Welcome...J.A.R.V.I.S.

Discussion in 'Tesla Experiences' started by MGallo, Apr 14, 2018.

1. MGallo

J.A.R.V.I.S. is awesome!
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    On Saturday 4/7/18, two years and one week after standing in line with my (then (11 year old daughter) at 6AM and plunking down $1000 (two actually) for a car nobody had even seen yet, delivery day finally came, and immediately after getting in my shiny new Telsa Model 3 at the Fremont Delivery Hub, s/he was named. And so I present J.A.R.V.I.S.

I can honestly say that this is an amazing car and well worth the wait. Y'all will love it.

BTW @TrevP , everyone loved my shirt and were taking pictures of it. Someone came in on 3/31 (two years to the day) for a delivery and also had one.

delivery.jpg

• Like Like x 11
    • Love it! Love it! x 10
    • Winner Winner x 3
  2. MGallo

J.A.R.V.I.S. is awesome!
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    And now for a little bit about the delivery experience. the folks at the FDH are super nice and genuinely excited for the new owners and passionate about the cars. Big smiles and welcomes and congratulations upon arrival.

Our delivery time was 3:15 PM Saturday 4/7/18. We arrived right on time. They were naturally busy, though not crazily so. Maybe 6-8 pickups.

The first thing they ask you to do is download the app (like duh, who hasn't already done that). I would actually suggest not downloading it until shortly before pickup to get the latest version. I tried logging in beforehand and got the message 'there are no products associated with your account' until Tesla does that on delivery day.

The first thing I noticed was that it was only charged to 176 miles. I read on this forum later that is common and may be the optimal charge level for storage. Knowing that I was going to have to trickle charge at home (that's a topic for a different post), I asked them to supercharge it to 90%. They were happy do so, but I think that really messed us up. We ended up being there for over 2 hours before even seeing my car because I think I messed with their cadence. Here is the view from my first sit where you can see the 90 % charge, time (2:11 after arrival) and the row of cars in front of us. There were two more rows just like it on the other side of that wall.

leaving charge.jpg

The paperwork says 50 miles (they all do), but J.A.R.V.I.S. had 9 miles at a pickup. See thumbnail of app screenshot.

Now this was cool. The phone app can locate your car and you (your phone) as well. It is incredibly accurate. We literally were at the front of the building (not near the windows) and the supercharger is against the back wall.

delivery center app gps.jpg

A few tips for pickup.
    1. If you ask to have your car charged up, expect a good hour delay.
    2. In Fremont, there is a 3 and an X on the floor for software demos/tutorials. You will only get about 15 minutes with your car and then be encouraged to do a deep dive on the software functionality (Matt was great). I highly recommend that if you are going to wait, do that beforehand (especially if you are waiting for it to charge) so you can get on the road sooner after sitting in your actual car.
    3. Paperwork was pretty painless. Funnily, our DS John forgot to take my check. I guess he was as excited as I was.
    4. Browse the merch. I bought a T hat finally. They have some cool shirts and sweatshirts.
    5. Barista! Grab a Ludicrous Latte (4 espresso shots!) or a Ghirardhelli hot chocolate.
    6. Plan to do your walkthrough outside (unless it's raining of course). You will only get 15 minutes with your car inside under the lights. My checklist findings in another post. HIGHLY recommend printing the checklist found elsewhere on the forum (or was it TMC?).
    7. When you leave Fremont, turn right and about 1/2 mile down Fremont Blvd. is the holding lot which is Model 3 Nirvana. See thumbnail.
    8. Bring ibuprofin because your face is going to hurt from smiling once you drive this incredible car.
    9. Have a blast!!

first drive smile.jpg

Attached Files:

• Like x 12
    • Informative x 5
    • Winner x 2
    • Agree x 1
    • Funny x 1
  3. MGallo

J.A.R.V.I.S. is awesome!
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    Okay, let's talk checklist. Search this site for 'checklist' and find one that you like, print it and bring it. Just don't expect to use it upon first site. As I said above, you will only get about 15 minutes with your new baby before they usher you out to the demo cars. That said, you can take as much time as you want in the parking lot.

Here are a few things I found, one of them fairly major. Note that I am very detail oriented. Some these might be zero concern for you.

1. There is a blemish of sorts by the rear tailight. they thought it was buffing compound (kind of their standard answer). See thumbnail tail light plastic. I can live with it.

2. Small scratch on drivers side door chrome strip. It feathers up from the bottom. Didn't actually see this until we got home. Not sure if anything can be done about it. I might ask my detailer to look at it. More on that in a future post.

3. Left rear tail light protrudes a little bit more than the other. Not a huge deal.

4. Bottom corner of the back armrest is not quite even (my 13 year old actually spotted this one too).

5. This one kind of bugs me. The trunk seal sticks up. They said it won't affect the seal or increase the risk of water entering the trunk. Definitely going to have the SC look at this. Interestingly, in the CBS This Morning videos yesterday with Elon you can literally see how they place this seal. This was just poor build quality. See thumbnail.

6. Okay, now for the big one. There was a good swatch on the left rear door where the paint is missing. In fact, it's down to the bare metal and the metal is actually pushed up in one spot (in the middle). The service folks took a look at it and the only thing they can surmise is that after the doors are painted they are supposedly removed to put the guts in them and someone must have swung it around and scraped it against something pretty hard. How this made it through QA is really beyond me. I even thought of tweeting Elon personally on this one. this one understandable really disturbed me.

Unfortunately, the options for remediation are not all that attractive. 1. refuse the car. 2. Repaint the door (probably wouldn't match. 3. Repaint that spot (same issue, and it wouldn't be like factory). 4. Replace the door. Major deal. 5. Touch-up paint and document the issue. In the end, we touched it up and documented the issue. I will have the Dublin SC look at it. I accepted this option because a) I obviously wanted to drive away with the car, b) because of where it is, you really can't see it unless you are looking for it (see thumbnail for zoom out) and c) I live in CA so there is no snow or salt (other than ocean air 30 miles away).

door paint zoom.jpg

Gotta run to try and sell my ICE car. More later!

Attached Files:

• Informative Informative x 9
    • Like Like x 3
  4. azgdds

Expand Collapse

Country
    I would require the taillight, paint, armrest, and seal all be fixed. The seal might just push on, they usually aren't glued. I got a new Ford Expedition that had an imperfection in the leather of the rear seat and a smudge on the leather of the center console, they replaced both, no questions, within a couple weeks.

5. Quicksilver

M3OC Supporting Member
    M3OC Supporting Member
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    @MGallo, thanks for the detail "checklist" findings. You said you could only go through the checklist outside (instead of inside at pickup) so did you fill out a "due bill" document after you did a thorough inspection outside? Did you sign for the car before or after your inspection outside? I hope to pick my 3 up end of April and be ready to go through the checklist.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. MGallo

J.A.R.V.I.S. is awesome!
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    I already have several accessories for J.A.R.V.I.S. The Tesla sunshade, which I don't know if I even need. I am getting tint, though not on the sunroof or back window as it's already pretty dark. I purchased sun visor glasses clip and Wheel Bands from @EVANNEX which I have not installed yet. I also have the Tesla center caps and lug nut covers, but honestly, I'm kind of digging these aero wheels and I haven't even taken them off yet. Also part of the reason I haven't installed the wheel bands yet. I'll post again when I do that. Maybe tomorrow.

I will be getting ClearBra (SunTek) on the front bumper, full hood, front fenders, and 3M Crystalline side window tint (front 40/20 back) and front windshield (75%). I have not even done it yet (4/26), but the place I found to do it is awesome. Everyone here probably knows them because of their YouTube videos. OCDetailing is the place. Joe (the owner who does the videos) is great. He is the main reason I went with them, but also for virtually the same price as the other guys they
    1. use full sheets of product, not the precut kits (not everyone does this)
    2. always do paint correction first (everyone else wanted to charge extra - a lot)
    3. include the headlights and mirrors (most places do the mirrors, but some only included the headlights if I did other stuff)
    4. AND they do the rear splash areas (behind the tires down low)
    5. AND the top of the rear bumper (to protect from bags and luggage)
    6. AND they put a ceramic coating over the bra (it's the one year version, but nobody else even does that)
    7. AND they do a light polish and light ceramic coating over the whole car ("we can't very well make the front all polished and shiny and not do something to the rest of the car")

Their customer service is outstanding. When I was there they had a full wrap (clear) X and Porsche GTS and several 3's. No lines. Couldn't even tell they were wrapped. And once you are a customer, there are other perks to keep you a happy customer for life. I'll let Joe tell you about them. I would suggest going down there to see Joe.

I have a very well known customizing shop less than a mile from me and I am driving 15 miles to OCDetailing. I'll let y'all know how the experience is after it's done.

• Informative Informative x 2
  7. MGallo

J.A.R.V.I.S. is awesome!
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    Good question, Quicksilver. I think I signed the paperwork before I even saw the car because we were trying to save time, which it didn't because of the charging situation and I can't remember if I signed anything afterwards. I have no doubt that they will fix whatever I ask them too. I may go to the SC tomorrow. My wife had the car all day today.

8. 3V Pilot

Top-Contributor
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Reservation
    Country
    So, J.A.R.V.I.S.????????

Just
    Another
    Red
    Vehicle
    Incredibly
    Silent
    :D

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Winner Winner x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  9. fsKotte

Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    This is all great stuff, MGallo. Thanks so much for posting such detailed descriptions of this and all your experiences with the delivery.

And, most of all, thanks for turning me on to that Model 3 Storage parking lot down the street. That was just amazing, when we went by there today. Did you take a drive around that lot? The Security guard guy let us do that, and OMG, it's just about never ending. Every single parking space is taken mostly by 3's, all the way around the central building - left, right, behind and in front. It's at least 1,200 Model 3's there. Just mind boggling.

It's clear they're really starting to pump these things out now . . . .

• Like Like x 2
  10. SoFlaModel3

Team Midnight Silver
    Moderator M3OC Supporting Member
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    Great write up @MGallo and enjoy that beautiful car! Once they take care of the issues (and they will!) it will all feel like a dream each time you get in!

• Like Like x 1
  11. Mike

Top-Contributor
    Expand Collapse

Country
    Excellent detail work.

My hypothesis of the issues you raise: your car was probably assembled during the March "all hands on deck to reach 2000 units a week" event.

As a DIY:

1. The tail light is an easy fix via removal of spacers (washers) being used on the nut/bolt connectors (behind trunk trim) as long as one replenishes the waterproofing mastic.

2. The chrome trim with the micro scratches, probably have to swap that out for a new one unless the trim piece is true stainless steel. If stainless steel, one can achieve a mirror finish with the correct set of abrasives/polishers/etc.

3. The trunk seal is simply pressure fit, I bet you could push it in your self.

4. The rear taillight "blemish" does look like compound, that can be detailed.

5. The rear armrest bottom corner alignment: I assume that is the same spot where the split between the back seat backs is. I'd check the bolts that hold the bottom of the seatback into the brackets that connect to the floor pan. There may be an amount of adjustment available to bring that one edge back into the correct plain.

6. Yea, that door paint gouge is not fun. At least the aluminum door will not flash rust until the spot is addressed. Is the sheet metal actually dented or is the paint simply scraped to the bare metal? If only a simple scrape, a good body man will address that without respraying the whole door. If there is an actual dent......well, that's up to you.....

You don't mention any NVH issues (or software/mechanical issues either).

Have you created another thread for that, or has the car been operating in accordance with manufacturers specifications?

Thanks. Cheers.

• Helpful Helpful x 2
  12. MGallo

J.A.R.V.I.S. is awesome!
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    That's awesome, Mike. The original definition worked so well I didn't even try to think of another. Now you've my wheels turning.

• Like Like x 1
  13. MGallo

J.A.R.V.I.S. is awesome!
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    Like, great DIY info. Or I could let the SC do it on warranty.

As for NVH (which I had to look up), incredibly quiet cabin, no H. We have noticed a shimmy, but we havent determined the exact circumstances to recreate it.

As for software issues, there have been a few.

1. Walk away lock is not working consistently.
    2. A couple of the software toggles reset themselves on startup instead of staying where I put them (like the energy display, but that one seems to have stopped).
    3. The Homelink geo fenced auto open is set to 70' and doesn't open the garage door until 10'. I haven't played with different distances to test it.
    4. The phone key is supposed to work while in your pocket. That has been spotty. I've stood there a few times unable to unlock the door. It has taken either a) taking my phone out (I think this is just timing rather than proximity), b) unlocking it with the phone app, or c) using the card key or d) walk away and come back. Keep your card key handy.
    5. I have noticed a few times when the car had no cellular connection on startup for a minute or so.
    6. And then last night I got this...I powered off (using the actual power off button) and started it again (by simply pressing the brake pedal) and it cleared. Haven't checked it this morning or called service yet.
    image.jpeg

Attached Files:

14. 3V Pilot

Top-Contributor
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Reservation
    Country
    The "Shimmy" might be the "Lane Assist" feature kicking in. Others have mentioned this and turned it off because they don't like it. Check your settings, see if it's active. If it is just steer to one side of the lane and you should feel the wheel vibrate, just like a shimmy.

15. MGallo

J.A.R.V.I.S. is awesome!
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    Thanks, Mike. I'll try that, when it's not raining.

• Like Like x 1
  16. MGallo

J.A.R.V.I.S. is awesome!
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    J.A.R.V.I.S. got it's first software update today. New Chill mode now enabled!

chill.jpg

• Like Like x 4
  17. Kizzy

Top-Contributor
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Reservation
    Country
    Isn't it an option to request a higher charge from your DS before arriving for pickup?

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. MGallo

J.A.R.V.I.S. is awesome!
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    Maybe. I didn’t think of it because I assumed it would be charged up all the way, at least to 80-90%. It was charged to 176 miles.

19. MGallo

J.A.R.V.I.S. is awesome!
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    I just tweeted this at 3:24PM. We'll see if I get a reply
    @elonmusk Love my new 3. Pls send OTA update to enable scheduled charging stop time and use diff schedule for wknd to maximize low PG&E EV rates.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. MGallo

J.A.R.V.I.S. is awesome!
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    Yay! I just found out today that my house WILL support a wall charger and it will only cost $500 to have it installed (plus the charger of course). No more 3 miles per hour charge rate.

• Like Like x 6
    • Winner Winner x 1