1. Model 3 is coming. Get your Model 3 Owners Club apparel today!

Dismiss Notice

Web page translation

Discussion in 'Off topic' started by Guy Weathersby, Jan 22, 2017.

More threads by Guy Weathersby
  1. Guy Weathersby

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Poway CA
    Years ago Chrome started offering to translate web pages. I tried it a few times the results were sort of useful. I could, with some effort figure out what it was trying to say, but it was painfully bad English. So I avoided non-English pages. A couple of weeks ago someone posted a link to a Der Spiegle article which sounded interesting so I clicked. As expected the page came up in German with a message box offering to translate it into English. With some trepidation I pressed the translate button.

To my surprise the resulting page was very readable. I would not say that I was perfect, but I seen many English language sites which had worse grammar. Since then I have read Danish, French, and Italian sites. The translations were all easy to read.

I had heard that in recent months Google translation had improved remarkably, but I was amazed.

Two points seem relevant to this group. First if someone posts a link to a foreign language page, give it a try, at least if you are using Chrome.

Second, the spectacular improvements in translation give me even greater hope for autonomous cars.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
  2. Michael Russo

Top-Contributor
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Pau, France
    Tesla Owner:
    Reservation
    Country
    [QUOTE="Guy Weathersby, post: 14995, member: 1893" (...) Two points seem relevant to this group. First, if someone posts a link to a foreign language page, give it a try, at least if you are using Chrome. (...)[/QUOTE]
    Thanks for sharing, @Guy Weathersby !!
    Since I'm the one who posted the article in German, though I then tried to provide key takeaways in English, I'm pleased to know there is a way for more here to benefit from it! :)

3. MelindaV

☰ > 3
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Vancouver, WA
    Tesla Owner:
    Reservation
    Country
    Another way to use google translate in any browser is to copy the web address of the page to be translated, browse to translate.google.com and paste the address into the text box. It will provide a translated version of the original.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. Gabzqc

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Helsinki, Finland
    Country
    Google translate is great at common, well known, well understood languages. Unfortunately Finnish does not fall into any of those categories! DOH!

• Like Like x 1