voice control: master list of commands?

• Please post everything related to v9 (2018.39.x) into the version 9 MEGATHREAD. Please do your part to keep this site organized for everyone by looking around or doing a search BEFORE posting. Thanks

• It's OK to discuss software issues here but please report bugs to Tesla directly at servicehelpna@teslamotors.com if you want things fixed.
Country
Country
The online manual is lacking i.r.t. all voice commands available. Is there a master list kept somewhere? If not, can we start one here? :-D

Edit:
Since people aren't aware of one, I assume it doesn't exist and I just volunteered myself :tonguewink:
Here is an editable Google Docs for people to contribute into:
https://tinyurl.com/teslavoice
https://preview.tinyurl.com/teslavoice (if you want to see the full google URL first)

Last edited:

SoFlaModel3

Team Midnight Silver
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Play "song" by "artist"
Navigate to "home"
Navigate to "work"
Navigate to "location name"
Navigate to "address"
Call "### ### ####"
Call "Person" "Device Type"

There's a running start ;)

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Play "song" by "artist"
Navigate to "home"
Navigate to "work"
Navigate to "location name"
Navigate to "address"
Call "### ### ####"
Call "Person" "Device Type"

There's a running start ;)
How strict does the language need to be? IE, instead of “navigate to...” can you say “go to..” or “we are going home” or “let’s go to...” or “Where is a coffeehouse” ? In other words, how AI-ish is it?

Country
Country

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
:) I guess I'm asking for some sort of master page/document listing all known commands by category vs. a long forum thread where people chime in and it's hard to read. Something like this for Alexa:
https://www.cnet.com/how-to/amazon-echo-the-complete-list-of-alexa-commands/

If one doesn't exist, can we start one here? Where should it go Trevor? Should it be a Google Sheet so all can contribute?
you can take those that are suggested here and edit them into your first post

SoFlaModel3

Team Midnight Silver
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
How strict does the language need to be? IE, instead of “navigate to...” can you say “go to..” or “we are going home” or “let’s go to...” or “Where is a coffeehouse” ? In other words, how AI-ish is it?
I’ll try to test this out. I have gravitated toward what I knew worked.

garsh

Dis Member
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

tivoboy

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
What have people found to be the issue when the voice just doesn't work for SOME things.

For example, I say "take me to Napa, CA" it reads it out on the screen correctly, does nothing "try again"
"directions to Napa, CA". Again, reads is correctly but does nothing.
"route to Napa, CA" same thing
"get directions to Napa, CA", same thing, nothing. RETRY.

Sometimes I can say "NAPA, CA", and it does directions.

Is this the way it is supposed to work? I've tried the two button hold screen reboot several times.

It will do things for example "play CNN", or "play Dave Matthews", and that seems to work.

Directions, routing with the above commands, really nearly NEVER.

SoFlaModel3

Team Midnight Silver
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
What have people found to be the issue when the voice just doesn't work for SOME things.

For example, I say "take me to Napa, CA" it reads it out on the screen correctly, does nothing "try again"
"directions to Napa, CA". Again, reads is correctly but does nothing.
"route to Napa, CA" same thing
"get directions to Napa, CA", same thing, nothing. RETRY.

Sometimes I can say "NAPA, CA", and it does directions.

Is this the way it is supposed to work? I've tried the two button hold screen reboot several times.

It will do things for example "play CNN", or "play Dave Matthews", and that seems to work.

Directions, routing with the above commands, really nearly NEVER.
Try “Navigate to Napa, California”

Country
Country
I’ve found it only likes certain trigger words. “Directions” doesn’t work but “navigate” does for me.
Edit: here's what the manual says:
To search for, or navigate to, a location, say "Where is", "Drive to", or "Navigate to", followed by an address, business name, business category, or landmark. For example, "Where is Stanford University?", "Drive to Tesla in Palo Alto", or "Navigate to Starbucks on Homestead in Cupertino".

Last edited:

seaware

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
@LTskier If you own an iPhone you can say "Hey Siri..." to Tesla followed by any command for your iPhone. This transfers the voice command from Tesla to your iPhone and opens up a bunch of new possibilities like...
"Hey Siri what's the weather tomorrow?"
"Hey Siri tell Jane I'll be home in 15 minutes" (to send a text message to Jane)
"Hey Siri did the Giants win?"
...and obviously a bunch more. This works on my Model 3 and I assume other models too.

Last edited:

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
@LTskier If you own an iPhone you can say "Hey Siri..." to Tesla followed by any command for your iPhone. This transfers the voice command from Tesla to your iPhone and opens up a bunch of new possibilities like...
"Hey Siri what's the weather tomorrow?"
"Hey Siri tell Jane I'll be home in 15 minutes" (to send a text message to Jane)
"Hey Siri did the Giants win?"
...and obviously a bunch more. This works on my Model 3 and I assume other models too.
These are all just iPhone/Siri commands, doesn’t have anything to do with the car, besides going over the car’s Bluetooth (ie, works in any car w bt)

tivoboy

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
These are all just iPhone/Siri commands, doesn’t have anything to do with the car, besides going over the car’s Bluetooth (ie, works in any car w bt)
yeah, I think he meant (as is the case) that is simply activates SIRI on the phone through the bluetooth. I've used it this way on many cars, seems to work the same way in the M3.

LucyferSam

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Odd the voice commands for navigation always work for me even if the box that pops up completely butchers what I said.
Yea, only times I've ever had "Navigate To" not work is when I was in a cellular dead zone, in which case no voice commands work because it appears to upload them for processing rather than doing it locally (not that with navigate it would do much anyway as it can't pull new map data without a cell connection).

Country
Country
Car cell connectivity is a good point, hadn't thought of that but I bet you're right LucyferSam.
Regarding Siri, yes that's an option for iPhone users like myself but I find Siri to be awful. So many things I'd expect it to answer results in "I can search the web for that" Ugh. I wish Tesla would implement the web browser in Model 3... I'd prefer a web search that way, while on autopilot of course :wink: