I-85 and meet up with I-75, in the dedicated I-75 HOV lane, on which I have drawn a red arrow on this image:
D99BE72C-7EB4-4659-8329-3CAC54D1558A.jpeg
This evening, Nav on Autopilot initially wanted me to start moving over from the Diamond lane to the regular I-75 lanes on the right, but since the HOV lane was moving better and I didn't want to cut across three lanes of traffic, I ignored the requests, and it eventually stopped asking me to change lanes. The GPS directions on the screen showed my next move being 11 miles north on I-75 in Marietta. As I approached the spot where the HOV lane splits off, however, the car put on its LEFT blinker and veered perfectly off to the left onto the I-75 HOV lane, exactly as I wanted it to. I actually said aloud, "Magic!" This is not really such a big feature in and of itself, since it's pretty much just as easy for me to take the exit as it is to allow (and monitor) the car's doing it. But this really shows us what could be possible in the not so distant future, which is pretty exciting. I have little doubt that things are just going to keep getting better. I can't get over how much EAP has improved in the 3+ months I have owned the car.

garsh

Dis Member
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
On my commute home yesterday, NOA kept telling to switch from the right lane to the next lane to "continue on my route". But there was no need to do so - I was perfectly fine to stay in the right lane in all three cases - the right lane didn't end, or turn into an "exit-only" lane, or anything like that.

And to clarify, it was not recommending that I switch lanes to pass a slower vehicle. I *was* the slow vehicle in the right lane with nothing in front of me.

garsh

Dis Member
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
2. The display. I confirmed that when there's a decision, the blue "nav on autopilot" line highlights the *wrong* path, while a grey line highlights the path that navigation says to take. In my case, the "wrong" path is straight, while the navigation path curves away to the left - it may simply be that NOA displays the straight path always. The car signals & takes the correct path, but I don't understand why the blue line is showing the other direction in this case. It's confusing.
I took a short 5-second video showing this behavior. Sorry for the lack of stabilization and the vertical video. I was keeping one hand on the wheel and my eyes on the road, but I still feel guilty for recording a video while driving.

Derik

M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

So on my way home it actually told me to use the HOV onramp. Paid a bit closer attention to the lane markings on the screen and it doesn't even show the other lanes as options to move into. So it must be reading the solid white lines as do not cross. Glad it does that!. Ride back into work again tried to get me to exit at HOV lane, but this time it didn't recalculate fast enough and I had to disable NOA and exit normally because it would have missed the offramp.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I don't have the HOV stickers yet so don't have access to HOV lanes. I have the HOV lanes setting turned off in navigation, yet the NOA tried twice to switch into the faster HOV lane to my left. Reported both incidents as a bug report. On another occasion, I confirmed a lane change to the right. The car started moving right and half way through the lane change a semi had started merging into the same lane. The car didn't even seem to notice. I had to take over and get back in my lane to prevent from being rolled over by a semi.

Again, this is awesome stuff, but requires a higher degree of attentiveness than any other previous autopilot features. Drive carefully friends! I saw a lady in a model X yesterday texting during a lane change. Watch for them Teslas! haha

Rich M

Top-Contributor
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I got a popup while using NoA yesterday: "Construction Detected" on entering a construction zone, but it disappeared before I could read the second line of text, so I'm not sure what it was suggesting. It continued navigating just fine.

slasher016

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I got a popup while using NoA yesterday: "Construction Detected" on entering a construction zone, but it disappeared before I could read the second line of text, so I'm not sure what it was suggesting. It continued navigating just fine.
It says something along the lines of "Navigate on Auto-Pilot may be limited." I've had the same experience; it detected it then immediately went away.

GDN

M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Using NOA it doesn't detect if I don't take a suggested exit until I am past it. Twice this week on the way home I used NOA. It suggests that I should take the Tollway I was on for a few miles and then exit a city street and cut through to be faster than the stop and go traffic I was in. I didn't want to, I wanted to remain where I was and then connect to 635, a freeway. I wanted NOA to navigate and get me closer to home even if it was slower.

Two different days, two different exits, I didn't move over to the right as it suggested to exit. NOA was aware of all 3 lanes and knew I was in the middle lane. It knew I had not moved over, so it truly should have known I didn't exit. However as I moved forward in traffic it continued to say, turn right in 400 ft. Turn right on Royal Lane, etc. When in fact I was not on the access road, I was still on the Tollway and could not turn if I wanted to. Again, the display still showed me in the middle lane and GPS should have been able to determine I wasn't on the access road, but it wanted to give directions to continue to navigate as though I was.

If I'd been moving 70 MPH I would think that maybe it didn't have time to catch up, but unfortunately it was stop and go and took almost 30 seconds from the exit I passed to where I crossed over the road it was telling me to turn on.

Small tweaks I'm sure they'll get to, but it is typically so fast and good at rerouting, I wouldn't expect this to be a challenge.

NR4P

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I tried NOA yesterday.

When there was a problem, such as car slowing in front of me, it asked me (via the screen) to turn on the directional signal to move over.
And when I approached the exit, it asked me to put on directional signal before it would move.

If it doesn't signal on its own, and I have to look at the screen, and then signal, that's more work than I did before. (I didn't look at the screen before). And my eyes come off the road more often now.

Is this the normal behavior?

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I tried NOA yesterday.

When there was a problem, such as car slowing in front of me, it asked me (via the screen) to turn on the directional signal to move over.
And when I approached the exit, it asked me to put on directional signal before it would move.

If it doesn't signal on its own, and I have to look at the screen, and then signal, that's more work than I did before. (I didn't look at the screen before). And my eyes come off the road more often now.

Is this the normal behavior?
I understand the incremental nature of NoA, but I totally agree. I'm finding that it's way more stressful constantly checking the screen fro messages. Also, as I now wear glasses for close up, i can no longer quickly switch back and forth. I realize that the screen also shows the blue path finder line but I'm still looking back and forth...

...incidentally, on way home took this video. Takes AR to a whole new level ! (had really cool video from dashcam of a blue line in middle road on way home, but can't upload ;-( )

garsh

Dis Member
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
On my commute home yesterday, NOA kept telling to switch from the right lane to the next lane to "continue on my route". But there was no need to do so - I was perfectly fine to stay in the right lane in all three cases - the right lane didn't end, or turn into an "exit-only" lane, or anything like that.

And to clarify, it was not recommending that I switch lanes to pass a slower vehicle. I *was* the slow vehicle in the right lane with nothing in front of me.
I've now spent about 9 hours driving with Nav on Autopilot, and I now better understand the circumstances that cause this bug. This only happens when I'm passing either an off-ramp or an on-ramp. It doesn't *consistently* happen when I'm passing a ramp, but I have to be passing a ramp in order for it to occur.

It's a strange bug.