1. Tesla Model 3 apparel now available!

Dismiss Notice

West coast East coast

Discussion in 'Reservation tracker' started by chopr147, May 30, 2016.

More threads by chopr147
  1. chopr147

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    New York
    Country
    Ok so I know Elon mentioned the reservations will be going from the west coast first and heading east from there. A friend of mine in Las Vegas just reserved two days ago and it got me thinking. I'm in NY and reserved 4/2. Will he get an M3 before me even though I am far ahead of him on the reservation list? He's a good friend but I want mine first! :)

2. MelindaV

☰ > 3
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Vancouver, WA
    Country
    that is a question only Tesla can answer. We all can guess and speculate on exactly how they will rollout the orders, but it would be just that. My guess/speculation, is the first week's orders will be filled first, West to East then prioritized by staff, current owners, options, etc. Then they will go back and fill the orders that came in after the buzz died down.

3. Pinewold

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Ma
    Imagine that all of these will be done by packages of options ordered. First will be top 20% package by price most likely $48k and above, second will be next 30% will be $44k package, third will be next 30% $40k package and finally base model and few options folks. Could see everyone invited to configure to figure out which options/packages they want.

Factory employees first, make sure they get the line working well fast.

SpaceX employees second, considered a super friendly crowd.

Both of these groups are mostly "local" so would be west coast.

Models S Owners - first deliveries in each market starting with West coast

West coast may end up with first 20k - 30k including all employees and west coast S owners and new to Model 3 just to be safe.

Non Model S (everyone else) , a month's worth at a time, based on whatever the goal is for that month.

4. Topher

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Maine
    Once the initial rollout to employees, then locals, is done (perhaps 20,000 cars?) they will expanding the area out, and soon be delivering mostly by place in line. After the first 50,000 cars or so at most, number in line will be just about the only remaining factor. There is no point in continuing to favor west coast over east coast, You will getting your car FAR before your friend. All IMHO of course.

Thank you kindly.

5. chopr147

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    New York
    Country
    Thank you for the responses. I know I sound selfish :( But the order of delivery will be a point of contention to reservation holders as they are delivered. I can just imagine the vitriol being thrown back/forth on TMC when deliveries start.

6. TrevP

M3OC Founder / Administrator
    Founder
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Aurora,Ontario
    Country
    The sense of entitlement is strong with many ;)

Anecdotally the amount of reservations by current Tesla owners for the Model 3 is smaller than you would think. I think Tesla said is was in the 4% range or something. I'm just glad I got my reservation in when I did (first 18K or so after Tesla and SpaceX reservations) but in the end the car will arrive when it arrives. My lease ends in April 2018 so I'm hoping it lines up as close as possible but even if it's summer no big deal.

7. Topher

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Maine
    True, but I suspect that most people agree 'first come, first served' is the most fair. Tesla does have some business reasons for deviating from a strict following of that; however, they likely recognize that they shouldn't do too much for exactly the reasons you state. This is why they are hiding your actual order number, they can fiddle *slightly* with the order, and have no one notice. If they fiddle in noticeable ways, the screams will be loud. I can't see them wanting to deal with that.

Thank you kindly.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. chopr147

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    New York
    Country
    "This is why they are hiding your actual order number, they can fiddle *slightly* with the order, and have no one notice. "

True. And a good idea for Tesla even if I would like to know where I stand and when etc...... I can live w/o that info. I am thinking about a 24 mo lease for the S now since I do not see my 3 coming before the summer 2018. I am somewhere in the 250k range

9. StephenP

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Apison, TN
    I realize this is a pretty old thread, but I'm new to this website and wanted to ask a question about reservations. We stood in line at a Tesla store in Atlanta and were one of the first to reserve our Model 3 when it opened. I'm wondering if they will give any preference for those who did what? So, I realize it's anybody's guess at this point, but with so many orders more than they expected, they should be able to accomplish the goal of working out the bugs by filling orders of those who stood in line, starting with West and moving East and then after the first wave (115K or so?) is done, go back to West to East with those who waited until after the reveal (or simply first come first serve). Yes, I'm being a bit selfish to want mine sooner, but there's potentially a financial aspect as well with regards to the federal tax credit.

Thoughts?

10. Pinewold

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Ma
    Unfortunately it is all speculation at this point. Your best bet is to wait your turn to reserve and order the best model you can afford.