What's saved in the Driver's Profile?

• If you haven't taken delivery yet or plan on ordering you can still get the 6 months of FREE Supercharging only until December 31st all Model 3s now qualify! Call or email your Tesla delivery advisor and give them our code
  • Please post everything related to v9 (2018.39.x) into the version 9 MEGATHREAD. Please do your part to keep this site organized for everyone by looking around or doing a search BEFORE posting. Thanks

• Winter is here and the forum is starting to get flooded with cold weather threads and posts. Please heed the suggested threads and posts before you post something related to cold weather. This is a great place to start: https://model3ownersclub.com/threads/teslas-in-cold-weather.5271
  • It's OK to discuss software issues here but please report bugs to Tesla directly at servicehelpna@teslamotors.com if you want things fixed.

ahagge

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
According to the Model 3 Owner's Manual (March 13, 2018 edition):

upload_2018-4-15_7-13-20.png

But as far as I can see in my car with firmware 2018.12.1 b39b759, there is no "See what's saved" button. So I thought I'd start this thread to help other new owners.

Here's a (possibly incomplete) list of what I've discovered to be part of a driver's profile. If you see others, please let me know and I'll add them to the list.
  • Seat position
  • Steering wheel position
  • Quick controls
    • Mirror position
    • Mirror Auto Fold
  • Autopilot
    • Cruise Follow Distance
    • Auto Lane Change (if Autosteer is active)
  • Driving
    • Acceleration
    • Steering Mode
    • Regenerative Braking
    • Creep

Last edited:

Drax

Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country
I’d like to see them get rid of keys in favor for keycards and smart device connectivity across the fleet. As it stands right now though, individual driver profiles can be saved to individual keys for S/X.

If driver profiles could save radio, navigation, mirror/seat position, and all of the other various individualized settings to their specific profiles and then have them accessible across the fleet using keycards and smart devices (phones/watches) it’d be huge!

I’d also like to see the option to make a “valet only” key card.

Twiglett

Top-Contributor
M3OC Supporting Member
Country
Country
Does the current version associate the driver profile to specific phones or keys?
Or do you have to select the profile each time?

PandaM3

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
This is great, I just discovered this yesterday. I was driving around wondering if there is a faster way to access steering and drive settings for whenever the urge arises rather than go into the sub menu and tick all the boxes.

So using the driver settings I've made a virtual M mode (former BMW M car owners know what this is)
So I have made 2 driver's profiles for my wife and 3 for myself.

- Chill Panda Mode (chill drive mode + comfort steering + brakes on regen)
- Panda Race Mode (Standard drive mode + sport steering + brakes on regen)
- Fun Panda Mode (Standard drive mode + Standard steering + brakes on regen)

That way I have quick access to the different modes like an M button:)

I've got corresponding modes for my wife as well...

Only downside is that between each mode the seat moves a smidge... it's odd... they need to fix that in the software.

Beagle

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I second Twiglet's question from a couple of weeks ago. Not that it is that difficult, but do we have to change between our two driver's profiles manually. Knowing that will allow me to ask more difficult questions. ;)

ahagge

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Been told that profiles are resident with phones, they are not with keycards.
As far as I've been able to discern, the answer is "neither". You must select the profile from the center console. Hopefully that will change in the future, as it's a real pain for a tall driver getting in after a short driver drove last time - makes for banged-up knees and heads. :(

Maevra

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
The keycard will just lock/unlock the car. It won't ever be capable of pairing to a "profile" with the current simple tech in the card. Tesla will need to make a fancier key or fob like on the S/X for that to work.

The phone also currently does not save profiles, far as I know currently only S/X key fobs have that capability.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
The keycard will just lock/unlock the car. It won't ever be capable of pairing to a "profile" with the current simple tech in the card. Tesla will need to make a fancier key or fob like on the S/X for that to work.

The phone also currently does not save profiles, far as I know currently only S/X key fobs have that capability.
I'm not so sure about that - each card should have it's own unique private key that the car is able to match to that card's public key. Otherwise, how would they invalidate a lost card?

I don't know if the cards are using public key cryptography, but I thought I read they were.

Maevra

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
I'm not so sure about that - each card should have it's own unique private key that the car is able to match to that card's public key. Otherwise, how would they invalidate a lost card?

I don't know if the cards are using public key cryptography, but I thought I read they were.
Yes the card has its own private key (in fact you can see it on the menu somewhere in security or pairings, I forget) but I was pointing out that we cannot match a key card to a "driver profile". My husband uses his key card 90% of the time and if I was in the car last, he still has to manually change the driver profile to his on the screen.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Yes the card has its own private key (in fact you can see it on the menu somewhere in security or pairings, I forget) but I was pointing out that we cannot match a key card to a "driver profile". My husband uses his key card 90% of the time and if I was in the car last, he still has to manually change the driver profile to his on the screen.
I see. I'm guessing this functionality could be implemented in the future then. 3-6 months? ;)

RichEV

M3OC Supporting Member
Country
Country
C
As far as I've been able to discern, the answer is "neither". You must select the profile from the center console. Hopefully that will change in the future, as it's a real pain for a tall driver getting in after a short driver drove last time - makes for banged-up knees and heads. :(
Check "Easy Entry" for each driver profile. Then adjust the seat/steering wheel to your preferred position for the "Easy Entry " profile.
From the manual: "You can also check the Use Easy Entry checkbox if you want to save (or use existing) Easy Entry settings in which the driver's seat and the steering wheel are automatically adjusted to make it easy to enter and exit Model 3."

NthMonkey

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
According to the Model 3 Owner's Manual (March 13, 2018 edition):

View attachment 7409

But as far as I can see in my car with firmware 2018.12.1 b39b759, there is no "See what's saved" button. So I thought I'd start this thread to help other new owners.

Here's a (possibly incomplete) list of what I've discovered to be part of a driver's profile. If you see others, please let me know and I'll add them to the list.
  • Seat position
  • Steering wheel position
  • Quick controls
    • Mirror position
    • Mirror Auto Fold
  • Autopilot
    • Cruise Follow Distance
    • Auto Lane Change (if Autosteer is active)
  • Driving
    • Acceleration
    • Steering Mode
    • Regenerative Braking
    • Creep
Thanks for this. As I wait for our 3, figuring this out has been a huge thing for my wife, who has a much different taste for acceleration and interest in fiddling with the technology than I do. Much appreciated.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Heh - wife was complaining that I was always leaving the car in Sport mode - so I explained to her that she must have adjusted something and saved her settings WHILE PLAYING AROUND IN SPORT MODE !!! because my default is Chill Mode. Busted ! - she laughed.

Thanks for posting the list of items savable in the driver profile.