1. Tesla Model 3 apparel now available!

Dismiss Notice

VW announces new plan to build 2 to 3 million all-electric cars a year by 2025

Discussion in 'News from Electrek.co' started by RSSFeed, Jun 16, 2016.

More threads by RSSFeed
  1. RSSFeed

M3OC RSS Bot
    Expand Collapse

[​IMG]

Earlier this year – not long after the Dieselgate scandal – the Volkswagen Group announced a new direction for its lineup of vehicles with a plan to introduce 20 new electric vehicles through the group’s brands by the end of the decade.

Today, the automaker extended the timeline to 2025 and said that it will introduce “more than 30 new electric vehicles during the next 10 years”. Earlier this year, CEO Matthias Müller was talking about both all-electric and plug-in hybrids, but now he is making a statement to go all-electric and confirmed that the “more than 30 new models” will all be “purely battery-powered electric vehicles (BEVs)”. more…

Filed under: Cars, Volkswagon eGolf Tagged: Dieselgate, Electric car, electric vehicle, sustainable mobility, Volkswagen, Volkswagen Group, VW [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG]

Continue reading...

2. Topher

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Maine
    This is what they need to do, if they want to restore any customer confidence.

Thank you kindly.

3. Mad Hungarian

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Montreal, QC
    Even though I've just thrown every spare egg in the TSLA basket (not to mention ordered the car), as a long time VAG owner and fan I'd really love to see them become a serious EV competitor down the road. It fits in with Elon's vision of accelerating the switch, and healthy competition will keep everyone on their toes.

4. Badback

Valued Community Member
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Prior Lake, MN
    Country
    I would happily be buying an eGolf right now if the stupid people at VW USA would sell them in Minnesota. What is with VW and all of it's restrictive and timid marketing?

5. garsh

Dis Member
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Pittsburgh PA
    Country
    The eGolf is just a compliance car. They're not making money and don't want to sell it unless they have to.

6. Mad Hungarian

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Montreal, QC
    Sad and indeed true, as is the case with a few similar offerings from other manufacturers. This is why I'm so glad to see the VW group stepping up their EV commitment. This will hopefully prod others into doing the same, although the Model 3 order frenzy has already woken many a sleeping giant.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. garsh

Dis Member
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Pittsburgh PA
    Country
    One of my coworkers bought an eGolf. He ended up flying down to Washington D.C. to buy one, then rented a U-Haul and trailer to bring it back. But he likes it.

8. TrevP

M3OC Founder / Administrator
    Founder
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Aurora,Ontario
    Country
    I think my wife would do the same. She's a long time VW Owner. Lately she's been talking about trading in her car and was asking if they had any EVs. I told her the eGolf is very nice but not available in Canada. She's not impressed.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Mad Hungarian

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Montreal, QC
    Well... if she wants to stay in the family there IS the Audi A3 e-tron, which is a crazy bargain here (relatively speaking) as the MSRP is only $1K more in Canada than the U.S., effectively a 30% discount at the moment.
    I actually would have considered it as an interim solution but the lack of AWD was a deal-breaker for me.
    Now of course the paltry 28 km all-electric range isn't impressive, but if your wife's commute is on the short side it might work. And if she's anything like mine the lack of range anxiety is a huge plus (I'm working on getting her into a pre-owned Volt as a gateway drug).

10. Mad Hungarian

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Montreal, QC
    Update: I was at the World Electric Vehicle Symposium yesterday and the folks at VW told me that we'll be getting the updated e-Golf in Canada around this time next year. Supposed to have much greater range, possibly as high as 300 kms.

• Like Like x 1
  11. TrevP

M3OC Founder / Administrator
    Founder
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Aurora,Ontario
    Country
    300Kms would be very nice and an easy ICE replacement for her 2009 Golf. She only has 36K on it as she doesn't drive it much but she's keen on EVs and likes the Golf a lot. I'll have to get to take a test drive when they're available. Yesterday she said to me we won't be able to plug in both cars because the plugs are different. Oy... I thought I had educated her properly, looks like I have a bit more work to do! I told her we'd just get a couple of NEMA 14-50s installed and we'd be good :)

12. Mad Hungarian

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Montreal, QC