1. Model 3 is coming. Get your Model 3 Owners Club apparel today!

Dismiss Notice

What will you do to your new M3 after delivery?

Discussion in 'Reserving, Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by Chris Lyttle, Sep 13, 2017.

More threads by Chris Lyttle
  1. Chris Lyttle

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Centennial, Colorado
    Country
    I've been reading the last few days about people wanting to put clear bra's on their M3's to preserve the paint. This was something I really had not considered before, but then I've never had a brand new car and tended to just think the car was for getting from a to b. With the M3, I'm in a different place as this is the first time I'm getting a car that I feel excited about owning.

So far I've been looking at getting a spare set of wheels for snow tire swapping and now am thinking about at least getting the front of the car covered with 3M or Xpel. What other things are people thinking of doing to 'preserve' their M3 once they have it in their hands? Are their upgrades or changes that anyone is thinking they would make to the car? I'm curious to know if people think the additions/changes are must do's to keep the car in good condition for a long time as well.

2. SoFlaModel3

Impatiently Waiting
    Moderator M3OC Supporting Member
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    South Florida
    Tesla Owner:
    Reservation
    Country
    For me it's window tint and really nothing else. Tint is going to be tricky to figure out (we have a separate thread on it) because of the all glass window going back. Do you tint the whole thing... do you tint just the rear portion... will you see the line... etc.?

Otherwise nothing really...

I've never put a clear bra on the car. I can say with certainty though if you will apply something like that make sure it covers the entire panel or don't do it at all. Dirt will collect at the edge and it will look worse than what a few road chips over time will do the vehicle.

Beyond that, the car has every toy I can think of already and maxed out my budget.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. SSonnentag

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Peeples Valley, Arizona, USA
    Country
    I've had good luck with the clear protective film on the leading edges of the hood, bumper area and mirrors. It makes bugs so much easier to wash off and protects from rock chips. I think it looks fine as well and can't even be noticed unless you're looking for it. As for the traditional black bras, those are ugly and damage the paint more than they protect it in my opinion.

• Informative Informative x 2
  4. Sandy

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Cobourg, Ontario
    Country
    PPF XPel on the front end only. Protects against Sone,sand and salt chips, the most common form of wear. Nothing on the rest except waxing twice a year. At the end of the day it's still just a car ;) JK

5. Watts4me

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Houston
    I want to wrap all the chrome trim in black. And tint the windows. Also install the blackvue cameras

6. MelindaV

☰ > 3
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Vancouver, WA
    Tesla Owner:
    Reservation
    Country
    I was parked next to one of my co-worker's black cars this afternoon and it was fairly clean, but did have some dust. the line where the clear bra stopped ¼ way up the hood was a solid tan line of dust/dirt. to me, it's way too distracting.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. Thomas Mikl

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Graz, Austria
    Country
    After talking A LOT with a car detailer buddy I came to the conclusion that sadly... nothing beats regular washing and care, plus a good detailer. Be it high-end OptiCoat or a good wax, the difference is mainly how often you need to re-apply. Both get the job done fairly good if you use good products.
    Of course also sadly: You should hand wash the car with 2 bucket method and grid guard buckets...

So I will do regular washing and use a good Colinite wax every 6 months.

However that does not stop me from going a little "wrappy" as I want my aero covers wrappen in carbon vinyl and maybe the Tesla logos as this could look cool on the red car.

• Like Like x 2
  8. SoFlaModel3

Impatiently Waiting
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    South Florida
    Tesla Owner:
    Reservation
    Country
    I am in complete agreement, which is why I wash weekly and wax monthly! Check my signature for the process :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Rusty

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Ooltewah TN
    Country
    I have a used MS and the previous owner had protective film put on hood and mirrors. It is 5 yesrs old and has a slight line across hood but there are zero chips on the hood after 85,000 miles. All my other cars have had serious chips by this time. I am considering getting the protective film put on our M3 when we get it.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Thomas Mikl

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Graz, Austria
    Country
    That process sounds very cool, I have to try that for the fast weekend wash, currently I am doing something like this:

• Use alloy wheel cleaner and brush wheels down.
    • Foam car with Foam gun (water + Snow Foam + Chemical Guys Citrus Shampoo)
    • Wash car by hand (2 buckets with grid guard, one with Chemical Guys Shampoo, other is for rinse) I use a Meguilars microfiber washing mitt
    • Rinse car down
    • Dry car with Orange Baby drying towel
    • Put tire smooth on tires
    Every 6 month additional steps
    • use car clay to get the paint micro clean (I use blue car clay + Meguilars application spray)
    • Re-dry with Orange Baby
    • Apply Colinite wax with application pad (not circles! just cross application)
    • let it air for 5min
    • develop wax with microfiber wax towel
    So this is a lot more cumbersome than your method, I might try yours to eliminate a few steps. Might still use Colinite, because I just love it hehe.

• Love it! Love it! x 1
  11. SoFlaModel3

Impatiently Waiting
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    South Florida
    Tesla Owner:
    Reservation
    Country
    I have found that with fewer steps and still excellent results I am much more inclined to keep up a weekly process, which is key!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. JWardell

Top-Contributor
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Boston
    Tesla Owner:
    Reservation
    Country
    All the care in the world is not going to stop rock chips.
    And with a vertical painted surface for a bumper, this car is going to take a beating.

I have had clear bras on my last three new cars. They have improved significantly in appearance over the generations, my last being XPel and much more difficult to see, despite being on a black car. They are significantly less visible on lighter colors.
    The older/thicker clear bras did like to wear a line of wax etc at the edge, I could take care with a tooth brush etc to clean it up but ultimately switching to a modern wax that doesn't leave white residue is all you need.

Long gone are the days when I had the time to wash my car every week and go full insane claybar + machine polish every season. Still have a good five shelves of car care products in my basement...

• Like Like x 3
  13. Thomas Mikl

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Graz, Austria
    Country
    I do not know what mountains you guys throw in the US, but a good wax that acually provides a coat does offer some protection. Then only thing I may get (and my KIA is my oldest at 6 years) is micro scratches, but that took me 2 hours of polishing to get rid of.
    Do you guys really get larger chips cut off the cars in the US? I mean I drive on gravel roads etc.

14. Akilae

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Vienna
    Country
    I do :). Two chips are so deep you can see the white color below my midnight grey car :).

15. JWardell

Top-Contributor
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Boston
    Tesla Owner:
    Reservation
    Country
    #15 JWardell, Sep 14, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2017
    Yes, chips through to the metal and all three layers of your precious multicoat paint.
    Bad enough to regularly chip windshields.

Sand and rock salt in the winter, but also constant rubble from our badly crumbling roads year round.
    It doesn't help that we drive a half car length behind each other at 80mph.

I "plan" to wash my cars this weekend, if that actually happens and I remember, I will try to take a photo of what the clear bra looks like, and the chips in the small areas that are not covered.

16. Chris Lyttle

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Centennial, Colorado
    Country
    I would like to see that, especially close up. I agree about the chips, a while back I had a crack in my windshield and got it replace. Wouldn't you know not two days afterwards a rock flies up from the freeway and leaves a huge chip in the middle of it. I was so annoyed. The flat surface at the front of the M3 is definitely a concern for me. Plus my other concern, living in CO, is the snow/salt combo which does a number on paint.

• Like Like x 2
  17. SoFlaModel3

Impatiently Waiting
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    South Florida
    Tesla Owner:
    Reservation
    Country
    Being down south we don't have to deal with messy winter roads, so my biggest concerns for chips come from dump trucks on the highway and actually large trucks in generally kicking things up. I try my best to never trail behind a larger truck and I've generally be fine over the years.

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. Sandy

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Cobourg, Ontario
    Country
    To avoid that its really important to do the full hood and make sure your installer wraps the edges. Doing 1/2 the hood is asking for a dirty visible line across it. The PPF kits sold online usually never have the excess to wrap the edges. This leaves a visible seam at the edge of each panel. PPF is much more about the professional installation than even the product used. However saying that I personally would only use XPel or 3M. Planning full front end with XPel. The installer I will use only does PPF, nothing else. No wraps, no window tint, nothing. He charges more but is totally worth it, especially a few years down the road.

• Like Like x 1
  19. JWardell

Top-Contributor
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Boston
    Tesla Owner:
    Reservation
    Country
    Only the best installers wrap the edges. Worth whatever extra they charge. Still, not every edge can be wrapped due to curvature etc.
    A full hood wrap will cost significantly more.
    You might as well wrap the entire car, and never worry about chips, scratches, or edge lines again. For a slight upcharge...

• Like Like x 1
  20. hazSolar

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Rochester, MN
    Country
    Immediately after delivery I plan to drive the car through some nice MN snowy/salty roads. Get home and smile at the new ride, but be sad by how dirty it got. When the weather finally warms up, I'll get the windows tinted. Currently no plans to wrap/protect the front, but we'll see if I get persuaded by everyone one on here.