What rim protectors are you using?

Discussion in 'Customizing & Modifications' started by Ken Voss, May 15, 2018.

1. Ken Voss

M3OC Supporting Member
    M3OC Supporting Member
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    I have 19" sport rims that I would like to keep looking new. I treated the new wheels with Cquartz professional so now just hose them off and they are clean. Now I am considering rim protectors to avoid the possibility of curb rash. I am not into the colored look, just silver/grey to match the wheel, clear would be even better, for me its about protection not changing the appearance.

I thought I would check in with the model 3 community to see if anyone has done this and if you have any recommendations

2. Mike Land

Top-Contributor
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Reservation
    Country
    My primary protection is 3-2-1.

3-mirrors
    2-eyeballs
    1-backup camera

But I also installed a set of rimblades.... Lol. They were easy to install and the black color just looks like part of the tire. Visually I don't think anyone would ever know unless you told them to look for it.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Ken Voss

M3OC Supporting Member
    M3OC Supporting Member
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    @mikeland, thats good to hear, can I bother you for a pic of a wheel with the rimblades installed

4. Mike Land

Top-Contributor
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Reservation
    Country
    20180515_130821.jpg I've got the 18's so it won't look the same as yours but sure, any excuse to walk out and see my car again at this point... Here ya go...

• Like Like x 2
  5. Ken Voss

M3OC Supporting Member
    M3OC Supporting Member
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    You are right ...they really are not noticeable with the Aero wheel, anyone try rimblades or rimsavers on a 19" sport wheel?

6. SoFlaModel3

Team Midnight Silver
    Moderator M3OC Supporting Member
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    I don’t think “wheels bands” look good on silver wheels. On the darker wheels, hey can offer a nice contrast or blend in as well.

After my first curb rash in my history of driving and the subsequent repair I will never do it again :)

• Like Like x 1
  7. tim-sutherland

Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Reservation
    Country
    I ordered rim blades too, but I got new wheels on my 89 BMW 1.5 years ago and I've been really careful not to curb them, so hopefully I'm enough used to being mindful of it that I'll be ok.

That said they look so unnoticeable on the 18" wheels that I figured it was cheap insurance.

8. Rocco Speranza

Expand Collapse

Country
    What are the odds anyone has the Rimblades in orange for the Midnight Silver Metallic? Thinking about getting them to accent the wheels, I know my taste in looks aren't great. ;)

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. mxbzz

Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    EFFAC354-C0DB-4DB9-8935-DB94443B4F6A.jpeg
    I purchased the Turtle Wax rim protectors and they’re alright. The plastic seams fell off instantly after my first drive, so you can obviously tell where I made the cut, and it’s pretty hard to make a perfectly even circle with the liner, but unless someone is staring at your wheels, it’s pretty unnoticeable.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Skione65

Top-Contributor
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Reservation
    Country
    @mxbzz,

Wow! Before I clicked on your thumbnail I thought this will look terrible. But I’m impressed. They look quite good. The color match is astonishing and they are hardly noticeable unless your probably bending down admiring/staring at the wheel (in person may be different?). Still with that they look great! I’ll be considering these for my Sports!

Ski

11. Skione65

Top-Contributor
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Reservation
    Country
    @mxbzz,

So I just looked at the product. 2 things...one concerns me. First you mentioned the’plastic seems’ fell off straight away....I’m assuming those are ‘clips’ to join or cover the split/cut on the ends you mate.
    The second bigger concern is I looked at the packaging and they include ‘Superglue’ for mounting?. That may be a showstopper for me as how removable (cleanly) are they if you want/need to make a change so they come off cleanly as in easy removal. Also is there any superglue residue stuck on/to the rim after removal and if so how easy is it to remove? Superglue is no ones friend unless on a project you NEVER want to separate or come apart!o_O
    Let me know your thoughts!

Thanks!
    Ski

12. mxbzz

Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    D8388D71-66C0-4410-AB78-283278F34626.jpeg
    The super glue is used to connect the plastic seam (which falls off WAY too easily... super glue is not stable with all the vibrations from driving). Here’s a pic with one of the seams still on, ready to fall off.

The rim protector itself is a 3M adhesive— the super glue doesn’t touch the rim at all. Hope that helps!

13. Skione65

Top-Contributor
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Reservation
    Country
    @mxbzz,

Yes it does! Thanks for the clarification as well as photo. I can see exactly what you’re talking about with the seam and clip. Maybe we can figure out a better solution for the joint. Otherwise looks like the 3M tape is sufficient and holds well even at speed? How about just 3Ming the clip over the seam?

Ski

14. raptor

Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Reservation
    Country
    This looks really good!

It seems there are different versions of this product.

Which model did you go with, and where did you get them from? Are you happy with them?

15. Mike Land

Top-Contributor
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Reservation
    Country
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  16. Asad1087

Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Reservation
    Country
    I am looking into getting Alloygator Rim Protectors. They are expensive but don't look like plastic and are installed in between the Rim and tire instead of on the rim via 3M.

Anyone have any experience with them?

17. mxbzz

Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    Just got back from an overseas trip. After not driving the 3 for a week and a half, it looks like the 3M tape is holding really well. I've got a few trips, including one to the service center this coming week so that will be the ultimate test to see if the tape holds up... but so far so good. I even managed to get some dirt on some of the 3M tape (peeled off too much and didn't pay attention to the adhesive dragging on the floor) but it still seems to be holding up well :)

The best solution to hide the seam is probably to cut the protector strip a little closer. The pictures I sent were from my first two tries until I got smarter, and even then it's not too bad.

18. Daniel D.

Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    No
    Country
    Does the adhesive go on the aero cover itself? Are you able to easily remove the aero cover without damaging the rim guard?

19. Mike Land

Top-Contributor
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Reservation
    Country
    I took off the cover to make the install easy, the adhesive goes on the rim. Covers when back on without any issue and I haven't taken them off since but I'm sure it would not cause a problem. It looks like a tight fit in the pic but it's really not.

20. JWardell

Top-Contributor
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Reservation
    Country
    I too am curious on what opinions are on the various options out there. I'm considering getting a set because we often scrape rims on curbs no matter how hard we try, and that's without a car with rims that stick out beyond the tires.

Right now I will probably go for the Evannex ones, I like the two-piece design and judging by pictures it seems like it would look better and less likely to fall off, but they are pricer.

• Like Like x 1