What's the difference between a 18" and 19" wheels?

• If you haven't taken delivery yet or plan on ordering you can still get the 6 months of FREE Supercharging until FERUARY 1 2019 all Model 3s now qualify! Call or email your Tesla delivery advisor and give them this code
  • Winter is here and the forum is starting to get flooded with cold weather threads and posts. Please heed the suggested threads and posts before you post something related to cold weather. This is a great place to start: https://model3ownersclub.com/threads/teslas-in-cold-weather.5271
  • Join @TrevP for Cars and Coffee in South Florida on Feb 3rd! More details here.

arnis

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
The Sport wheels/tires weight 11lbs (total) more than the Aero wheels/tires.
Even though it is estimation, tire (wheel+rim) weight has even more to do with ride quality on bad roads than damper settings.

My thought is go with what you like most because the ride quality difference between the 18” Aeros and 19” Sports is probably negligible.
No. This is not how vehicle dynamics work (especially on regular dampers).
S-owners would likely verify that car feels different on different wheel sizes.
I would remind my longer post few pages back
https://model3ownersclub.com/thread...e-between-a-18-and-19-wheels.4563/#post-38668

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
No. This is not how vehicle dynamics work (especially on regular dampers).
S-owners would likely verify that car feels different on different wheel sizes.
I would remind my longer post few pages back
https://model3ownersclub.com/thread...e-between-a-18-and-19-wheels.4563/#post-38668
I’ll still say the difference is negligible and get what you want. My dad has the S with 21” turbines and it drives like a dream. Could it be “dreamier” with 19s... sure. He’ll never know the difference and all that matters is that the drive is great with the 21s.

The difference between the 19s and 18s on the 3 is less pronounced. The biggest factor really will likely be tire quality more than anything.

Last edited:

GTV6

Country
Country
On my TDI’s I run 3 season Continentals on the 17” stock wheels and winter Nokians on 16” steel wheels. My guess is the two wheels weigh about the same. The combination of tire compliance and sidewalk height make a noticeable difference on rough New England roads. Both are still acceptable, though. I’m going with base wheels for increased range on the model 3

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
It's on page 16. Subconfiguration 1 has 18" wheels/tires and a loaded vehicle weight of 4137, and 1 has 19" wheels/tires and a loaded vehicle weight of 4148lbs.

https://www3.epa.gov/otaq/datafiles/FOI_HTSLV00.0L13_APPIPT1.PDF
I don’t think 2.5 pounds per corner will have a massive impact on our 4000 pound car :)

EDIT: I am going to slightly pull this back. Quick research suggests that in relative terms 1 pound of wheel weight is like 10 pounds of vehicle weight. To that end having wheels/tires that are overall 11 pounds heavier is like adding 110 pounds to the car.

Now I do say slightly pull back because on a 4000 pound vehicle, 110 pounds represents less than 3% of the overall vehicle weight.

Last edited:

svusa11

M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
Thanks for your feedback guys.. I like looks of 19' but not at the cost of ride quality. In Jersey it is almost like a off road driving most of the times. So, softer/less firm ride is preferred. I hope, Tesla offers test drive at some point. Though, there is no official statement about M3 test drives, it almost looks like they plan to skip that step in favor of a blind date! IMO, ordering 50k car without a test drive is extreme.

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Thanks for your feedback guys.. I like looks of 19' but not at the cost of ride quality. In Jersey it is almost like a off road driving most of the times. So, softer/less firm ride is preferred. I hope, Tesla offers test drive at some point. Though, there is no official statement about M3 test drives, it almost looks like they plan to skip that step in favor of a blind date! IMO, ordering 50k car without a test drive is extreme.
You can definitely wait for a test drive, but there will be plenty of early adopters ordering sight unseen (myself included) so it will cost you your spot in line for sure.

arnis

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
If you drop something else, that one inch is a difference of giggling vs impressed faces.

Like I predicted, having only A and upgraded B option will make some emotional chaos.
Tesla should have offered A, upgraded B and upgraded C. Then, majority would be
very happy to pay 1000€$ for 18" aero wheels, instead of 17" boring normal wheels.

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
If you drop something else, that one inch is a difference of giggling vs impressed faces.

Like I predicted, having only A and upgraded B option will make some emotional chaos.
Tesla should have offered A, upgraded B and upgraded C. Then, majority would be
very happy to pay 1000€$ for 18" aero wheels, instead of 17" boring normal wheels.
I'm sure we'll see more options appear over time.

svusa11

M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
You can definitely wait for a test drive, but there will be plenty of early adopters ordering sight unseen (myself included) so it will cost you your spot in line for sure.
good point but more than my spot in the line, I'm worried about US tax credit situation. :tmi: Tesla M3 will be replacing my Honda Accord 2016, so I hope M3 ride quality is close enough to Honda.:pensive:

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
good point but more than my spot in the line, I'm worried about US tax credit situation. :tmi: Tesla M3 will be replacing my Honda Accord 2016, so I hope M3 ride quality is close enough to Honda.:pensive:
Yes absolutely — big swings on the tax credits at the end of every second quarter during the phase out.

From my vantage point, I drive a soft and squishy Hyundai. Before that I drove mostly German cars, so I’m itching to get back to something firmer.

My dad drives a Model S with the 21” turbines. I think the car is firm but still drives like a dream. Not harsh at all. The Model 3 with 19s should be no worse than a Model S with 21s and I’d expect better. I’m good without a test drive :)

jman

What about the real nice rims on the M3, the ones on the red one during April 1 event... I really like those, wonder if will only be available on performance version....

garsh

Dis Member
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
What about the real nice rims on the M3, the ones on the red one during April 1 event... I really like those, wonder if will only be available on performance version....
Those are just wheel covers over top of a fake wheel that integrates fake brake calipers and fake rotors as part of the wheel.
Just came across this photo of the red rolling body that was at the original reveal and the Gigafactory event last summer. Interesting thing is it’s turbine “center-lock hub” wheels are neked here and look like they really are a 5 lug 2-part wheel with the main wheel behind the brake....?
@Mad Hungarian what are we seeing here? Are the turbines just another snap on wheel cover like the areos, but with a really unique wheel behind? Something that only functions on a non-functional prototype without things like brake lines?

Scuffers

Country
Country
Unsprung weight is worth more than 10x for driving comfort.
This is why BMW has part of brake disc made out of aluminium.
Not sure I would agree with this..

Consider the concept of mass damping, there's a reason a 3+ tonne Rolls Royce has a great ride, and it's not low un-sprung weight.

Un-sprung weight is important, however, in context, a huge sprung mass will have a much more dramatic effect on ride quality.

Biggest problem with most modern cars is the obsession with huge rims and rubber-band proportioned tyres, once you drop below ~50 profile, you're always going to be challenged, add to this ever wider tyres and there's your answer.

(Please note that none of this has anything to do with handling)

arnis

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
True. "Ratio between unsprung weight and sprung weight matters" should be more precise.
Though isn't that ratio still way above 10x? Rolls Royce is not a little heavier compared to added unsprung weight:D

50 is the percentage of tire width. Wide tire with 45 profile actually has reasonable sidewalls.
305/45 R18
Though that width adds to unsprung weight which again make things complicated.

JWardell

Legendary Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Arnis is right. And RR has a lot of sprung weight not to mention cash to pour into their suspension components.

The best wording is given the same car and suspension, reduced unsprung weight in the wheels makes a huge difference

Y
et another reason why I would also happily consider 17" rims if they fit around the brakes.